Can someone help me interpret a test sheet comment please?

MissSBird

Visit site
Did a little RC dressage competition with Barnaby yesterday, and quite pleased with his performance :)

Per usual for the moment, canter was a bit babyish, but one of the comments I don't quite follow. It was for AKEHC working canter. Movement got a 6 and says 'losing balance, coming onto shoulders'.

Obviously can understand losing balance, but the second part I'm a little unsure of. Is it just an alternative way to say coming onto forehand, or is it more technical than that?

Any help appreciated!

applecart14

Visit site
It might be that he was not very straight and was falling in a little too. My horse tends to throw his quarters to the inside when cantering up the long side of the arena, its hard to keep them straight sometimes.

measles

Visit site
I take that to mean on the forehand but in such a way that the inside shoulder was leading on the circle or long side, ie he was putting his weight forward and inwards through his shoulders, most usually with at least a slight flex of the the head and neck to the outside.

MissSBird

Visit site
Thanks guys. All of those make sense, and measles I think yours is probably bang on...we're having issues with straighteness and correct bend in the canter on that rein at the moment.

Thanks!