Can you freeze tinned dog food once opened?

CazD

Visit site
My elderly jack russell was diagnosed with stage 3 kidney disease on Tuesday and the vet has put her onto the Royal Canin renal diet. She's currently having the biscuits with a small portion of the tinned food. A 410g can is probably doing to take about a week to eat, but I doubt it will stay fresh that long once the can is opened. Do you think I could freeze half of the food once the can is opened? At over £2 a can I'd prefer not to be throwing half of it away if possible!!

CMcC

Visit site
My dog is on the same feed - she is on 1.5-2 tins per day. Expensive! I don't see why you couldn't freeze it. Does she need to have the wet and the biscuit? Could you do one or other or is she used to a mixed diet?
I give mine the tinned plus mashed sweet potato or butternut squash or brown rice just to give her some variety. Checked with the vet and they said it was fine to add to the hepatic diet.

CazD

Visit site
Thank you. She doesn't particularly need both wet and dry, I wasn't really sure which to pick when the vet asked. Prior to Tuesday she's always had ordinary good quality complete biscuits with a small portion of white fish to encourage her to eat as she's quite fussy. She only has a few teeth left and the one's that are there get manky quite quickly (she's 16 and has had two dentals in the last three years and I'm reluctant to let her go under anaesthetic again) so I thought biscuits would be less "sticky" on her teeth but she does need something "nice" to make them taste good. The vet seemed to be implying that she could only eat the veterinary diet and nothing else at all, no treats, nothing - mind you, she also told me that it was a prescription only diet and could only be purchased through a vet, and I've since found it online and in pets at home and none of them mention needing a prescription??

CMcC

Visit site
No it is not prescription, my vet sold me a couple of tins and then said cheaper to buy elsewhere. I was getting from Pets at Home but also found my local pet shop could order for me, saves postage from Pets at Home or going miles to collect it. Hope your dog does well, liver failure is very distressing to watch although I have been told mine is not in pain but she was getting disorientated and wobbly.

WandaMare

Visit site
I only have experience of a similar renal Royal Canin diet for cats but can't you get the pouches instead, they might be easier as smaller portions? Personally I wouldn't want the hassle of freezing and defrosting the tinned meat, it might change the texture and make it less palatable.

Aru

Visit site
Freezing changes the texture and taste of the food so its generally not advised as its already not the most palatable in the world. If you do need to freeze make sure you take out of the can or they explode spectacularily.
Could you hunt down the smaller tins? Im pretty sure theres a smaller size of that availiable. Or if her water intake is good try the dry version.

Otherwise get the lids you can pop on top to seal completely,add a small amount of water each new layer (to lock in moisture) and you should be able to have one last a week in the fridge. They advise only 48 hours officially but its a judgment call.