Can you ride an impregnated mare?

nagblagger

Visit site
Maybe you should put this question in the club house or tack room for more exposure. I rode my mare until she started bagging up, so a month before birth but it was only happy hacking and she wasn't meant to be pregnant!

Smitty

Visit site
Maybe you should put this question in the club house or tack room for more exposure. I rode my mare until she started bagging up, so a month before birth but it was only happy hacking and she wasn't meant to be pregnant!

Me too, stopped riding her 3 weeks before she foaled, and that was because I was ill !! I was wondering why she was puffing going up hills. Should have listened to farrier and not vet :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Smitty

Visit site
The birth must have been fine as it happened in an hour from getting her in in the morning to taking her hay out an hour later. Both she and foal were fine. Sadly I had foal pts at 10 due to stifle issues.

Smitty

Visit site
Well, she was 11 or 12 when she gave birth. Absolutely fine after and started ridjng her again a year or so later if I remember correctly.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I rode mine until about two months before due date, hacking only. Led her out in hand then until birth just to keep her moving. Started leading her and foal out when foal as about a month old. Not far but kept mare going and foal saw lots of sights, traffic, people and dogs and was always brilliant in traffic as she matured. Lost that foal last year at thirty years old.

Snowfilly

Visit site
Old vet always used to say you wanted a nice fit mare with plenty of muscle strength to help with the birth process and make sure she stayed in better shape afterwards.

Aside from the two permanent brood mares, all of ours worked as normal for the first few months including competing and then eased of to just hacking until about 8 weeks before or until they got fed up with it.

Same as pregnant women, exercise is much safer for the mum than being fat and unfit.