Can someone explain?

eahotson

Visit site
Why, if I write here or to a general newspaper for instance, and use words like bl***y or f**k in their entirety I will be berated. Family forums etc. However it is quite alright to have printed on front pages of newspaper and on all television news at very early hours of the evening graphic pics of a man being executed? Whay does this say about our values? How do we explain all this to the kiddies?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I so agree! I can't be the only one to equate the esculating violence almost anywhere with the increasingly senseless disregard for sensibilities from editors who think it's the way to sell newspapers can I?
It's not that long ago that you would never see a dead body shown in the papers or on tv; the same goes for swearing too and it was a real shock when it happened. Now it is on a daily basis. It seems the more you see of it, the more people copy it or think of other gory ways and so it goes on.

It's a very sad world when they can't give people respect - everyone has a family somewhere to be hurt by these pictures and reports and certain things should remain private and not pander to sensationalism imo.

hairycob

Visit site
Have to agree. I switched over from News 24 yesterday as I felt the repeated showing of the pictures of SH being prepared for execution weere inappropriate. I getting in a bit of a habit of complaining to the BBC & The Telegraph lately. usually about headlines that bear no realtionship to the facts of ther story

Sooty

Visit site
Totally agree. I remember warnings being given before the news in the days of IRA atrocities, now extreme violence and bodies lying in blood are shown regularly at all hours of the day. With this, we have sunk to a new low.

helenevans71

Visit site
Why do you have to resort to swearing when the English language enables the user to find words far more expressive than b....., b......., f..., c..., etc? I once had an altercation with a coloured gentleman who questioned my size, colour and sexual orientation. I answered "Can I help it if your mother fornicated with a baboon?" to which (obviously) he had no answer!!!!!!

eahotson

Visit site
That wasn't really the point I was trying to make.Swearing can be unpleasant but I would rather listen to that or see my children (if I had any now) read that than see a real life person put to death.

Puppy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you have to resort to swearing when the English language enables the user to find words far more expressive than b....., b......., f..., c..., etc? I once had an altercation with a coloured gentleman who questioned my size, colour and sexual orientation. I answered "Can I help it if your mother fornicated with a baboon?" to which (obviously) he had no answer!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG and you're proud of that?!
shocked.gif

I think swearing is far more preferable than racism!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

helenevans71

Visit site
Puppy, why do you automatically call my remark racist? I was
just stating the fact that you don't have to resort to swearing, and my comment would be made to anyone who behaved boorishly, whether he was pink, yellow, brown or sky blue!
Please don't start putting labels on people.

OP have to agree that seeing someone put to death is not something anyone should have to witness.

JustKickOn

Visit site
imo, i think its sick that it was even filmed, fair enough, people wanted it as proof to show he was dead. but putting it on TV at times young kids are just finishing watching their programmes they watch some man being hung. personally, i didnt watch it, but i've seen in the paper (5 page article about it!) pictures of him actually swinging from the rope. made me feel ill.

S_L_J

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It's a very sad world when they can't give people respect - everyone has a family somewhere to be hurt by these pictures and reports and certain things should remain private and not pander to sensationalism imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ditto that sentiment entirely.

Sophie x x x

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
imo, i think its sick that it was even filmed, fair enough, people wanted it as proof to show he was dead.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, but you're placing your own (western) values on the whole thing. In many Arab nations, executions are public.
[ QUOTE ]
.. but putting it on TV at times young kids are just finishing watching their programmes they watch some man being hung. personally, i didnt watch it, but i've seen in the paper (5 page article about it!) pictures of him actually swinging from the rope. made me feel ill.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think they showed the whole thing, did they? I'm not in the UK so don't know. In any case, yes, I think that was an error of judgement, but probably based on the fact that these days people are so used to violence on TV... not really an excuse though, is it? We should be trying to make people LESS used to it!

the watcher

Visit site
I think as a society we have become numb to foul language, scenes of violence and appalling behaviour..but the reality is that in our dumbed down society these are the very things that sell newspapers and attract viewers to television. Big Brother. ladettes and nasty computer games are all representative of this.

Strange that in Arab countries death is so public but there are so many other strictures on the public, women in particular.

If I could exist in a world without mindless TV and reporting, I would, however still couldn't escape the fact that everybody else seems to be watching/reading it.

Puppy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Puppy, why do you automatically call my remark racist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm, because you referred to the person you made the remark to as "coloured" which is considered a derogatory "label".

smirk.gif

However, yes, as you have proved, you do not need to swear to be incredible offensive....!!

smirk.gif

the watcher

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm, because you referred to the person you made the remark to as "coloured" which is considered a derogatory "label".
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Considered by whom? the PC Police? I despair of ever finding the right word to describe anything these days, and it seems to change with mind spinning regularity.

flying_change

photobucket.com
"also would you have believed they had hung saddam if it hadn't been shown . "

Unfortunately there's a terrible pragmatism needed here. If the hanging had not been recorded and televised, there would be one faction saying he was still alive and trying to break into the prison to rescue him, and another trying to break in to kill him.

Puppy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Considered by whom? the PC Police? I despair of ever finding the right word to describe anything these days, and it seems to change with mind spinning regularity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny as I was discussing this with one of my supervisors just the other day:

Taken from the BBC News Magazine -:

[ QUOTE ]
So is the word "coloured" offensive, or just dated? And why?

