Can you retire a 13 year old ex-showjumper?

griffin88

New User
Visit site
Hello,

I wanted to understand peoples views on retiring an ex-showjumper. My mare had a suspensory ligament injury this year which meant she had to have an operation. She recovered fine from the op and her last scan showed signs of healing so she has been turned out for the last 3 months. She is happy being turned out and canters around without going lame and there is no heat in the leg. However, after one mad gallop she came in slightly lame and had to be in for a day. The next day she was fine and has been turned out again since with no further problems.

We are due to go to her next scan soon to see if it is healing anymore but wanted to ask if it is possible to retire a 13 year old showjumper (Dutch Warmblood)? Some people have said to me you can't really retire a horse like that which I am slightly confused by. If she is happy in the field with her friends, showing no signs of pain I do not see why this is an issue?

I would rather being her back into work but if the scan shows no signs or prospect for this then I am thinking I will have to retire her.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

skint1

Visit site
I never really understand that either, I guess there might be some horses who need a job or a purpose, all mine must be slackers though because whenever they've been turned away for any period of time they've not complained.

If the mare is field sound and happy and you can afford it, then you could certainly see how it goes

AdorableAlice

Visit site
As long as you have the space, finances and dedication to care for her why should she not be retired.

If she is settled in her environment, not in pain that cannot be controlled/managed and has company she should be fine. Would she be suitable for a pleasure hack for someone, perhaps stay on your premises so you can oversee her care ?

griffin88

New User
Visit site
Thanks for your advice!

My mum wants to have her as a happy hacker and I would love for that to happen. We are just thinking in case there is no chance of riding her again at all. Finances aren't a problem in regards to retiring her, she could be kept out with one of her friends so think she would be more than happy. She is loving life at the moment which is why I was a bit confused!

Thanks!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have retired several horses. The current one was a very busy competition horse, the only time he gets upset is seeing the lorry go out. All he does is call and fret along the fence line.

An old hunter was the funniest, he would sulk, plant his bottom against the gate and refuse to talk to anyone. He also had a habit of biting the first person who spoke to him after the lorry had left.

kellybee

Visit site
A friend of mine has a 26yr old riding school pony who hates to be retired. She's tried twice, but found he was quiet, not eating properly and seemed generally depressed. Upon being led out in hand at the back of a ride he perked right up and came back into light work, and did the same when she tried to retire him he second time. I think he suffers with boredom and really enjoys his job.

I do believe though that he is one of a rare few. Some horses really love their jobs, others dont seem to mind what they're doing as long as they're healthy and have company. It might not be practical for some owners to retire a horse so young, but realistically if he's happy to be out in a herd, and it works for you then why not?

Spring Feather

Visit site
I just retired a showjumper a few months ago. Aged 12. She stopped competing in March fully sound. I bred her in April and she has adjusted perfectly to the broodmare life. All of my broodmares were competition horses, most I moved to the breeding shed at under 10 years old.

It's a VERY rare horse that cannot enjoy being retired and spend their lives wandering around fields. I've never met one and I have a fair few horses.

babymare

Visit site
As people have said yes there are some who cant retire but very few. come on most would love to spend thier days being horses with mates :) whhat about in hand work if ness . even a walk out in hand if sound enough. fingers crossed though she will be sound to be a happy hacker for your mum :)

dogatemysalad

Visit site
My SJ has had a very successful career and absolutely loves competing. I did worry that she wouldn't cope with a slower pace after recovering from injury, I needn't have worried, she enjoys flat work and hacking and generally being valued.
I did ensure that her free time was as good as I could make it, lots of company and lovely fields to roam.

KSR

Visit site
I took on an 11yo Dutch Wb SJ who was being shot..

She fractured her shoulder and wouldn't jump again so was being despatched.. I was offered her or she was finished..

She's 16 in November.. Field sound and has the odd light hack.. She loves her attention and affection and is a content, well balanced mare..

As others have said, if you have the time, space and money, there is no reason why your horse can't be successfully retired..

Horseback Rider

Visit site
I have just retired my 13 yr old TB who was a racer then riding horse due to injury. He used to need to be worked 6 days a week so he wasn't a pain so I did have my reservations as he was generally a stress head any way. However the difference in him is amazing he has completely adapted to it he shares a field with a horse I have on loan to ride and they get on really well but he is equally happy when I ride and and he is out on his own. I do bring him in for a groom now and then and walk him out in hand but he is fine with it all they adapt to things better than we do sometimes !!

HashRouge

Visit site
Thanks for your advice!

My mum wants to have her as a happy hacker and I would love for that to happen. We are just thinking in case there is no chance of riding her again at all. Finances aren't a problem in regards to retiring her, she could be kept out with one of her friends so think she would be more than happy. She is loving life at the moment which is why I was a bit confused!

Thanks!
The horse you've described sounds like she would be perfectly happy retired, I don't think you have anything to worry about!

sport horse

Visit site
All my showjumpers retire - the very best ones come into my breeding operation and the others are found less demanding homes. I currently have my much loved 23 year old - she jumped up to International level, had 6 foals and now lives in the best box in the middle of the yard, goes out in the field for as long as she wants ( depends on the weather and she tells us!). They all settle very happily into their new roles and watch the lorry go out to shows with the young upstarts on board and then chat amongst themselves about 'what is was like in their day'!!!
Good luck your mare will be fine.

Loulou2002

Visit site
My old showjumper was 14 when she did her suspensory. Unfortunately she never came sound and is quite happy being a companion. I would of loved to have her as a hack but she isn't sound enough. Did try having a foal from her too as she is really well bred but was unsuccessful.

Loubidy

Visit site
If you can afford to do it and she's not suffering then no reason why not, however you should decide an action plan if she does suffer even if it's something new whether you will treat or pts

wyrdsister

Visit site
As others have said, it depends on the horse and your mare sounds like she'd be perfectly happy retired - if she's not fit enough to come back into work. One of mine has had two years off with an injury and has only just about tolerated the whole process while turned away at a perfectly lovely retirement yard (trying it at home was an utter nightmare!). The other two wouldn't give a hoot if I retired them tomorrow and never asked another thing of them. LP is probably never going to be 100% again, but as far as we can tell it's residual mechanical damage now and she would much rather be home 'playing' around very lightly than standing in a field bored and sulking. You pretty much have to play it by what makes them seem comfortable and content.

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
If you've got the land and finances, no problem. If she an be a hack, bonus!

I have a field full of retired show jumpers and, guess what, they ain't bothered about jumping, they're very happy munching and being horses.

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
I've got a Dutch Warmblood too - retired from BS aged 12, was my happy hacker till I fully retired him at 19 and he's now 24! I'm sure he couldn't care less that he's retired! He wants for nothing and is happy as Larry! 😃