can trotters jump???

lisa_lou

Visit site
My mum has just recently bought a cob x trotter and ive known a few that find it hard to canter when ridden and also doesnt jump. Is this true?

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
Pacers and trotters that have been trained to race in their respective gaits struggle to canter initially, but can (and have) been successfully retrained. As for jumping, my friend has been jumping in competitions this summer on her pacer whilst also racing him!

Check out the STAGBI (Standardbred and Trotting Horse Association of GB and Ireland) facebook page, www.facebook.com/STAGBI where you can find a photo album of pacers and trotters doing all sorts, including jumping!

Sarah

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
We have a standardbred who was bred to pace although she never raced. She can certainly jump. Learning to canter in a school just took a while especially as she is 16.3 and found it a bit tight to get her balance.

ossy

Visit site
I had a trotter x who I BE'd, his xc canter was actually pretty good but his dressage/SJ canter was awful to start with. But like anything a bit of correct training and practice he was great. I also did couple of working hunters with him but he was always marked down as soon as the judges felt his canter :rolleyes:

nikCscott

Visit site
I had a pacer out of harness and although his canter was like riding an ironing board good god could he jump!

We went through the ranks quickly to JA and he went on to jump for Wales and Holland.

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
Some very lovely pictures on there;);):D

I'm always open to more, if anybody knows anyone with a Standardbred being ridden that they want to show off! I'm probably doing everyone's nuts in about this but they're a breed that I love and am so passionate about.

I have actually heard that there's a guy out in Germany who breeds trotters specifically for showjumping. Not all of them have the knack for it (my first pacer catleaped everything) but my friend's lad Bon Hasty is a total pro, it was pretty much a case of pointing him towards a fence and over he went, no problem! :)

Mlini

Visit site
I used to ride a trotter that could jump. It was all done with a rather strange technique though!!

The canter is the hardest thing to get, jumping is easier as they can jump from the trot.

Shantara

Visit site
They certainly can :D
(Please ignore me!)

XCJumping035-1.jpg

Nedy.jpg

557638_10151027578442888_63234404_n.jpg

Standardbred ex pacer!

jess2353

Visit site
When I brought mine all she knew was trotting & everytime I asked for canter she would just buck & stay in trot has taken a lot of hard work, & patience but slowly but surely she's starting to learn :) she can jump too ;)

JFTDWS

Visit site
lass I used to vaguely know had a fab one for a while...

[youtube]1Op-vsvuV0o&feature=channel&list=UL[/youtube]

stormox

Visit site
Zara's Pride- a trotter who jumped grand prix with Peter Smyth. When she won at the RDS a few years ago she did her lap of honour in trot- the other placings were almost galloping to keep up!

alext

Visit site
Yep my old boy could! Pacing into a jump can be a bit scary though!!I only got him cause he got fed up of jumping 3ft plus. but boy could he jump only on his terms mind which was always rather fast! Miss him so much :(
southerncounties5.jpg

wheelsatlangford.jpg

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
JFTD - that video is fantastic! 'Frisco' is actually one of the top studs in the harness racing world, they recently sold a yearling to Ireland at the York sale for over £5k (I know it doesn't sound like a huge amount when you consider the prices of TB yearlings, but for a Standardbred that's a fair amount!).

If anybody wants to send me any photos of their Standies jumping, feel free. I've already posted a link to the STAGBI Facebook page so you can see where the photos go, and I also write an article in the 'Standardbred News' newsletter about Standardbreds after/outside of racing, in which I also publish the photos. I've got a huge gap to bridge between harness racing folk and horse riders with Standardbreds, but I'm taking up the challenge!

The mad TB

Visit site
Yes they can!
Please can we have piccies?!

