Can long boots be stretched?

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
So I've got a dressage comp on my share horse this weekend and since I sold my boy a few years ago my friend has borrowed my lurvely dressage boots to stop them going all stiff and she's a great friend and I didn't want them going to waste.

So I picked them up from her tonight (tied in with a meal and a chin wag nom nom nom) and thought I'd try them on before I took them home, just to make sure they still fit.....

And they don't!!! I've put about a stone on since having my daughter and they're too tight. I can do them up (just!! much hilarity hopping tound pub car park with my mate pulling on the zips) but could feel the pulses in my calves and there's no way I could wear them for any length if time. Let alone ride in them.

Any way I can get them stretched? I live them!!!

Elvis

Visit site
I know when my friend couldn't get her chaps on for a uni competition we had, we heated them up with a hair dryer and managed to get them done up. But I doubt that would help for more than a few seconds. I'd just wear them for as long as possible over the next few days to try and stretch them a bit, and just wear very thin breeches and socks on competition day. Sorry I can't be of more help!

atlantis

Currently wearing flight / compression socks in bed to see if I can get a bit fluid out if my legs to slim them down.

Thanks though will try to wear them a bit round the house. Not sure that'll be enough though. :(

Billabongchick

Visit site
You can put long socks on (old ones you don't mind getting grubby if the dye runs), put boots on and stand in a warm bath with them on until they are properly soaked. Then wear them around house until they dry (so you need to put aside the time you can do this!) Apparently it works as I did a lot of research on the subject not long ago and it's the traditional way to stretch tight boots.

its_noodles

Visit site
forget about it...they can't be stretched
my old pull-on boots were very tight (especially the left leg - must be all the driving...) and i sent them for stretching. they came back and made no difference...
even if u have zip back, the zip will eventually come off when u use ur legs...
dont worry about it, just get a new pair...
merry xmas...
:) :) :)

Fourlegsgood

Visit site
Yes. Brogini have a service where they can stretch their boots by up to one width fitting. So it can be done. You just need to figure out how with other makes!

EllenJay

Visit site
Yes they can be stretched - but they need to be soaked and then have boot stretchers put in to the required width and let them dry out very slowly. Normally takes about a week to dry. If you get them wet they tend to go back to the original size.

atlantis

Ah that explains it a bit they got very wet last year. I'm not fat woo hoo (I am and do need to loose weight).

Can't afford the £400 to replace these boots. (I didn't pay that for them 10 years ago but that's what they cost now).

So it's soak and stretch!! Where to I get boot stretchers from?

My friend suggested elastic inserts!!

Skib

sites.google.com
On the other hand - do you really want to stretch expensive boots? Could you borrow or buy cheaper ones?

I took the opposite line to you. I was afraid of stretching my posh boots when my weight went up. So I made a rule not to wear them, if my weight was higher than the day we bought them. Two years later my weight is healthy again and my boots still perfect.

Hackie

Visit site
Ive had mine stretched, it didn't do them any harm.

Ive done the bath thing (also didn't do them any harm), but that was more to break them in than stretch them.

Mine are fairly expensive Cavallos, and this was all done on the recommendtion of the person who sold them to me (in fact they stretched them for me, I personally wouldn't try it myself, I'd only get it done by a a professional), good boots should really be very hard to wreck.

I'm wearing mine this weekend for the first time in going on 3.5 years, fortunately I just lost a bit of weight recently so I should be okay, but I have been told that if you stretch them and then don't wear them, they will go back to their original size.

ETA if you do have fluid in your legs, try a diuretic, Ive used one before to get fluid out of mine before I got them stretched.

Last edited:

TandD

Visit site
I bought some leather boot stretch spray.....about £5 and now my boots go up much easier! Just spray the boots inside and out, put foot/leg in, do up and walk round in to stretch.
Go to a shoe shop.....got mine from brantano.

atlantis

Thanks for all the replies. I wore them today with my flight socks on and managed to ride in them. Allowing my heals to drop down was a bit painful but they eased up a little. I managed to walk around in them a bit afterwards too.

I might try the spray thing I'll have a look. There's a brantano nearby!!

I do need to loose some weight. I think this might be the incentive I need!! Like trying to slim into your wedding dress!!!

I do love my boots!!

GlamourDol

Visit site
Put them in the oven on a low heat, (aga is best if you have one) and put them straight on.
There is a post about it on the BD forum somewhere.

I've also found someone who will stretch my Konigs and they have a side zip, so it can be done!