"It's wrong," says Toyin Agbetu of Ligali, an African-British human rights organisation. "Because it strips me of my identity and reduces me to the most superficial physical identifier, as opposed to my African ethnicity."

The term was common parlance in the 1960s, but its origins are the problem, says Mr Agbetu. It comes from the ideology of racism, that white people are white, and everyone else is somehow other coloured. It fails to recognise that everyone has an ethnicity and is an inadequate "one-size-fits all" description.

Nor was it a term chosen by those it refers to, but instead imposed by the wider - and white - society.

Those who still use the term tend to be from older generations, he says, but adds that if they knew the history of the word, perhaps they would think again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gingernags

Visit site
So what is the correct term as you can't say "non white" or if you say "Asian" or "African" and you are wrong, thats still offensive?

I don't find it offensive being called white which is surely what other ethnic groups would call me?

Actually what annoys me most in the whole PC argument is that it is only ever "white people" that are racist to "coloured people" and you'd think it never happened the other way round - yet some ethnic minorities are more racist than the "white" population.

I think it all goes too far really, on all sides, I really hate political correctness - I even heard the other day of someone who always goes on about going to Personchester - and it was figured out that the silly woman wouldn't call Manchester that as it was a sexist name - FFS - get a grip!!!!!

Sooty

Visit site
I suppose the remark could be called racist because you felt it necessary to mention that the man was coloured. Children in particular do not 'see' colour, and will refer to their friends as 'the one with the curly hair' or whatever. It is something news reports are often guilty of.

SusieJane

Visit site
Going back to whats shown on TV....

... I have kids, and they've seen a lot more than I ever did on TV (news etc), and although you can't shield your kids from real life I do object to soaps (that sometimes kids relate more to) showing violence, deaths and crime.

I had to explain to my then 10 year old daughter what "rape" was, as it was being shown/discussed on Coronation Street at the time ~ at 7.30pm!!

helenevans71

Visit site
Puppy, just as well your dog listens to you - perhaps you'd better roll over and wait for someone to tickle your tummy and bring a smile to your little face:)

Perhaps we of a "certain age" (your quote) pine for the right of freedom of speech, where education meant exactly that, and the same for Justice, when prison was not an alternative holiday, where you could count on respect for our Policemen, and a good service from the National Health, and our parents weren't robbed of their homes to pay for care, where our armed forces were kept in the manner befitting the role they were to take in protecting this beloved country, when Government interference was kept to a minimum and Europe did not impose their rule over our Sovereignty, where 8 year olds did not have homosexuality thrust on them in progressive school lessons, where teenage pregnancy rates were not the worst in Europe, and where immigration was kept to a manageable level, and where 5 young women were murdered because they had fallen prey to the evils of drugs, brought into this country by Eastern Europeans and Jamaicans who flout the laws because the Police are too busy ticking Governmental boxes that have nothing to do with proper, old fashioned policing, and where just using a cash machine could mean that you lose your identity and all your cash.

I have travelled the world and have not objected to being called Mother England. Mrs Whitey, White Mamma etc, I'm not that sensitive, so what has brought this false sensitivity for political correctness into our daily lives....

In fact I yearn for the good old days when you could call a spade a spade without recriminations.....I know that I am not alone in this. My contribution ends here. No wonder so many people are leaving this country!

Puppy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Puppy, just as well your dog listens to you - perhaps you'd better roll over and wait for someone to tickle your tummy and bring a smile to your little face:)

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm, yessss
crazy.gif
what a totally random response! Erm, I don't really want anyone touching my tummy ta v much...!
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps we of a "certain age" (your quote) pine for the right of freedom of speech, where education meant exactly that, and the same for Justice, when prison was not an alternative holiday, where you could count on respect for our Policemen, and a good service from the National Health, and our parents weren't robbed of their homes to pay for care, where our armed forces were kept in the manner befitting the role they were to take in protecting this beloved country, when Government interference was kept to a minimum and Europe did not impose their rule over our Sovereignty, where 8 year olds did not have homosexuality thrust on them in progressive school lessons, where teenage pregnancy rates were not the worst in Europe, and where immigration was kept to a manageable level, and where 5 young women were murdered because they had fallen prey to the evils of drugs, brought into this country by Eastern Europeans and Jamaicans who flout the laws because the Police are too busy ticking Governmental boxes that have nothing to do with proper, old fashioned policing, and where just using a cash machine could mean that you lose your identity and all your cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm sure you, and many, wish for all those things.... in much the same way that people of certain enthnicities wish to be treated as equals and don't want to be called "coloured" as they find it derogatory.... But it still happens hey?!
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have travelled the world and have not objected to being called Mother England. Mrs Whitey, White Mamma etc,

[/ QUOTE ]

How wonderfully quaint, sounds like something out of an Evelyn Waugh novel (Handful of Dust, Black Mischief and Brideshead Revisited all spring to mind)
grin.gif
.... and you're aware of what happened to most of the characters in such scenarios because of their ignorance..........
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not that sensitive, so what has brought this false sensitivity for political correctness into our daily lives....

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I seeee
smirk.gif
People shouldn't be so sensitive, because you aren't as sensitive....! Ahhh, gottcha!
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
In fact I yearn for the good old days when you could call a spade a spade without recriminations.....I know that I am not alone in this. My contribution ends here. No wonder so many people are leaving this country!

[/ QUOTE ]

No you're not alone in this. I'm sure many Daily Mail readers agree with you
wink.gif
wink.gif