Can you get on your horse from the ground? and is it important?

Please give your reasons

• Total voters

Blizzard

Visit site
A quick poll!

I overheard a discussion in a tack shop at the weekend, basically a couple of women talking abut how you shoudnt have your horse if you cant get on it from theground, so opinions please?

I used to be able to get on anything from the ground, now I cant.
Im 5ft 5 and my horses are 16.2hh and 17.3hh, I cant get on either of them from the ground,but this doesnt bother me, there is always somewhere to get on if you need to dismount, and it gives you more incentive to stay in the saddle!
grin.gif

Tinkerbee

Visit site
I prefer to use mounting block as most of the time my knees just wont let me
mad.gif

and Im only ickle
grin.gif

but can mount from the ground, and have become rather good at it lol

if all else fails i just lengthen the stirrup
grin.gif

Bossanova

Visit site
I think its handy if you can get on from the ground- out hacking there isnt always a convenient patch of higher ground!!
My horse is only ickle so I have no problem getting on from the ground

Skhosu

Visit site
I think yes, you should be able to get on-not necessarily in a graceful way mind but it should be something you can do in an emergency (I can..I only do it if I have to e.g fall off xc)

JustKickOn

Visit site
If I mount from the ground I always get sombody to hold the opposite stirrup down do the saddle doesn't have an off pressure on the back if that makes sense.
Usually use the mount block, though If I ride JJ who doesn't stand still unless he's cornered I vault on
smile.gif

wizoz

Visit site
I've always got on from the mounting block whether it be at home or at comps. I think it's much better for the horse. I can get on from the ground tho, as i'm 5'9"
wink.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think yes, you should be able to get on-not necessarily in a graceful way mind but it should be something you can do in an emergency (I can..I only do it if I have to e.g fall off xc)

[/ QUOTE ]

LOl yes I can scrabble up
blush.gif
if needs be, but only had to do that once!

TGM

Visit site
I can get on mine from the ground, although I usually prefer to use a mounting block. I'd be in a bit of a pickle if I couldn't mount from the ground as there are some gates out hacking that I have to dismount to open!

mickey

Visit site
I used to be able to get on my horse from the ground, which was especially useful when out hacking. Since breaking my back I can only get on with a block, which could be potentially an issue if I had to dismount out hacking.
On the whole however, I believe it is better for the saddle and the horse to use a block. I don't especially like it if someone rides my horse and gets on from the floor as it tips the saddle to the left potentially damaging the saddle and upsetting the horses back if done repeatedly.

fredthoroughbred

Visit site
I am 5ft9 and I can't even get on a 14.1hh haha!! My horse is 16.2hh and I always have to hack out with others because there are loads of gates that you have to get off and heave up in order for you to open/close them. In that respect I would love to be able to get on from the ground but to no avail!! I think it's because my thigh is alot longer than my lower leg and I just can't for the life of me get enough spring to make it all the way up there haha!!
Mounting blocks all the way haha!!
smile.gif

Cobland

Visit site
I cant get on from the ground because of my back, hubby gets on his 17hh from the ground and i hold the stirrup at the other side.

Used to be able to get on from the ground but after accident i cant
frown.gif

kerilli

Visit site
it is very very bad for the horse's back and for the saddle to get on from the ground, unless you can vault on with no pulling at the saddle sideways at all. i NEVER get on from the ground any more... mounting block, leg up, or walk until i find something to climb onto!

checkmate1

Visit site
I can only mount from the ground if I have to!!! I'm so rubbish at it, always have been! am 5"11, and I wonder if like fredthoroughbred says, legs too long!! Lol, I'd rather use a mounting block, as I worry it could damage backs in long term?

Rockchick_uk

s11.invisionfree.com
Indi is too big to mount from the ground and i have had a special mounting block built so i can just swing my leg over and hop on without putting any pressure on his spine by pulling him over.

I personally dont believe that its important to be able to get on from the ground. If you fall, just catch your horse and use either someones wall, fence, hill or gate to jump on and well if you cant find something walk until you do!.

