Can tooth extraction cause eyesight problems?

Hollyanna

Visit site
random question, can a tooth extraction cause eyesight problems?

Bit of history - my boy has recently had an upper molar removed, he was also treated for sinusitis. The dentist that removed the tooth said it was huge and deformed.

So fast forward, all treatments are now done and given the go ahead to start riding again. However he is now incredibly sharp and spooky and regularly sh*ts himself at random stuff - a slight noise in the school, his shadow on the school wall, bit of the arena surface flicking up at side of school, the school wall itself - he was never like this before, it is a massive overreaction at something that has never bothered him. It is just so out of character that I am at a loss. Sometimes he freaks out when I put the headcollar on also, I undo the clip underneath his chin and leave head piece done up, and slip it over his head, however I have had a couple of incidents recently where I’ve got his nose in and just lifting it over his ears, as it goes past his eyes and he has completely freaked out and ran backwards, galloping off - it’s very strange and it does seem to be relating to his eye that’s the same side as the tooth removal.....

I haven’t checked his eyes yet as it only just occurred to me this evening that spooking could indicate an eye problem (it’s probably totally not, but I want to work through possibilities!!). He has never been spooky like this, he’s got me off once and a few very near misses, as he’s so quick and it’s out of nowhere.

Anyone know if tooth surgery can cause eye problems? How involved are the facial nerves around these teeth? Or has anyone had something like this happen from nowhere and find out what the cause was?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I don’t think it’s likely to have caused eye issues but nerve or other pain around the site yes that’s possible you need to talk to the vet on Monday .

Hollyanna

Visit site
Thank you for your responses - I must admit I’m slightly apprehensive about saying to my vet I think my horse has another issue - I’m going to have a good investigation this afternoon before I decide what to do - thanks guys!

SusieT

Visit site
I'd say it is definitely possible but pain in the area is also a possibility. I'd be getting a detailed head assessment done by your vet.