Can I take my food and leave?

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
My YO is a nasty piece of work and is infamous amongst the horsey set in our area.
I gave a months notice and paid up front for amongst other things, she is putting the livery up to unreasonable amounts for what we get and it is just very unpleasant being there.

I am the type of person to keep to myself but if asked for help or advice I will gladly give it.

Due to her slandering me in front of clients (I am moving to a rival yard and have kept this to myself but people talk) and blatantly ignoring me and telling the other liveries not to mention my name around her or else as well as removing my horses' buddy from his paddock and leaving him alone, I sent her an email stating that I was fed up with her and listed everything that I knew about that she and her unqualified instructor had done to me and about me as I could no longer keep quite.
i requested that she either return the rest of my months livery (11 days) or to let me take the feed/hay/sawdust and I would leave immediately as I am clearly no longer welcome.
she point blank refused to do any of the options I gave her.

Do I have a right to take my food (which is included in livery and is paid up) or do I have no right? I a so tempted to go and load horse and feed into my Horsebox but I am not sure of the legal consequences, if there are any.

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
I would love to but I cannot afford to pay double stabling for the rest of the month and my new yard will reduce the cost drastically if I bring my feed and hay.

JustMeThen

Visit site
If you've paid livery, I should think you're entitled to take what that covers. You can't take the actual board you've paid for after all, so I should think she wouldn't have a leg to stand on if you just took the food. Good luck, it's horrible to have an atmosphere like that when you're just trying to enjoy your horse.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You've given a months notice & that will cover the money you've paid. If you wish to leave before that then that is a matter for you but you would not be entitled to a refund of the money paid. The YO can argue that the livery is available for you & it is up to you to wether you avail yourself of it or not. You are in a difficult position but sometimes it's better to cut & run even if it costs you some extra cash.

jam14

Visit site
If you have paid for the month in advance including food etc then I would assume you are entitled to take what you have paid but she does not have to refund you any of the livery month if you leave before the end of the month.

If it was me to be honest I would either seek advice from the citizen advice or the police etc and dont leave yourself open to legal ramifications as she seems the type to not let it go and to make life difficult for you and failing that then just leave and cut your losses regardless of losing out a but on the money.

I would get out of there before it gets any worse although when are due to go? In a weeks time??

bexcy-bee

Visit site
If it's cheaper to move with food, why not buy some bags and then you can move straight away? That won't be much over £20 for food, and a couple of hay bales you could get for £10 to get you going, which would stop hassle from current YO and stop new yard charging too much?

Bexcy-bee x