Can you be registered with more than 1 vet practise?

holeymoley

Visit site
As the title really. It's been something I wondered for a while.

I moved yard so my current vet practise is roughly about 30/40minutes away now, and my 'favourite' vet that basically saved my horse has moved down to the other side of the country (how dare he!) However it is solely an equine vets so it has the facilities to trailer over to if required, for that reason I'd like to stay with them. My current yard 'uses' 2 of the other local vets which both offer zonal days. One of them also offers a laminitic package which is basically a monthly payment towards various annual checks such as xrays, blood tests etc which I really like the sound of, and the other is the actual vet school. Basically from a monetary point of view, the zonal days would be ideal for a general check over If I had any worries or if he were due vaccinations. No one else at my yard uses my current vet practise so there would be no chance of a split call out at any time.

holeymoley

Visit site
Thanks, I have no idea why I thought you could only be registered with 1?! I'm sure someone told me that. Perhaps they had a bad history of debt and no-one would take them...who knows.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I had cheap zone vets for vaccinations and anything complex I went to v experienced - much further away vet who had all the facilities.

I do wonder if people don't know it's possible then you see comments about when buying they rely on a print out of vets history. I had one which if I'd just asked the cheap vet I'd have had a 4 year clean record of vaccs visits only - that won't have been anywhere close to the whole story !!!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have been told this by old farmers. I think it hearks back to days long ago when records were on paper and not easily shared if two different vets needed to see it. I can see that it could be very unethical in farming and big studs, to be able to get hold of double quantities of medicines, for example.

Equi

Visit site
Use whomever you wish! I have i think about 4 vets on tap lol and i use each for a different thing (e.g. one is for the normal every day things, one is for reproductive things, one is cheaper to buy wormers from and the other is retainer as they are the closest for an emergency but not one i would want for an ongoing issue)

HBB

Visit site
I am registered with 2 vets, one for cheap zone days and the other for investigation work.
My friend got a hard time from a big equine vet practice for doing this and advised her if she continued using the other vet she would have to be referred to them if she wanted investigation work done.

Green Bean

Visit site
I think the only time this would be a bit of work (but not the end of the world) if you are making an insurance claim and the form will ask you for all vet practices that have seen your horse in the last 3 years. Just means you have to provide their details and it may be an additional form, but not a big deal.

planete

Visit site
I used to be registered with several practices but the vets around here demand that all the records held by your previous vet are transferred to them now and expect to be in sole charge of your veterinary needs.