Can you buy a horse for a novice for under £1000?

Beckie65

Visit site
As Title really, im looking for a horse to buy for a limited budget for me and my 2 boys, some of you may have read my older threads about the disaster i've had. Would like some advice on what sites to look on and if its really possible. Thanks in advance x

spike123

Visit site
I know of several horses for sale at the moment all under £1000.One of them is a novice ride but she is a tb type and 12yrs old but is sane and sensible and affectionate and generally easy in every way,despite her breed.

benson21

Visit site
I would go with a no.Sorry,I know I have probably got more boxes to tick than most, but I am strugling with a budget of £3000. But I guess if you dont have a particular breed, age, size then there is a slight posibility.

Beckie65

Visit site
Im not looking for anything flashy, or anything like that, just a safe sensible horse to hack as im a happy hacker.

OWLIE185

Visit site
I am afraid that Happy Hackers do not come cheap as they are the exception rather than the rule. I would suggest that a sound horse that can be ridden out by itself and is safe in all situations will cost you at least £2,500 if not more.

Welshboy

Visit site
I bought a horse a year ago.

I was looking for an all rounder, suitable for a novice. Good to hack, load, take to shows etc. Must jump small jumps in a safe/beginner style. Must be sane, sensible, healthy and easy to look after. Not too forward going, or strong.

It's not easy. I made telephone calls about 20+ horses, went to see 10, rode most of them and ended up buying the one I have. Those I tried were all more than £2,500.

Kat

Visit site
Would you consider loaning OP? Lots of people with older horses that are no longer up to the work required of them would love to find a reliable hacking home for their horse but might be reluctant to sell and loose control. You could place some wanted adverts.

Wanted for sale or loan, reliable hacking horse suitable for a novice rider, must be xx -xxhh any age or breeding considered. Loving long term home awaits the right horse.

Add in a bit about what facilities you have and maybe some sort of reassurance that it really is just hacking no schooling or jumping etc.

It would be worth asking about word of mouth and enquiring at local riding schools and trekking centres too. The riding school I use occasionally needs to sell horses that can no longer cope with 2-3 hours a day in the school usually due to arthritis and they like to find them relaxed hacking homes. They are also reliable and used to novices.

You may for that kind of money need to accept that the horse may have issues, mild unsoundness that doesn't cause pain, a vice, sweet itch, COPD etc. But if it is genuinely just for hacking then this sort of thing should be manageable.

Try looking to WHW and Blue Cross too for loan horses.

You could try the hunt too, a hunt servant's horse that is no longer up to galloping and jumping might be just the job. There are a couple at the riding school and they are absolutely fab.

Jake10

Visit site
Have you tried horsehunter.co.uk or horsemart.co.uk Could try riding schools they tend to have good hacking horses or advertise in tack shop? :)

Jump2It

Visit site
be very suprised...was looking for a happy hacker with a bit of jump (nothing too much) for my mother for ages and most were in the £5000 area....probably get cheaper though if you werent bothered about the age, looks, jump etc...cant imagine less than 1000 though

aimeejay

Visit site
I would say just about yes, if you either:
a) dont mind a veteran
b) maybe has sweet itch or something like that?
c) horses from riding schools?

Good luck :)

Beckie65

Visit site
Thanks girls i know im probably asking the impossible lol but you never know till you ask, will keep looking something might come up, and i might look into riding school horses thats a good idea im currently loaning at the mo but want something of my own.

spike123

Visit site
I was looking at that ad yesterday. I would think it's possibly just a case of mare being bossy about allowing new person to touch her all over. A trust issue of some kind! She looks lovely.Just my cup of tea lol

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
How about him?
http://www.horsemart.co.uk/advert/7_yrs_3_mths_14_3_hh_bright_bay_arab_horse_devon/98477

She looks nice.
http://www.horsemart.co.uk/advert/8_yrs_16_1_hh_dark_bay_thoroughbred_nottinghamshire/98376

This is a nice looking veteran
http://www.horsemart.co.uk/advert/10_yrs_16_2_hh_chestnut_thoroughbred/98194

She sounds good as well
http://www.horsemart.co.uk/advert/12_yrs_7_mths_15_0_hh_bay_tb_x_norfolk/98038

Whether or not any of these suit it does prove there are hackers to be had around £1000, so keep trying and hopefully you will find your horse. :)

Kat

Visit site
Would agree that you could try a rescue centre, our local one asks for a £500 donation for a ridden horse.

If you do this make sure you check that they are a registered charity and not a dealer in disguise!

I'd approach the big names WHW, RSPCA, HAPPA and Blue Cross first. I don't think Redwings do rehoming.

You could try the TB rehab centres too, although you don't want an off the track racer for a novice these centres take horses back if the owner can no longer look after them so you may still be able to get a sensible experienced horse, be up front about your abilities and the fact that you aren't their usual sort of client and they may well be able to help you out.

kbsaff

Visit site
Alarm bells ringing about the roan mare.
I have a feeling it's the very same Rosie (also known as rolly) who was in a riding school that I used to be stabled at.
She was sold from the school as she couldn't be caught and kicked my in the stomach sending my flying across a paddock when I did eventually managed to attach a leadrope.
You couldn't pick her feet out, groom her, go near her side or back end.
The week after she was sold the new owner called us saying that if we didn't come and collect her, she was going to tie her gate as she had taken off with her tack on three days ago and no one could get near her to get it off.
Incidentally, this was at least 7 years ago and the mare was 5/6 then so I would question the age on the add.
I'm 99.9% sure that is her - Apologies if not but that's a hole heap of coincidences.