Can you imagine your life without horses?

chocolategirl

Visit site
Yep in my imagination I would be filthy rich and holidaying somewhere warm and dry most of the year lol! Instead I’m here looking after my own 6 plus clients horses, up to my ankles in mud and my neck in s**t! Damn my imagination!:-(

Snuffles

Visit site
I think I’d be very fat! I’m not someone who enjoys conventional exercise so I’d miss the physical aspect of it. I’m not a people person either so what would I do with my spare time? It’s not a choice to go and see to them, it has to be done and I can’t imagine motivating myself to actually do something every day if I didn’t need to.

Part livery is a nice thought sometimes though.

this is me down to a T (why do we say that anyway?) I don't ride now and wonder at the sense of paying for horses and the tie, but I would find it difficult to bother to get out of bed if I didn't have animals.

joosie

Visit site
My life is horse-free at the moment and it's doing my head in. I've been a full-time, live-in groom for 12 years but now I'm back home studying and training for a non-horsey career. My ponies are still on loan in another country. I've gone from a 60-hour working week riding up to 6 a day to absolutely zero horse contact. I feel like I'm a different person and I don't like it one bit!

Scotto

New User
Visit site
Short answer: No.
I live on a small acreage here in Australia, and lost my girl nearly seven months ago, after 22 years. She was 28. I can't agree more with most of what I'm reading here.
Nobody understands unless they live for horses! Not even my family. I can't see me going back to "owning" a horse due to cost, and the constant worries. She was my best friend and was treated as an equal. We trusted each other implicitly. I didn't ride her much, just let her do her thing. So intelligent and curious. I miss the life I had every day....nearly everything is boring and alien to me now. I miss waking up to go see her, looking for her in the paddock and of course, the countless treats and brushings.
So look after your boys and girls please, we never have them long enough.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I live on a small acreage here in Australia, and lost my girl nearly seven months ago, after 22 years. She was 28. I can't agree more with most of what I'm reading here.
Nobody understands unless they live for horses! Not even my family. I can't see me going back to "owning" a horse due to cost, and the constant worries. She was my best friend and was treated as an equal. We trusted each other implicitly. I didn't ride her much, just let her do her thing. So intelligent and curious. I miss the life I had every day....nearly everything is boring and alien to me now. I miss waking up to go see her, looking for her in the paddock and of course, the countless treats and brushings.

Im so sorry. After 22 years, it must be very hard to deal with such a loss. Completely agree with your last sentence, we never have them long enough, but they do live in your heart forever.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have been almost 8 months without my own and although i love having the extra money and physically i am not missing it but emotionally i feel like a ship without a rudder, although i have lots to catch up with , seeing friends, having days out, getting the garden sorted out, i really cant be bothered half of the time. i do still have contact at my old yard and help out occasionally with the youngstock and i have been offered a horse to ride its not the same as having your own and i am a bit in limbo still......i still do the lottery in the hope that i might win enough to buy a place with land and stables and could get a horse of my own again but could pay someone to do the hard work, especially in the winter.....better not hold my breath

HLOEquestrian

Visit site
I had to sell my young dressage warmblood in 2016 when I decided that I wanted an office job instead of riding for a living (living on site for free and paying reduced livery for a horse). I couldn't afford rent and livery and selling her literally broke me.

I still can't afford to have my own but I'm very lucky that I have been riding a friend's horse for the past 2 years a few times a week and even have the opportunity to compete. If I didn't have this I honestly don't know what I would do, I have tried to pick up other hobbies but I just don't have the same interest in any thing else.

I dream of being able to afford my own again one day and it's honestly all that gets me through my accountancy exams!

SpringArising

Visit site
I can imagine not owning horses - I know I'd always be able to have a ride here and there on friends' horses. I'd certainly enjoy the financial freedom! But I can't imagine not owning my current horse. I'm not sure what it is about him (possibly the fact I bought him when he was so young, so I've done all the firsts with him), but there's just something about him that I love so much.

Hallo2012

Visit site
Oh crikey, I just don't know what I'd do with my time :( They are the first thing I think about in the morning and the last thing I think about at night, the reason I get up in the morning and the thing that gets me through the day at work!

I'm sure there *is* life after horses because people find they have to give up when life throws a curveball - so you just have to suck it up. But I don't want to think about it!

this.

although i moan inwardly to myself about the constant upkeep of the ponies and the yard, i dont know what i would do if i didnt spend every waking minute riding, trimming, washing, sweeping, stacking, tinkering round the yard, weeding, mowing,mending...........etc

and every spare minute at work devouring training articles, blogs etc

i couldnt be a gym bunny and my ankles/knees wont stand running, i dont like an excess of handbags and shoes and detest shopping in actual shops with actual people, i eat to live rather than live to eat and dont like jetting off all the time.

so i would probably be emaciated, bored and pasty lol!!!!

