Can you fit at Elevator bit to Micklem

Bec26

Visit site
I spoke to the Horse bit shop and they recommended the Neue Schule Elevator bit which I now have on trial but my mare wears a Micklem bridle, has anyone used the two together as it looks like it will be to big?

Last edited:

Shay

Visit site
We have an NS Elevator and love it - but it won't fit on a micklem - which is why we don't have one of those! I understand is does fit on the PS High Jump which pretty much the same bridle - but I haven't tried it myself.

Rupertthebear

Visit site
Are you sure it wont fit, if the noseband to the micklem is high enough it should do, Ive used a dutch gag/hanging cheek on mine and there is still room to take it up a few notches (staps that connect bit to bridle) to accommodate a bit with more purchase. I guess it also depends on head shape/size!!

Bec26

Visit site
We have an NS Elevator and love it - but it won't fit on a micklem - which is why we don't have one of those! I understand is does fit on the PS High Jump which pretty much the same bridle - but I haven't tried it myself.

Thanks - I didn't think it would, may have to invest in a PS bridle.

albeg

Visit site
Are you sure it wont fit, if the noseband to the micklem is high enough it should do, Ive used a dutch gag/hanging cheek on mine and there is still room to take it up a few notches (staps that connect bit to bridle) to accommodate a bit with more purchase. I guess it also depends on head shape/size!!

Would depend on head shape/size. I can't use a hanging cheek on my gelding's Micklem because he's short between the protruding cheek bone and the corner of his mouth. Though the elevator is quite long so less likely to work.

Shay

Visit site
The issue is with the length of the shank. I suppose if the horse has a really big head there would be space there. My ISH (who uses the bit) takes a cob bridle with pony cheeks to accommodate the length of the shank. There is no way that this would fit on a Miklem. But the PS bridle has more "conventional" cheek pieces so you chance of getting it to fit is far greater.