Can you imagine life without horses?

Diallady

New User
Visit site
Just finished reading entire thread of Can You Imagine Life Without Horses and it was very thought provoking. I empathize with those horseless owners and celebrate those who are "still in the game." After reading those posts it made me understand just how much horses contribute to our life. Maybe I knew this all along, but hearing it firsthand from others makes it more real.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I’m having this at the moment having lost my horse recently. It’s really tough, and as the above poster said I am only able to do it by having completely zero interaction with anything equine. I have offers of rides but I don’t want to ride just any horse, I want to ride ‘my’ horse - and love everything that comes with it.

In the beginning it’s actually a real ‘lost’ feeling, I have so much time to fill, and I keep catching myself going outside and thinking ‘it’s drizzling, what rug is he in?’ or ‘oh shit, I need to book the farrier‘ before I remember that I dont.

I will go back to horses eventually but at this stage in my life I have to think about finishing my qualification and saving for a property. I would have delayed that for another 10 years in a heartbeat had I had the option of keeping my boy, but I didn’t. It can be done, but no life is like that when you have a horse by your side, and everything that entails

canteron

Visit site
I think I could cope without the work of horses, but not with the empty fields. Everything we have done to our house over 20 years has factored in the horses - the view from our balcony and conservatory is over our paddocks and I spend hours just looking at them and thinking how beautiful they are!!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
They are such a big part of my life I literally don't know what I would do with myself, they are at home as well so it is basically my life I can't imagine living anywhere without them so near me now.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yes, I can very easily imagine life without horses and am actively working towards that. It doesn't mean that I will never have another, but at this particular stage in my life I want the flexibility of not being tied down. But then I have had previous periods away from horses, and the things I want to do now don't involve them.

PurBee

Visit site
I think I could cope without the work of horses, but not with the empty fields. Everything we have done to our house over 20 years has factored in the horses - the view from our balcony and conservatory is over our paddocks and I spend hours just looking at them and thinking how beautiful they are!!

Empty fields after horses is a barren feeling.

When mine went on loan, no horses here, it was very strange....i’d walk the fields and happen across a hoof print in the mud, which in that moment, was quite heart-breaking.

We get to know our own so well don’t we - i even knew which hoof from which horse it was, from its specific shape.

Life is about changes, beginnings and endings - and i know one day i will be without owning horses possibly, but i think i’ll always try to get involved with horses.
So if you have a pensioner walk on your yard one day eager to muck out stables...pass her a barrow happily! ?

vmac66

Visit site
I had 30 years without a horse of my own. Dipped in and out over the years but always felt a bit of me was missing. When I finally got a horse I felt complete. Can imagine life without horses but not something I'd want to do.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Yes, I can very easily imagine life without horses and am actively working towards that. It doesn't mean that I will never have another, but at this particular stage in my life I want the flexibility of not being tied down. But then I have had previous periods away from horses, and the things I want to do now don't involve them.

I'm exactly the same but without the periods of not having them. Who knows if I'll change my mind when I've experienced not having them. I wouldn't sell mine on but he won't be replaced

If I win the lottery and get my own yard, it may change my mind!

I've lost the joy of it, I don't mind mucking out but it's all the other chores associated with it. Having to factor in going to the yard every weekend.

The costs

Like Cortez, I'd like to do things with my life that don't involve horses.

I'd possibly save the money saved from not having a horse and use it to do memorable horse experiences eg try western/ go for a beach ride/ hire a hireling and go out with the blood hounds.

Patch55

Visit site
I must admit, I have tried giving up. I've had a break whilst I did a gap year and the first part of Uni, then a break whilst me and my partner saved for a flat deposit.

Twice now, and I just get bored. And I look for a share. Then about a year later I start looking at the sale sites again and it's a slippery slope from there.

I would LOVE to have another hobby. Something which doesnt require so much money in maintainence and risk of all going wrong at any given moment. But.... ?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️ havent found anything which even comes near yet.

Chianti

Visit site
Eventually life without horses must become reality. My best friend rode until she was 70 - she rode a friend's cob a couple of days a week. One day he decided to avoid a large puddle and by doing so wiped her against a tree which resulted in her falling off and breaking a hip. After riding for 50 odd years she decided that was enough. I know she misses the life but she had made another which is very busy. I'm not young and am already planning mine, and my pony's, route into retirement. I've known people riding well into their 70s but I don't think that will be for me. I'm quite looking forward to doing other things with my life before it's too late!

Izzwall

Visit site
I literally couldn't imagine life without horses, I've had a minimum of 3 for over 15 years and I've worked in the equine world for the last 10 years. I do sometimes wonder where I would be in life if I didn't have them, I'd probably have my own house by now and maybe even a child. I am however leaving the horse industry. Its a lifestyle more than a career and as much as I love it, the pay is rubbish despite how busy I am as a freelance groom. There's always a cap on how much I can earn as there's only so much physically I can take despite only being 29. I would probably need to work out multiple times a day and massively decrease my chocolate intake if I left horses all together ? I'd be the size of a house if I didn't work with and own horses!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i am struggling without having horses in my life, not surprising as i had horses for over 50 years, always D.I.Y. because i couldnt afford to pay for help. i made the very hard decision to give up my loan horse at the end of 2018 as the physical part of looking after her during winter was getting too difficult. i am now 75 and have been window shopping for a share and am happy to pay for the privilege of riding someones precious horse but i am unable to do the jobs.... ideally i need a horse who is on full livery and owner wants it hacked a couple of days a week but so far there has been nothing anywhere near me. if my lottery came up i would buy another immediately, but that is unlikely:(:(

gunnergundog

Visit site
I guess that I am lucky in that I had a very good job when I was working that enabled me to keep the horses I had on full livery with quality people.