Obviously in a emergency that was so desperate i would like to think i will find the agility and strengh to hop on like a prize willing vaulting champion but if not i can run to get help lol.

dieseldog

Visit site
I never get on from the ground and luckily they all stand next to things for me to get on. I think it is very bad for your horses back.

Halfpass

Visit site
Out of our 3

one I can he doesn't mind and I frequently do

one we can't he has issues with being mounted and it is safer to go through a 5 min routine using a safe mounting block or other such place to get on him as we need to. Don't have any problems with this though.

The last I never have got on her from the ground. She is young and its never occured to me to do so. However I'm sure she would be fine.

I always prefer to get on from a block if possible as it saves pulling on them to haul myself up and even if needing to dismounnt when out hacking I will always find something to stand on.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I have never got on the ground. Could barely get on any of my ponies so have no hope on a 17hh horse 22 years later.

JessPickle

Visit site
I can get on from the ground but have to lower my stirrup a couple of holes, to be fair pickle is 17.1hh, I do like to able to get on and off comes in useful when hacking!

I wouldnt frown upon anyone that couldnt though

teapot

Visit site
Biggest I've got on from the ground was a 17.2 so can pretty much get on anything

Prefer to use a mounting block (and it's the yard policy) but you're not exactly always going to come across a fence/mound out hacking are you?

S_N

Visit site
Good god no!! When I had Tops, he was too high up (17.1hh) and I was way too fat to manage it! I'm still fat (though not as fat
tongue.gif
) and would struggle to get on even Berry (15hh) from the ground. However, I don't ride atm and if I did, I'd use a mounting block/fence/gate/wall/bank/ramp/tree stump etc....

WFL

Visit site
No because he will not stand still. He will go in any direction unless a 2nd person is there to hold him. He is fine from a mounting block.

PennyJ

Visit site
Yes I can get on him from the ground, and I think it's very important that you can. Age and/or decreptitude are different matters, but I do despair of tiny women on enormous horses who can't get on without assistance. However I will always use a mounting block, or stand him in a ditch to get on or improvise with whatever is around if that is possible. Mounting from the ground is the last resort mainly out of consideration for him!

Puppy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I never get on from the ground and luckily they all stand next to things for me to get on. I think it is very bad for your horses back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree, or should I say baaa
tongue.gif
Even when I CAN, like with my old 14.2, I never do.

I haven't mounted Star from the ground in ten years - she's 16.2, I'm an arthritic 5'3". I hack her every single time I ride her, and I've never been stuck and had to walk home.
smile.gif

sallypops

Visit site
i can get on from the ground, and i feel its nessasary here as you need to for tricky gates and stuff and some folk like me are just too wee to get on their horses lol

Puppy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
but I do despair of tiny women on enormous horses who can't get on without assistance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?!
confused.gif
I don't understand why it's so important. I think tiny women on enormous horses who can't control them are pretty dispairing, (lord knows there's enough of them
smirk.gif
) but I don't see how consideration for your horses back is so terrible.
confused.gif

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I can get on mine from the ground (she is only 15hh though!) But prefer not to as I end up pulling my saddle a bit, or a lot as I did today! My numnah had slipped so I got off and sorted it, went to get back on and my saddle rolled right underneath- ooops!

Nudibranch

Visit site
I can but I don't, I think its better for the horse and saddle not to. However I think it's imprtant to keep your hand in as you never know when you might need to be able to do it - there isn't always somewhere suitable out on hacks for example.

Puppy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I can but I don't, I think its better for the horse and saddle not to. However I think it's imprtant to keep your hand in as you never know when you might need to be able to do it - there isn't always somewhere suitable out on hacks for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm bemused by people keep quoting this
grin.gif
I hack every single time I ride, even to go to the school, and yet I NEVER mount from the ground
grin.gif
I must have very "special" hacking.... and clearly have done in every area I've liveried in for all the years
grin.gif

Actually, what I can't stand is horses that aren't used to being mounted off things. I borrowed a friends horse (some hunter) who was a right git to mount off things.... which was a bit surprising seeing as he was 18hh
tongue.gif