Can you read whorls?

Ant123

Visit site
Good evening- I have always wondered what the whorls on my horse’s face may or may not mean- does anyone have the ability to read them, and do you believe in their accuracy.

Attachments

• 8F30BA22-C7AC-4B68-9075-6B7AE1C1BE89.jpeg
    8F30BA22-C7AC-4B68-9075-6B7AE1C1BE89.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 38

LeneHorse

Visit site
I had that book by Linda tellington Jones (not sure of her name either) but I loaned it to someone and never got it back. It was fascinating especially the case studies at the end. I'm not sure how much whorls tell you though.

palo1

Visit site
I don't know how much science is in whorl reading but I have found Linda TT's book fascinating and have always looked at a horse's whorls when buying...!! I love a double whorl at eye level as well as a wheatsheaf whorl. :)

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
When I rode in Rajasthan the horse owner gave us a great talk about different whorls and colours and what he and local horsemen believe they mean. I can't remember anything useful from it of course but it was fascinating! Even down to which horses they believe will end up with heart conditions and all sorts.

Laurac13

Visit site
My current horse has all the exact same whorls as my first horse from 25 years ago ! I was checking their passports for any similar breeding (as they are so alike)which there wasn’t and then noticed they had all their whorls in the exact same places, is this unusual?

Orangehorse

Visit site
The book by Linda Tellington-Jones is very good, and it has proved to be accurate for my horses.

She includes head shape, ears, nostrils, eyes and says it is important to look at the whole horse, the whole head from both sides and front and not just take one thing to make an assessment.

She touches on body whirls but not so much detail.

In some ways you think "but this is obvious and all horse owners know this" - like wanting a large bold eye - but when you get down to details like whorls, it isn't so obvious. She even had a horse that seemed unable to learn anything, and wondered if it had suffered some sort of brain damage when born, which is something we don't normally think about. It had a strange expression on its face.