Can you dye Sheepskin?

suestowford

Visit site
It depends what sort of dye you use. Wool doesn't take dyes the same as cloth does. If you want a good strong colour then I would suggest you get an acid dye. However, you might find that with the amount of dye you'd need, it might be cheaper just to buy a purple one!
I have tried many different dyes on wool - hairdye did stain the wool but I'm not sure how colourfast it would be. That might be a cheaper option.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
The problem is not getting the dyes, it's that most of them need boiling water. I'm not sure about hair dye, it requires opening the shaft of the hair, which means using an alkaline developer (ie hydrogen peroxide) and almost all hair dyes do fade. Temporary dyes, like Crazy Color, I'd have thought would fade even worse, but wouldn't damage the sheepskin like permanent might.

Whatever you do will fade, and it will be very hard to get a consistent finish. And if your sheepskin pad has cotton quilt on it then that too will take the dye differently. Buy a new pad.

Kodak_TBT

Visit site
The problem is not getting the dyes, it's that most of them need boiling water. I'm not sure about hair dye, it requires opening the shaft of the hair, which means using an alkaline developer (ie hydrogen peroxide) and almost all hair dyes do fade. Temporary dyes, like Crazy Color, I'd have thought would fade even worse, but wouldn't damage the sheepskin like permanent might.

Whatever you do will fade, and it will be very hard to get a consistent finish. And if your sheepskin pad has cotton quilt on it then that too will take the dye differently. Buy a new pad.
Not everyone has the money to through away on a new one that’s why I want to dye it.

Kodak_TBT

Visit site
The shires supafleece ones aren’t wool I don’t think. I have a black one and a brown one already that I really like so hopefully it will work

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You won’t be able to dye synthetic fabrics with the dye you can buy in shops. Dyes like Dylon only work on natural fabrics (cotton, wool, linen, silk).