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I'd like to take up jogging and also rock climbing as an alternative hobby as I've always fancied doing both. I need to lose about four stone first though! Because I've barely got out of a trot over the last couple of years (old girl has a multitude of issues all manageable and pain free but still restrictive in what she can do) I would be absolutely shattered cantering a few 20 m circles now. I was only talking the other day at the yard over coffee with friends about what you would do when you had to buy a new horse and I said I'd have to go for some intensive lessons first to try and get some level of fitness back.

TPO

Visit site
Apparently I came out of the womb horse mad. My mum is a horse daft too so that helped. I managed to acquire the ride on Shetland that was dumped in a field belonging to a family friend when I was very young and then we got the first "family pony" (13.2hh welsh x trotter) when I was about 8 or 9.

I've had horses my whole life, nothing flash it was all cheap/problem ponies that were kept cheaply on friend's or family farms and eventually as I was older/an adult various yards and at one point rented a stable block and fields at an old farm. I haven't had any competition experience since my early teens when my best friend took me to PC/XC/SJ etc with her. I've had up to 3 horses at a time and horses have pretty much consumed my whole life. They were the priority and I made to. I only had my own transport for a short period of time and I sold it on when it was only being used for taking horses to the vets or moving yard.

Probably down to a horrendous run of luck (I know it's not luck but that's the easiest way to sum up all the failings!) from approx. 2008 it's been a steady decline.

I'm 36 and now have everything that I never dared to dream of. I have a perfect horse who is everything I could want I have my mum's TB to do what I wish with without having to pay to keep him, my parent's have their own place so I don't have to deal with the head wrecking/soul destroying experience that is livery yards, I have my own wee lorry and I have a job (that someone like me probably shouldn't have!) that means I can easily afford to do all of the horsey things that I've always wanted to do...and I don't want to do any of it.

I keep trying and that spark just isn't there any more. They are no longer the first and last thought, I'm no longer planning and plotting while scraping together all that I can to make it happen even although it's easier than it's ever been to make things happen. A huge weight is lifted that he's at my parents and they live on site so I no longer have the added stress of horrendous lying YOs and neglectful liveries causing constant worry about my horses' welfare. It's easy not to "need" to see him 2x a day (he is still checked at least 3 or 4x a day by my mum) and unlike some of my other sick notes he doesn't need micromanaged which helps.

So while yes I can easily imagine a life without horses, and I'm pretty sure he'll be my last, I couldn't actually bring myself to part with him and it's no bother to keep him how he is currently being kept.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
TPO i find your post very sad, you sound so disillusioned... you are still young so may change your mind. part of it seems to be you dont have to worry about him any more and when we keep them at livery yards it feels necessary to keep a watchful eye on them so it has to be incorporated in our routine...you can now relax in the knowledge that your mum is there...you may find that after a long break you might want to go for a hack sometimes....

Reactions: TPO

Snowfilly

Visit site
I've been horseless since Christmas which is something I couldn't imagine before. I've put on a horrible amount of weight, my mental health which I thought might improve for not having horses to worry about has declined more than I thought it could and it's only thanks to a couple of strict friends that I haven't fallen completely apart. I need to be busy!

Running and swimming haven't worked to fill the gap, a weekly lesson isn't keeping me fit enough and to be honest, there's not opportunities to steward, fence judge etc to stay involved.

I won't be in a position to own again as far as I can see - prices have gone up so much and work doesn't leave time to bring on a youngster. I don't know what the future might hold but I can tell you I'm not excited about any of it. I have no desire to travel, can't have kids and hold a fairly decent job in something useful and fairly rewarding so I don't see anything that can improve.

My horses were the foundation and all the joy of my life and it's awful to be so empty and directionless.

SpringArising

Visit site
I've been horseless since Christmas which is something I couldn't imagine before. I've put on a horrible amount of weight, my mental health which I thought might improve for not having horses to worry about has declined more than I thought it could and it's only thanks to a couple of strict friends. I won't be in a position to own again as far as I can see - prices have gone up so much and work doesn't leave time to bring on a youngster. I don't know what the future might hold but I can tell you I'm not excited about any of it. I have no desire to travel, can't have kids and hold a fairly decent job in something useful and fairly rewarding so I don't see anything that can improve.

My horses were the foundation and all the joy of my life and it's awful to be so empty and directionless.