I had horses with 4* (old money) eventers that either treated them as their own and competed them or even shared the rides with me :O I was able therefore to go off and do other things if the whim took me, to go travelling, pursue other hobbies, whatever, knowing that the horses were safe, being cared for and their education was being progressed.

On the flip side these amazing people were happy, when my career allowed me to have the time, to focus and dedicate my time to 3* and finally gaining 4* qualification, although being realistic enough to acknowledge that the minimum qualification didn't actually mean that you were safe and ready to compete. :(

I know that they would have got better results and more out of the horses concerned but they were selfless in that they helped me and allowed me to make the mistakes that I needed to make.

Due to these various amazing people (plus others) I have never been without a horse in my life from the age of birth through to 72 years! :D

I am fortunate and can not imagine life without.

Last edited:

honetpot

Visit site
I have not ridden for nearly fifteen years, one day I just decided I didn't need it, and apart from popping on my daughters pony for ten minutes, I have never ridden again. Not having horse no, I like the cows, and they are very relaxing, but there is nothing like putting the polish on a young horse, or looking after an old friends best interests. Perhaps if I was on a livery yard it may be different, but they have been the reason I have pushed my self to get well, when I could have just sat in a chair.
The most I had was twelve, all on different rented fields, so I have four sets of everything. I am now down to six, but my hand is itching.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am looking right at this .
Most of my time is spent atm planning conversion of my parents house into out old age home for MrGS and I .
I am lucky we will be able to rent my parents house until we are ready I will be able to afford to keep any horse we still have safe in livery .
I realised without I had started preparing my younger horses for life without me without knowing I was doing it .
Thinking of leaving here makes me so sad knowing I won‘t get any more horsey friends to keep safe makes me sad .
Seeing that MrGS can do this with out a jot regret freaks me out .
But in life you have to realistic and I know we can’t stay here it’s too big and too much work .
I sort of get what life after horses will be I see it as awful but not as bad as a life without dogs .

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
I managed 6 weeks without a horse. I moved, to be with my now husband, in October 2003 and thought I would love not having a horse during the darker months. He was away a lot with work. I hated being horseless. Within 6 weeks I had found the local riding school and started looking at for sale ads. We bought him a horse the following Jan and mine in the Feb. Not been without one since xx

Griffin

Visit site
I can imagine that I would have more money and time but I would miss them terribly. However, I think my mare will be my last horse that is just mine because by the time she goes (hopefully, not for at least 15-20 years), I will be nearing retirement age and the drop in horse expenses will hopefully allow me to reduce my working hours.

I don't think I will ever give up horses completely though, even if it is just helping out at events or pootling on a hack from a riding school. I have ridden since I was very small, so to not have any contact with horses would be alien for me.

Mrs B

Visit site
I'm starting to imagine it.

After decades of mucking out and getting up early 365 days a year with few breaks, holidays or any lie-ins (or spare money!) I know that I wouldn't be able to afford the purchase price of another after H and feel I'd actually quite like to try another kind of life ...

luckyoldme

Visit site
I wanted horses all my life. I looked after many for other people but growing up in the 70s it was drummed into me that council street kids didn't have horses.
I was 40 when I bought my own and I loved the time I had with him. I had him on a small holding he had group turnout and was very settled.
That type of arrangement is hard to find and can change in the blink of an eye.
When my old boy was pts I had the same desire never to have another one. Every bit as strong as my life long desire to have one.
I loved having them and now I love not having them.
I prefer bikes now ..I can leave them on their own when I don't need them and they don't Starve if I neglect them for a few weeks!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I could. My two are 18 and 23. When they go I probably won’t have another. They’ve been part of my life for a good 30 of my 50 odd years, but I want to be able to think towards retirement and doing other things without the ties (and expense). Plus I don’t think I’d ever have another pair of this calibre again and anything else would be dull. I don’t think I ride as well as I did when younger so wouldn’t want a high calibre horse again for that reason too. But I have a nice yard, so perhaps I could rent it to someone with a nice horse who would let me ride it occasionally! I seem to be moving more towards my life revolving around the dogs more than horses.

Surbie

Visit site
I had 30 years without a horse of my own. Dipped in and out over the years but always felt a bit of me was missing. When I finally got a horse I felt complete. Can imagine life without horses but not something I'd want to do.

This, but with more years involved horseless. It is so much work, but having a horse just fills in a missing piece in my life. I don't know how many years of it I will have, but I can imagine getting a lot of pleasure from just looking after my boy when he retires.