Can you be a better teacher than rider?

Hattie05

New User
Visit site
I went to help with my friend's lessons today and i haven't been having proper regular lessons myself for a while, so my riding is going a little off track. However I was able to pick up on little things whilst they were jumping, but thinking about it i probably wouldn't have been brave enough to jump as big as they were so i felt rather bad about offering advice when i wouldn't be jumping that big/technical myself? So is it possible to be a better teacher than rider?! My best friend also used to be my instructor and i've learnt a lot about how you should ride/how the horse should go from her teaching me and me watching her ride and teach over the years, could this be why? sorry if this doesn't make sense, i'm just very curious!

bigboyrocky

Visit site
i know alot of brilliant trainers who dont ride very well!! but i knoe of a case where someone thinks they are a good rider (and imo is AWFUL) who teaches, which would put me off having lessons with her completely.. so yes, but it can be more appealing to a client if you can ride well aswell or have good competition record etc
smile.gif

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Definitely!

You know the old saying ythose that can do and those that can't teach
tongue.gif

Seriously though some people are better at seeing things and articulating what they see. Even my non horsy husband can be quiet good at picking things up when he is watching - surprises me sometimes
grin.gif
On the other hand there are some people who are fantastic riders but could never teach at all.

katie402

Visit site
I think so.

non horsey but I had a friend who was an amazing snowboarding instructor, really really brilliant and always being requested by clients, but put him on a snowboard himself and he was rubbish!!

indiat

Visit site
I can always see what my daughter is doing wrong and yet I have the same bad habits/problems and never get it right!
tongue.gif

Lolo

Visit site
I am- unless it's my sister where she doesn't listen (unless she's quite nervous or stressed) because I am quite good at appraising a situation and seeing solutions. Ridingwise I know what I'm meant to do but I can't seem to do it!

deicinmerlyn

Visit site
Yes definately!

I am a better teacher than rider now I am too old to have the quick reactions/ability I used to have.

Look at the great Dot Willis!

Hattie05

New User
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ridingwise I know what I'm meant to do but I can't seem to do it!

[/ QUOTE ]

this is my problem-i know exactly how to do things but sometimes it doesn't just happen! This makes me feel a bit better as i'm intending to go and work in canada for a year preferably as a riding instructor, but apart from teaching at a kids camp i have no written 'evidence' that i've been doing it, although i've done lots on an informal basis

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
yup, I "taught" a few kids waaay back and I did pretty good at it too!

and like jumptoit says, it works the other way as well, I've known people who were great riders who couldn't teach other people a thing!

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I am I think.

I'm not a bad rider but I lack confidence these days after a bad fall a few years ago... You certainly wouldn't get me up on a silly youngster or over anything much above 3' and I have a tendency to stiffen up and balance off the rein if I think a horse is going to muck about with me which I absolutely HATE about my riding.

I'm think I am a good instructor though as I find it easy to see little problems and to offer clear and helpful explanations and advice. It is my job though so I would hope that I am not too bad at it!

vallin

Visit site
Definatly! Mainly because even when I'm riding I know exactly what I'm doing wrong I just can't seem to change it :p
Also non-horsey, but I am a trampoline coach and I am able to teach and coach students that are way better than I'll every be, but because I can see what they're doing and I know the theory of how it works well I am able to explain to them how to improve