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so down SF. Could you not get a share or up your lessons?

Reactions: TPO

Fransurrey

Visit site
In a nutshell, no I couldn't imagine life without them. I considered giving it up when both ponies were gone, but when H became ill on NYE, I realised that I would just be a fat blimp if I didn't have horses, or a pale faced gym bunny. So, I committed to another one and had 3 for a while before H was pts. I wasn't sure I could ever enjoy another horse as I did with H, but actually I do and I'm glad I took the course I did in buying a 3rd to help me deal with the loss of H.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Sorry to read this, Scotto. H was a part of my life for 25 years, so I do relate. It's so strange him not being around. I was doing A levels in 1994 when he came into my life.

tristar

Visit site
the first thing i ever remember thinking about was horses, when i was about i year old, i will have no intention of `giving up horses`` ever, i will keep going to the end of the road, to wake up in the morning to my unicorns is magic itself and for me the best thing this world has to offer

The Trooper

Visit site
I can, and it's not pretty. I only really got back into horses after a 15ish year gap away from them 2 years ago. My Granny used to take me to a local riding school for 1 lesson per week if I behaved at school, I was taught the basics, w/t/c and small jumps and then got bored - We could not afford a horse and I didn't feel like I could go much further at the school and that was that.

I then continued to grow (I was 13 i think when i stopped riding) up and started putting on weight. I always assumed that I was too heavy to ever be able to ride a horse again... Then at 26 i took on impulse took on a loan horse called Belle. Immediately I started being happier, more outgoing, loosing weight, getting fitter etc etc.

A year later I bought my own Bonnie and now have the two of them. Belle really did drag me from the darkest depths of depression and help me to get where I am today. Happily in a relationship, living with my partner (Who has also became horsey!).

Without them I'd imagine I'd be even more overweight, miserable, depressed (or worse?). I'd probably still be a loner sitting in my room for hours playing video games... So, not a pretty alternative.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Yes.. I can. I live for the horses as most of us do, but after recently having quite a long holiday with family, the horse were being cared for by a friend and I was surprised how well I took to it.. It did actually make me realize that I can imagine not having them. I'd be on the verge of rich in all the money I'd save! (well, able to live a much more comfortable life money wise. Wouldn't we all?)
Years ago I missed them dreadfully even for a few days.. but after such heart ache and tears in the last 6 months I think it was nice to have a break and enjoy myself without worrying over them. Don't get me wrong, it was lovely to see them and they were happy to see me but sometimes the thought does cross my mind which it never did years ago.

I'm not the type to do nothing or stay indoors, so would need something to fill the time.. and so I didn't get fat! If I ever sold up, I'd get myself another dog (have 3 already) and do more gundog work, more training as the dogs love it, maybe some working tests as this is another hobby as well as clay shooting if I get time/money to do it. I can't do these at the moment, specially gundog tests as it means a lot more dog lessons which are (more) expensive as a riding lesson and I often find myself deciding between the 2.

timbobs

Visit site
I was adamant after losing Ed in February that I didn't want to be around horses as it was just too much emotionally and financially.

I lasted a couple of months and I was bored stiff and got so unfit. I'm now sort of loaning a lovely little Appy mare which is less of a financial burden and I'm enjoying riding again. I'm still struggling emotionally as I'm still missing Ed, but I found I filled my time by eating and sitting in front of the TV instead of the running and socializing I had planned!

tiahatti

Visit site
Our two are both retired now. I can't afford any more so we have adapted to having field ornaments rather rather ridden horses. I am so grateful that we still have them & that they are having a happy retirement.

Twohorses

Visit site
We farmed with horses until I was four.

Granddad raised Welsh/Morgan's, along with beef cattle. Dad said I got my born-in-the-blood horse addiction from him.

It took me u til I was 12 to save enough money for my first horse and even then mom had to add $50. $350 U.S. Dollars was a lot of money back in 1959, especially for a grade horse.

I am 72. I have only been without a horse for one year, since I was 12. That was the year I laid my 29 yr old Arab/Saddlebred to rest that I had raised/trained from birth.

I am down to two horses, 24 & 25. When they are gone, it will be the end of an era and the best love affair ever:).

I will be done with horses because I don't want to "go on" and leave any behind to a fate that might not be kind.

People who know me wonder what I will do without a horse in my life. I reply I hope my horses live long enough that, by the time I lay them to rest, I will be too old to care:)

I've had folks offer to loan me their spare horses but I know those spare horses --- they need work --- I could never let my guard down with them and take as much for granted like I do with my current two who have been with me 13 years and 23 years:):)