Can you recommend me a bit for...

Megibo

Visit site
a super awkward ex-racer mare?

She's 16, on loan to me. Known her for two years. Owner has reschooled many tb's but never quite managed fully with her (her words!) as she won't accept a contact. They have tried lots of bits, goes best in a pelham with 2 reins but she opens her mouth and 'chews' or 'grinds' her teeth when you touch her mouth. She will drop into an outline but immediately raise out of it and try to hollow then run off-no matter how many times in a 40 minute session you show her its 'nicer' to work properly she will resist again.
Tried her in a drop noseband once, BIG mistake!

We think its impossible to get her to accept a contact but bit recommendations welcome !

Tack/Back/Teeth all fine!

Interestingly, she will accept a contact better out hacking.. and is happy to work in an outline !
My next bit to try is a happy mouth hanging cheek snaffle with a roller mouthpiece and failing that, a Nathe. I should add she's tried in different bits for a decent length of time not just a couple of sessions!

muff747

Visit site
I know back/teeth etc checked by kissing spines have been missed many times before.
I only thought of that as you say she will drop into an outline but immediately tries to run off. I heard the bit about hacking out, but perhaps there are more distractions out and about maybe?

Megibo

Visit site
I know back/teeth etc checked by kissing spines have been missed many times before.
I only thought of that as you say she will drop into an outline but immediately tries to run off. I heard the bit about hacking out, but perhaps there are more distractions out and about maybe?

Sorry just read that back-my mistake ! She is the type that always wants to go faster! Doesn't try to run after being in an outline but she likes to raise her head/tilt it/ go quite 'hard' on one rein and will canter off if allowed just cos she can-she's fine if you ride from your seat which I do. But she'll hold an outline for a little bit in the school then raise her head again. Every time!

Tern

Visit site
What i like to call a 'Bubble Bit' AKA: Mullen Mouth Flexi Bar. I preferably would NOT bit her up, try her in soft bits that she can lean on, if she i so sensitive in her mouth as you say you want it to be soft so that she can learn it's okay to put pressure slightly on the bit. Maybe without a noseband too, I would say dont try get her into an outline and fancy things before you have found a bit she is comfy in, If i were you i'd on use rubber or synthetic covering bits because if she grinds on the metal she is gonna ruin her teeth!