Can you get a good pair of clippers for £100?

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
As title.. If so, what ones?

I need them to only ever clip two horses maximum, one with a very fine coat, one slightly fluffier- both only small (15hh)

Ideall would like cordless but if finances dictate then corded is fine, I need ones that are pre tensioned blades as I dislike messing with the tension.

Thanks all

team barney

Visit site
I think for that price you will have to look for second hand clippers.

Liveryman Harmony's are pretty good, although little slow cutting very thick coats they do work their way through eventually.

I's suggest that you try looking on ebay or in the friday-ad/advantage/horsemart type magazines.

Last edited:

Spotsrock

Visit site
Ebay 30 quid including postage used obviously. Wolsey ones so good make. Done 3 full clips 3 hogs and a neck and belly. Still running so i'm happy!

Fantasy_World

Visit site
New no
Secondhand yes
I got mine which are Heineger for around £70 including postage, box and 2 sets of blades.

If you try ebay or horse forums, sites like Preloved etc you can pick up bargains.
Avoid the 'cheap' priced clippers ( don't mean the good makes) as I have read some bad reports online about some of them being potentially dangerous.
Avoid any secondhand ones that have any reported problems with them such as being a bit noisy and similar as it could be an expensive part that may need replacing and the bargain buy may not seem quite as much as a bargain as you first thought.
Obviously makes like Heineger, Liveryman spring to mind as good clippers, especially the Arena ones but make sure if Arena it is the second edition not original as I have been told by someone on here that the parts are no longer available in case it breaks down.
Any second hand clippers though should ideally be checked over by someone who is qualified or capable before use and any blades or cutting areas cleaned and sterilised.

People sell clippers for all sorts of reasons, not just because there is something wrong with them. It could be that they have found someone who is willing to clip for cheap, or have lost their horse or sold it. When you work out the cost of servicing, having blades resharpened (or buying new), blade wash and clipper oil ( lubricators) it all adds up.
In my case I have several horses so wanted my own as it becomes expensive than just paying for someone to clip one. Also I have a youngster who may be clipped in the future so having my own means I can get him used to them in my own time. I hate seeing horses being sedated for clipping, or being twitched ( unless for clipping around the face/ears), often it is because the animals have been rushed to get them clipped rather than getting them used to the sensation and desensitising them. Big bug bear of mine.

calon

Visit site
e bay matrix heavy duty animal /horse clippers excellent and under £100 i paid £79 inc delivery and they are far better than my liveryman ones they dont heat up and i got 7 full clips from one set of blades and they come with two sets and some spare parts excelent value

bensababy

Visit site
e bay matrix heavy duty animal /horse clippers excellent and under £100 i paid £79 inc delivery and they are far better than my liveryman ones they dont heat up and i got 7 full clips from one set of blades and they come with two sets and some spare parts excelent value

Echo this, also purchased these off EBAY and done 5 full clips (one cushings woolly mammoth) and they are still going.

Sambo

Visit site
Liveryman element. They are technically trimmers. But i do a full clip (inc mane) on my welsh cob, 14.3 - and full clipped both my friends horses: 15.2 ISH and also a very fluffy fat shetland! I do it every 2 months usually, and the blades usually last 4 or 5 full clips (when used with wd40) and they're pre tensioned :) u can also run them from mains if u run out of charge.

I also brought liveryman harmonys, but only used them once and went back to the element! Sold my harmonys in the end!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Masterclip's range seem good, they came up with good reviews in last months YH magazine.

The royale £99.99, the ranger £139 and the hunter £169 all had good reviews :)

TGM

Visit site
Liveryman element. They are technically trimmers. But i do a full clip (inc mane) on my welsh cob, 14.3 - and full clipped both my friends horses: 15.2 ISH and also a very fluffy fat shetland! I do it every 2 months usually, and the blades usually last 4 or 5 full clips (when used with wd40) and they're pre tensioned :) u can also run them from mains if u run out of charge.

I have some of these too and have used them to do high chaser clips on a 17.1hh and a 16hh this year, with no problems. Because of their size though, probably wouldn't be recommended for lots of full clips just because it takes so long! However, for my purposes they suit well and am probably not going to bother getting a bigger set of clippers. They are also great for clipping my dog!

I got them for £60 including delivery.