Can someone explain Day Tickets to me?

eventingblog

eventing-blog.com
I'm sitting here in the US trying to write an article on the differences between US and UK eventing......

For my sins, I get to read BOTH the BE and the USEA rule books and try to write something entertaining about the differences in the rules.

I have read and re-read the Day Ticket stuff in the BE rules and I still don't get it. Is a Day Ticket a discounted way of paying entry fees or is it a way to get higher in the ballot? Here in the US, all the competitions set their own entry fees, you mail your entry on opening day and they pretty much accept you on a first come first served basis. The trick is to get your entry postmarked on the Tuesday six weeks before the event, then you can be pretty much guaranteed to get in.

So, I'm confused about Day Tickets
blush.gif
....can someone help me out? Sorry for being the dumb American
confused.gif

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

Thanks
Margie
http://eventing-blog.com

Edited to add: Sorry, being even more dumb, I meant to enter this in the competition forum but think I entered it in Latest News. I'm going to copy it over to the competition forum too - hope that doesn't break any posting rules.....

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Perpared to be shot down as not sure I have this right, but here goes. Day tickets are purchased by people who are not British Eventing Members, so they can compete in a particular competion, without paying for a years membership (not sure I have the terminology correct). Think the idea is to give riders the chance to try without having to affiliate.

eventingblog

eventing-blog.com
Ah - so would that be similar to our our $25 "non-member" fee? You can compete at USEA competitions here at Beginner Novice (which I think is one level below your Intro) without joining USEA or registering your horse. You just pay $25 extra for each competition you enter. Although after a couple of competitions, its cheaper to join USEA.

Above that, you have to pay to be a member of USEA and ride a USEA registered horse. USEA registration for horses is free until you reach Prelim (I think our Prelim = your Pre-Novice). After that, your horse has to be USEF registered (USEF is not the same as USEA) but its not too expensive to get them life registered, maybe about 100 GBP and after that you don't have to register them again unless you sell them, in which case the new owner pays about 50 GBP to transfer ownership.

Thanks for the info!

Margie
http://eventing-blog.com