Can you dye a faded hat black?

Ravenwood

Visit site
My hat looks awful and I haven't even had it that long
frown.gif
(well a few years maybe). And you certainly couldn't accuse me of leaving it out in the sun - what sun? I haven't seen any for nearly three years
confused.gif

So, is it possible to dye it black again? Has anyone done this before?

My hat..........

2789654213_a8a20d22f3.jpg

(PS: Ignore me stuffing my face!! this was at the first meet last week - but you can clearly see how faded it is
frown.gif
)

only_me

Visit site
steam it - hold it over a boiling kettle and the steam *should* restore it back to its natural colour
laugh.gif

it worked on mine
laugh.gif

Ravenwood

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure it is possible if you used a sponge and sponged the dye on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you actually done this? I would be worried it would go all blotchy and look worse!

mintaka04

Visit site
I suppose you could always try dylon dyes. Or if it was my hat I might be tempted to try one of these shoe blackener things.
You know the white ones with a wee sponge attached for whitening your sandshoes...I think they do a black version too.
Try your local Timpson's shop.
Regards, x

Ravenwood

Visit site
I think the shoe blackening would run in the rain (I can just picture it now!!).

But I was wondering if anyone had used a dye as you suggested.

Ravenwood

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If steam won't bring it back then I doubt it can be done. You'd have to be so careful anyway as you may well affect the integrity of the hat.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - I didn't realise hats had any integrity - mine just sits on my head without complaining!!!

Sorry ignore me - I am in a silly mood
grin.gif

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
There's a lady near Manchester who can do anything with hats. She's just fixed my Charles Owen and 3 of my friends hats, including a Patey that Patey couldn't do anything with! She is extremely reasonable as well. PM me if you want her details.

niagaraduval

Visit site
Well I have dyed things in the past. (Bedding etc..) and it has never faded in the wash. Surely it would be the same for a hat? DO NOT PUT SHOE POLISH ON IT.

I remember something very stupid I did when I was small. I put shoe polish on the soles of my shoes. I walked around the wet grass and walked black shoe polish all through the house. - Parents weren't happy!

DuckToller

Visit site
Can't help with dylon question, but thought I'd share this. We took our 11.2 pony to a dressage to music comp a few years ago and my daughter cleaned all her own stuff. Warmed up nicely, but just before test it bucketed down. Next thing I see is daughter with black rivulets running down her face - she had put boot polish on her hat as it was faded! I had to run to a tack stall and cough up £75 for a new hat while we waited for the class to restart
smile.gif

Ravenwood

Visit site
LOL - that made me chuckle. This is why I am worried about dying it - especially as considering it rains 365 days of the year on Exmoor (at least it seems like that!)

conniegirl

Visit site
I dye my show hat when it fades in the sun.
I use suade (sp?) shoe dye, you work it in well with the little brush provided, leave it for 2 or 3 days to dry completely and then brush it with a stiff brush.

I've shown in torrential rain with my redyed hat and it has never run!

conniegirl

Visit site
hat before dyeing
llan207.jpg

hat after dying
foxes031.jpg

obviously a navy hat but i dont see why it wouldnt work with black instead navy

LCobby

Visit site
Dylon Suede shoe dye- comes in a bottle with a sponge applicator and is waterproof when dry- being made for shoes.
Just stroke it over the velvet or dab it on, no solvents or anything to affect the shell.