Can someone help with saddle sizes?

Pmf27

Visit site
I'm trying to buy loan pony a cheap numnah/saddle pad and I'm having a struggle.

He's only 14.2 and yet his saddle, if I've measured correctly, is 19 inches???

When I look on manufacturer sizing guides, those that have their numnah/pad sizes corresponding with saddle sizes all have "18inch or bigger" as the absolute largest size of saddle. For a pony, he surely can't have the biggest possible saddle that manufacturers cater for, can he?!

I've tried to find a decent site that helps with measuring a saddle for a pad but they're all either western saddles, or just telling you how to measure a saddle for a rider.

Pmf27

Visit site
I'd suggest you've not measured right - from nail head to the middle of the cantle - I'd expect maybe 17 for a 14.2 tops probably more like 16.5 a cob or medium size saddle pad should do fine

Yes I suspect I have measured incorrectly too. But am not sure where exactly to measure ?

I know I sound completely inept, but I've tried Google and it's not helping at all. I measured from the widest point of the flaps, to the cantel - is that the correct way to measure for a pad? That is the measurement that gave me 19inches.

Or should I have simply measured from pommel to cantle? I had thought that measuring from widest point of the flaps would have been correct given that the pad surpasses them by an inch or so?

Abacus

Visit site
Measure from the nail head/ stud to the centre of the cantle. The stud will be just below and in a bit from the pommel. Usually has the makers brand on it. Pictures on the link below might help. For a 14.2 I would also expect it to be from 16” to 17”. And that a cob or medium numnah would be a good fit for 16 or 16.5, maybe a full size for a 17”.

https://marystack.com/blog/how-to-measure-an-english-saddle/

Pmf27

Visit site
Thank you all! You've demystified it all for me.

I had thought that "measuring a saddle" and "measuring a saddle for a pad" were two different things ??‍♀️

Everyday's a school day haha. Thank you again, huge help!

Leandy

Visit site
For a saddle pad for a 14.2 I would buy either cob or full size depending on how chunky the pony is and yes, size of saddle he is wearing. Our lightweight 14.2 with a 17" saddle generally had cob size pads but full size worked also although might come up a bit deep and wrinkle under the girth.

Widgeon

Visit site
For a saddle pad for a 14.2 I would buy either cob or full size depending on how chunky the pony is and yes, size of saddle he is wearing. Our lightweight 14.2 with a 17" saddle generally had cob size pads but full size worked also although might come up a bit deep and wrinkle under the girth.

Me too, IME cob sized pads are not very generous. Unless he's a really fine or short backed pony, I'd go for a slightly bigger pad, in a cut that fits the saddle properly so it doesn't look silly. Nothing worse than having to fiddle around tacking up so the edges of the pad don't get caught under the panels. I have a little horse in a 17" saddle and always buy full size pads.

Pmf27

Visit site
Me too, IME cob sized pads are not very generous. Unless he's a really fine or short backed pony, I'd go for a slightly bigger pad, in a cut that fits the saddle properly so it doesn't look silly. Nothing worse than having to fiddle around tacking up so the edges of the pad don't get caught under the panels. I have a little horse in a 17" saddle and always buy full size pads.

That's helpful to know, thank you! I did have a look at one of his existing saddle pads and it's a large, so I'll bear this in mind.