Can we fess up to our ages, and how we keep going??

Triskar

Visit site
Will be 60 Saturday week - currently in a full time job and riding 3 - one my old Arab, likes to take the dogs out in the woods, and he needs to work every day, so that's his job every morning, then I've my just 5 year old Arab, to school and hack, and my 16 year old mare schooling and hacking. Plus I lunge my OH's horse a couple of times a week. Sheer bloody mindedness that keeps me going - and the physio, of course!

Triskar

Visit site
I just get up at 5:30.... And because OH and I dance (ballroom & latin), 2 nights a week I only get 6 hours sleep (7 on other nights!) There'll be plenty of time for sleeping when I'm in my box!

pottamus

Visit site
I am only 39 but do find things harder than they used to years ago...not helped by my set up - which will be changed this year anyway. I have troubles with arthritis in my feet, back problems if I overdo things and am exhausted by the end of the day. I get up at 5am every day to ride before work and do the mucking out etc, work full time (self employed with own business) and have some evening jobs every other month also.
I find though that the fitter I am the better things are to cope with and better my body is at dealing with it too. By fit I mean a serious sweat work out a few times a week. So I cycle around the hills 4 times a week and clock up 100-150 miles a week....which really helps...if a little hard at the time!

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
Ill be 48 this year and got my first horse at 14. Must admit do feel a bit stiff and sore and have trouble getting out of bed if I've ridden the day before.
Must tell you all though, my lovely YO is a 'mere' 92 years young and he was still riding up until two weeks ago. He has been poorly of late so has not been able to ride recently.
Apparently he arrives in the yard all suited and booted in his riding kit and says get my horse ready and then spends an hour careering around the indoor at a canter on his neddy.
I'm yet to see him ride but I'm told he is quite good.

Dr_Horse

Visit site
My boss is 62 and hunt 2 horses every weekend with 2 different packs..... does all the stable duties and rides out 7 days a week without fail! and runs a company!!

amazing!

jnb

Visit site
My Mum is 68 and her horse Midas 24 this year - combined age of 92!
He was always kept at grass till 3 years ago when Mum had surgery to her shoulder.
Now, she's on the same yard as me (46 1/4) and my show cob (12 -ish!!) and is up at the yard with me at 6.45 to turn out and muck out - she rides more than me I think though one of her shoulders is irreparably damaged and needs replacing (but the surgeon says she'll have to stop riding - so she won;t have it done!)

I have a cyst on one of my disks in my back and bad sciatic pain plus a dodgy shoulder but I cope with a combination of co-codamol, anti inflammatories and physio.
Mum copes with lots of tea, anti-inflammatories and the occasional nerve block!!

Loving the stories people have shared.
I'm guessing the future will be littered with mad purple haired old ladies passing right hand to right hand and not giving a flying ********!! :D

Vanner

Visit site
I am 48 and have been riding all my life and have the arthritis to prove it! I struggle with arthritis in my hands, ankles, lower back and neck but it doesn't stop me from riding my beautiful Vanner cob, who I trust totally and who looks after me like a parent, and makes allowances for my weaknesses; I simply cannot get on from the ground, so he stands like a statue by the mounting block sucking on a piece of seaside rock (I keep a ready supply for him!), while I struggle to lift my leg up, get my foot twisted enough to get it in the stirrup and haul my ass up! he never ever pulls me about, I am sure he knows that my hands won't take it, I don't have to pull on the reins to stop him if my hands are bad and we have a canter .. I simply tell him to "whoa down" and he gently pulls up to a walk. Sometimes I even struggle to get off, but again, he stands and patiently waits for me to figure out how I can actually swing my leg over with the least amount of pain, and then lets me use him as my anchor so I don't fall over if my ankle gives way or my back is screaming .. I have even hung on the side of him fearing putting my feet down as I know it will hurt and he just stands there!!!

I did my first Fun Ride last weekend in about 10 years, I had the time of my life, it made me feel young again - galloping up hills, popping logs and generally "whizzing" about ... suffered terrible for a week after though! LOL!!!

To top it all I am also a insulin dependant diabetic and that can be very debilitating, but my horse gives me the impulsion to get my arse up out of the chair and get out there and not sit about moping about health, pain and generally getting old!

Three cheers for my wise old (although he's only 8!) cob .. he is my friend and my lifeline to sanity and I wouldn't be without him!!!