Go on youtube and search for 'Gezzcanezz' Murphy her horse is a trotter cross :)
Also, if you search 'EquiiAlly' then the pony she used to ride, Lucy, was a trotter cross and had the most amazing extended trot! She's now in Sweden doing FEI pony events, you can search 'Timaru' or 'Tiramu' cant quite remember :rolleyes: ...

gill84

Visit site
My ex trotter raced for 11 years before I was given him. I had him jumping in a few weeks, did pony club, unaffilated show jumping, cross country etc and he was an absolute star. Paced everywhere and got some funny looks but jumped his heart out

calon

Visit site
I rode a lot of trotters out in my younger days for a trainer ,and sometimes bought one cheap which hadnt made the grade on the track and re trained them to be ridings horses i had two which made super jumpers one got the cantering quite esy and went on to show jump th eother found a decent collected canter difficult so couldnt mange show jumping but was great x country i did loads over the years some did really well othes only ever paced never learned to change their gate .

eventer28

Visit site
Have you heard of the international showjumping stallion called Galoubet A? He was out of a mare called Viti who was a full TROTTER. His famous son Baloubet du Rouet is 1/4 trotter.

x-di-x

Visit site
Eventer 28, thanks for that I couldn't remember the name. x.

I don't mean to hijack your thread but let me tell you about a fantastic horse called Delboy. He came to us in August 1992. prior to that Delboy was a very successful showjumper... Del was 15 years old when he came to us.

Del was a pacer....

Del was competed very successfully in the late 1980's early 1990's round the showjumping circuit, He retired unbeaten. He tried his hand a puissannce, jumping a respectibale 6'11'' and would happily have jumped higher (if the jockey was brave enough).

Del came to us to be "retired" from competative showjumping, he was to be a happy hacker, doing the odd fun showjumping course and to help bring me on in showjumping. He taught me so much more than an instructor/trainer ever did in respect of sj'ing. Del had 3 fabulous paces, walk, canter and gallop. He also paced!!!!so we never trotted!!!!.

Del competed in the odd fun show, we done a dressage test - which we got very good comments at, we just missed out all the trotting!!!! he took part in endurance, and even pony club games (but shhh don;t tell anyone that!!! He only did it when he thought no one was looking)

Del was the most fabulous horse I have ever had the pleasure of owning/riding. he could also be a contancerous old sod and if he took a disliking to you the god help you!!! He left a lasting impression on all those that met him no mater how breif their encounter was.

In my experience trotters/pacers are the most fabulous loyal horses you will ever find, they are versitile and strong, and will give everything for their owner/rider. they just need someone special who is prepared to give them time and do things a bit different. Del is not the first pacer I had - I also had a mare - Louie - Princess Louise - who we did manage to get trotting properly - but you had to forget what you were taught in rs to be able to acheive it - she also did a fantastic dressage test and had the most amazing sitting trot - she also jumped fantastically. Just because pacers/trotters or the standerbred breed in general is not "in vouge" in the showjumping world, do not discount them they can give any horse a run for it's money.

Sadly Delboy was PTS yesterday at the grand old age of 35. up until last winter, he was still jumping, and clearing, 5 bar gates from a standstill xx...

Shantara

Visit site
he was still jumping, and clearing, 5 bar gates from a standstill xx...

What a lovely story! I think Ned could do fantastically well (not as well as Delboy) given the right rider. That last line is Ned's favourite trick!
Just a few days ago, I was tacking up a different horse, when Ned comes thundering into the field next to me "Who left the gate open!?!?!?!" I go and check...the gate was firmly shut! They're such funny things :p

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
My mum has just recently bought a cob x trotter and ive known a few that find it hard to canter when ridden and also doesnt jump. Is this true?

It may or may not be true.

But, presumably when your mum tried the horse she did all these things, and was happy with the horses performance??

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
Sadly Delboy was PTS yesterday at the grand old age of 35. up until last winter, he was still jumping, and clearing, 5 bar gates from a standstill xx...

I am so sorry to hear that, because he sounded like such a wonderful horse.

You guys have got me welling up a bit sat here reading all the stories about your pacers and trotters. Most people are very quick to say these horses can't do things that other horses can, whereas each one of you has been quick to say your horse has done, and will continue to do, whatever you throw at them :D

Keep promoting the breed guys, you make my mission in life so much easier and much more enjoyable :)