Can I vaccinate my own horse?

fredflop

Visit site
I’m guessing as a no... however thought may be worth asking.

Horse is dreadfully needle phobic, which I am working on, however never likely to be perfect. I’d suspect When it comes to vaccinations it will be a whole lot calmer if I could actually do it myself, with the vet watching, rather than the vet doing it.

TheMule

Visit site
If your vet trusts you then absolutely, vets are usually happy to let experienced owners give IM injections

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have done. The vet did know me well though. It was a feral Shetland. I think they were glad not to have to do it!

It is against protocol though, so I would speak to the senior vet when booking the appointment, as the receptionist and a junior vet would probably say no.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
When my Dales had a guttural pouch infection my vet was happy for experienced and helpful folk at the livery yard I was using then to give IM injections. I understand it can result in a lump if not done properly though. Have you tried clicker training on your horse?

meleeka

Visit site
I don’t think it’s against any laws but the issue would be if something went wrong would the vet be liable in law? In theory they could ‘prescribe’ the drug for you to administer but might not want to actually supervise. It’s common with livestock for the owner to inject after getting a prescription.

be positive

Visit site
I guess the OP is thinking of flu/tet vaccines rather than antibiotics which vets routinely leave for owners to inject.

I think if you know the vet well they will probably hand it to you to administer under supervision for an easy life but you really would be best spending some time getting the horse relaxed so it is not reactive and make sure you are totally confident giving it if that is what happens otherwise it will be set back even further, the vet cannot prescribe it as they have to fill in the passport and sign it.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
For me, the vet had to be there if I wanted a certificate, as he was signing to say it was administered - so needed to witness it. If it makes any difference the Shetland had tet only and the vet knew I was experienced at injecting already from antibiotics.

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
I have vaccinated all of mine before and will again as it works out cheaper when you have several to do. Ask for a smaller needle so it’s not quite as bothersome for the horse.