Can Mud Fever cause Lameness

Madrid

Visit site
Hi Everyone,
I've had my mare for 1 month today, she came to me with mud fever on her. 2 have cleared up, the back hindlegs, especially one, is taking much longer. At times there is swelling, sometimes some warmth, sometimes a bit of stiffness. Has anyone else experienced this in their horse? Also, any suggestions to clear it up quicker would be appreciated!
confused.gif

Nailed

Visit site
remove the scabs and spray with iodine, purple spray, saltwater and then leave to dry. Mud fever loves the warmth and dampness so if you can, keep the legs dry and clean and remove the scabs daily. the skin will still heal.

Also if the horse is lame, speek to you vet and he may decided it is nesacery to treat with anti-biotics.
lou x

joanne1920

Visit site
If youve had her a month and her legs are swollen, i would personally call the vet as she may need antibiotics as its sounds like its infected especially if shes stiff too, the sooner she has antibiotics the sooner it will heal and go away.
If you look under cracked heels on a gypsy cob i was given some fantastic advice on there, Jo x

icemaiden113

Visit site
It certainly can make her sore, i would give her a jab of pen- strep, keep the area dry and clean, put some caster oil and zinc cream on (chaeper than what the vet gives but the same) and see how she goes, if it's really bad you will prob need to re jab her after 3 days!

samp

Visit site
If there is an infection this can make any horse lame. I suspected ym horse had mud fever recently/ got minor infection as a hind limb was swollen with heat, no lameness so we out her on a course of antibiotics and bute with box rest and then applied antibiotic cream to any little nicks etc on leg

Madrid

Visit site
I have been cleaning it with diluted betadine then nitrofurazone. It was working well, I went away for a few days, the caretaker did nothing to it, and now the scabs are back. So back to the vaseline to soften the scabs and remove them, then I'll start again.

rcm_73

Visit site
My horse had swollen fetlocks with it last year and slight heat although never went lame. So far (touch wood!) this winter she hasn't developed any, I use Sportabac turnout chaps on and off (bit of a pain having only one set as have to wash them alot) and I leave any mud to dry in the stable overnight then brush all mud off in the morning and making sure the skin is really clean I apply a barrier. The biggest mistake I think I made last year was that I washed the mud off every night and tried to dry the area (probably not very successfully). Or it could be that I've moved yards and the soil doesn't contain the particular bacteria. This year though..so far so good!

josie_s

Visit site
My girl has 4 white stockings and got it really bad last year. Even on her tummy from being in the wet school. She's a sensitive soul.
I did many of the things mentioned above and had to keep her in a totally dry enviroment too before it would clear up completely.
This year though we have it sussed (so far anyway)(fingers crossed). When she gets wet I wash it off (as leaving it to dry last year is what caused the problem) and then she wears Thermatex leg wraps to dry off with.