can you remove a lose shoe?

mandwhy

Visit site
Just wondering who knows how and would feel comfortable doing this?

I know in theory how to do it but haven't physically tried and it looks really hard!

I can't get hold of my farrier (probably because my horse is a moody cow and tried to kick him) and my horse has a loose back shoe, I want them both off anyway as she is not doing much and like I say she can be a bit moody about it so no point until we're doing more work!

I know my friend has farrier coming on Sat so will see if he can do it if I can't, but I don't want her to rip it off in the field (strangely the mud seems to be sticking it on).

So is it really hard? Do you use a farriers tool kit or household tools?

Rebels

Visit site
I used to use pliers, a screwdriver and a hammer before i got my own tools. Depends how loose the shoes is etc. Are the nail heads still dug in?

sandi_84

Visit site
Apparently once you know how to do it it's not that hard to do but I'm not sure what tools you'd use. My OH was going to show me how to do it but now my boy is barefoot so I'd have to go to work with him one day to learn ha ha! :eek:
It would be interesting to know how because at some point in the future I'm sure my lad will be shod again and it's a usefull skill to know :)

nikkinoo

Visit site
We had to take 2 back ones of this wkend.
Alk we had was a flat head s.driver and a claw hammer. I knocked the clenches up on hoof then used the bk of claw hammer to pull the ones i could out through shoe then wiggle the shoe off helps if u have pliers to grip it but we managed without. Once u have done it or seen it being done it is quite easy.
Maybe when farrier is out u could ask him to watch and advise u how to take it off.

HardySoul1

Visit site
I had to learn this for BHS exams 25 years ago! Thankfully not used much since. Make sure you waggle shoe inwards towards frog to reduce hoof damage. Imo shoes are not nearly as loose as they appear!

Ellen Durow

Visit site
Just wondering who knows how and would feel comfortable doing this?

I know in theory how to do it but haven't physically tried and it looks really hard!

I can't get hold of my farrier (probably because my horse is a moody cow and tried to kick him) and my horse has a loose back shoe, I want them both off anyway as she is not doing much and like I say she can be a bit moody about it so no point until we're doing more work!

I know my friend has farrier coming on Sat so will see if he can do it if I can't, but I don't want her to rip it off in the field (strangely the mud seems to be sticking it on).

So is it really hard? Do you use a farriers tool kit or household tools?

Some years ago when we lost the stableman who could remove loose shoes, I got the farrier to teach me how to remove a shoe in an emergency - a skill we should all have. Fortunately, I've never needed to use the knowledge and I don't think this forum is the place to give hints and advice on how to do it.

I shouldn't think the other farrier would object to removing the faulty shoe although he is likely to charge you a small amount for his time. (In your circumstance I think this would be reasonable.)

Marydoll

Visit site
Yes, and have done several times, was shown how and supervised doing so the first time by my farrier for my stages years ago, ive got shoe pullers and as long as the clenches are knocked up it should pull away easy

barehoofhannah

Take a look at this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/l8YvYiSKDQ0
Called Emergency Horse Shoe Removal, Unbridled TV is a short USA clip made I think by Anvil to show their owners removal kit but it gives you the idea. I don't think it's that easy to gentley take shoe of and do no damage if don't do regularly or the hoof wall has started to grow over the clinches so you can't get them up or a nail head and the shoe have blended as one as then the nail head won't pop up to pull it out individually. This happened a couple of weeks ago and I very gradually kept wiggling the shoe (diagonally across ways motion) until I'd loosened enough to pull off with 3 nails still in and not take off any hoof wall. I was doing it to take barefoot to wanted to be really careful not to take out any of the hoof but it maybe you don't need to be as careful if a shoe is going back on (I'm trimmer not a farrier) I'd ask your farrier before be arrives if he has the time to do it a bit slower when he next comes round and so you can see, he or she will prob have some handy hints as they seem to get them off so easy and quick through experience. Unsure whether through insurance they'd let you have a go or if safe if you say your horse kicks. Maybe some cake if they spending a bit longer.

Our local horse shop sells the equipment. Probably easier will the actual tools.

I don't enjoy taking off shoes and concerned horse could put foot down before I've knocked shoe back down (after wiggled it up) a and slighltly raised nails get could get pushed in at wrong angle so please watch and ask questions first. Useful skill in an emergency as you can get it off if loose in a field.

Best wishes
Hannah

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Yup and I think it's a basic thing that every horse owner should learn to do. Slightly off tangent your post has broken my dream... I did actually remove a shoe the other night in my sleep and this has just reminded me lol. No idea what the rest of the dream was about!

Merlin11

Visit site
My OH has done it when necessary although would prefer not to. His father was a blacksmith and gave him the tools and showed him how to do it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yes several times. Had to make do with pliers at first but the last and more difficult time as the shoe was twisted nastily I borrowed the correct tools from the next yard down. It's not too difficult really but I'd only do it if I had to.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
When my pony came to me last year (in a sorry state) he had 2 fronts shoes on that were both flapping. Pony was very nervous and wouldn't let me near his feet. A farrier came onto the yard and my poor pony was terrified :( the second he got out the van pony was panicking, trying to get away, thought he was going to go through the post and rail fencing at one point. So had to leave it.

Took me a few days but myself and OH got him confident enough that I could pick up the foot and OH used a hammer to prise the shoe away. Although they were flapping when he walked, they were on quite tight! Took us ages to do, got through tons on pony nuts but did it in the end!

Pony still hates farrier so he is now barefoot and I trim him myself.

I imagine with the right tools and a compliant horse its really easy!

Angua2

Visit site
yes many times with the help of a claw hammer, pliers and screwdriver.

If I ever go back to shoes I don't doubt I will have to again, but for the moment I am loving not having to worry.

mandwhy

Visit site
Thanks everyone - I don't particularly want to do it but I didn't really want to leave it til Saturday, like I say I do know in theory and have seen it done but I haven't actually tried it.

Haffiesrock - I kind of have the same problem! My girl was a handful when the farrier came and nervous, not so bad on the fronts, just kept putting them down and she is so strong being a haffy! The backs she didn't mind being picked up so much but as soon as there was any metallic clinking sound she kicked out just enough to say 'let go'.

She has been bad with her feet ever since the first time! When I first got her I just had to tap her on the hock to pick it up, she would lose balance (or pretend to) on the front feet a bit and I did have to let go a few times if she moved because of my weak recently broken arm, I don't know maybe that taught her moving gets away with it, but I only have two arms so there we go! She will do it for food though, I have since done sessions where OH gives treats when I say and I do the feet which have gone ok, and I can get her to pick them up without food now but not hold them up for long.

Another problem is I have to take her outside the field to an area on the footpath to get it done as the field is too wet, so that adds to her nerves. Sigh!

Obviously I don't mind paying the farrier, I figured he'll do a trim too and check the fronts.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I had to when Madame cantered off down a road when I'd asked her to get her quarters back in! My first hack on her! I jumped off, borrowed a bemused looking workman to hold her and twisted it carefully off. It was too 'off' to walk her back so had to go. Ordinarily, I wouldn't do it. This was a bit of an emergency. :eek:

mandwhy

Visit site
Haha cinnamontoast we all need a bemused looking workman sometimes!
I had to employ the help of a bemused jogger to catch a wayward horse cantering around like a loon when the arm breaking incident occurred, thankfully I had a friend with me too though, they must go home and be like 'a funny thing happened today...'