Can you sell on an RSPCA horse you've rehomed?

Trix98

Visit site
Just a basic question to ease my curiosity really, a while back I was in touch with a woman regarding a filly that I knew from the day she was born but lost touch with the owners and later randomly tracked her down and we got talking about her breeding etc. It was then discovered that said mare was rehomed through the RSPCA. Anyway, after recently checking it would appear that the filly has been sold on as owner and horse had their differences. Now, I know this has nothing to do with me really, but I was just curious to know if you are technically allowed to sell a rehomed RSPCA horse on? As I know some charities don't condone this and ask for the horse to be returned to them to be later adopted out again... Any theories or answers are welcomed!

wallykissmas

Visit site
I know you can a cat re homed from the rspca as once you pay the donation it's yours , I was told by law they were unable to enforce their old requirement to say you could not sell/give to anyone else. I'm unsure if this stands for their horses too.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think the RSPCA after a period of time some of the horses are passed into the ownership ofthe people who rehome them .'

The other option was the horse was in a bad situation and the RSPCA encouraged the owner to sell or give the horse to a interested third party so this might be how the story got going because the horse has never been in RSPCA case but they assisted in getting it out of a troublesome situation .

Adopter

Visit site
I have a loan contract with the Blue Cross, and their welfare officers keep in touch and visit to check all is well. I think most of the equine rehoming charities work in a similar way, and you if you cannot longer look after the animal it goes back to the charity for rehoming.

The thought that a rescued animal can be sold on raises all sorts of questions and ethics.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
you arnt supposed too, but i suspect it happens.

That animal never truely becomes yourc you loan it, an issues the animal should go back.

I know most charities do regular checks, but with so many animals it easy to see how they can loose track of them..

Its sad those, instead of giving the animal back so it can find an approved home.
The person is selling, getting money then has no control iver the animald future.

:-(

Trix98

Visit site
The other option was the horse was in a bad situation and the RSPCA encouraged the owner to sell or give the horse to a interested third party so this might be how the story got going because the horse has never been in RSPCA case but they assisted in getting it out of a troublesome situation .

Goldenstar, the filly was removed from an unsuitable situation along with multiple other horses and was then rehomed to said individual through their usual rehoming process after a few months of rehabilitation. The person then owned the mare for about a year but claimed they didn't get on very well and hadn't the time and says that the mare is now sold. I just find it very odd that a charity could allow this to happen as surely any of their rehomed horses could end up in a situation from which they were first 'rescued' from...

katastrophykat

Visit site
Just checked here and confirmed...

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/horses/rehoming/process

"Happy endings

After a successful probation, the adoption is completed and the horse will be transferred permanently into your ownership."

We're not far from Chester-le-street and there are a few that have been on my livery yard- one at least was sold on from there

widget

Visit site
After a year it's signed over to the loaner and then they can sell/breed/do what they want. I don't like that idea prefer the permanent loan so that horse is safe for life

RubysGold

Visit site
I don't know whether you can or not.
but it may be that the owner DID give it back to them and they rehomed again, sometimes its just easier to say it sold?

tabithakat64

Visit site
My horse that I lost last year, Merlin was ceased by the RSPCA as a yearling and legitimately sold on by the person who rehomed him as a youngster as she couldn't cope with his behaviour.
The next owner perservered for years but ultimately sold him on due to dangerous behavioural issues and by the time I ended up with him he'd been through several homes and at least three sales rings in less than two months.
All very sad, horses rescued by the RSPCA definitely don't have loving homes for life - this is another reason to avoid them like the plague.
They are not truly a rescue sanctury like Redwings or the Blue Cross who ensure animals they have rescued are well cared for for the rest of their lives.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Sounds like a cost cutting exercise, pure and simple. Shame on you, RSPCA.

Think about it if they had to put aside capacity for allowing horses to come back in it would severely limit the amount of horses they could help.
They however should never do this with horses with severe health or behavioural issues.
Personally I think all charities should bolder about PTS induiduals woth severe conformational and health issues to save resources .
This would clearly be a difficult thing to sell with the public but it would be realistic .
We have too many poor quality horses in circulation in this country it's heartbreaking .

MadBlackLab

Visit site
Think about it if they had to put aside capacity for allowing horses to come back in it would severely limit the amount of horses they could help.
They however should never do this with horses with severe health or behavioural issues.
Personally I think all charities should bolder about PTS induiduals woth severe conformational and health issues to save resources .
This would clearly be a difficult thing to sell with the public but it would be realistic .
We have too many poor quality horses in circulation in this country it's heartbreaking .

Agree with this

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Totally agree with this. I would still prefer the RSPCA to keep tabs on animals that have gone through their care, though, but I can appreciate that it would impact on the number of animals that they can take on.

Just hope that my former RSPCA foster filly has landed on her feet in her new home.

Mudfukkle

Visit site
WOW! I've really learnt something today. I never realised that the RSPCA gave over full ownership to the adopter, I personally think that's terribly unethical.

I also loan one from the Blue Cross and she will always belong to them. She is checked by their field officer every 6 months, any issues and I can email/text the field officer for advice and support and come the day I can no longer keep her, they will either take her back to the centre for re-homing or she can be re-homed directly from me to a home-checked home.

I had a cat years ago from the local RSPCA centre, and even with the cat I was not allowed to re-home her myself if I could no longer keep her, the literature quite clearly stated that I could not re-home her myself and that she had to go back to the centre, so maybe it is different for cats and dogs? Of course I kept the lovely cat until the sad day she was pts for age related health issues.

I find this very worrying that previously rescued horses/ponies could potentially end up in dreadful circumstances again.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Just hope that my former RSPCA foster filly has landed on her feet in her new home.
I am actually very upset now. I adored this little filly, and when I returned her to the RSPCA at the end of August, I told them that I would have her back at any time if she proves unsuitable for work.

If I had known that the RSPCA would have no responsibility for her long term future, I would have 'bought' her for the £400 asking price. I am gutted.

khalswitz

Visit site
The SSPCA does this as well - I got my horse from there. Personally, I like it - yes it;s not a home for life, but they do do a thorough check before rehoming, and certainly the SSPCA offer to take back any horse if home is not right, but it requires signing over to the SSPCA again. I like having the horse as mine - wouldn't loan unless it was a companion maybe. They are also packed to the rafters already, so being able to get some horses out to allow others to come in is important.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Well I shall force myself to sit on my hands and not try to find out if 'my' filly is perhaps not fully 'adopted' aka 'sold' yet.

Last time I looked, about a month ago, the rescue centre had 14 equines in its books, today it has 23 ready for adoption :(. I must try to be pleased that 'my' girl flew out of there pretty quickly.

I really don't want to go back to having 4, as I am geared up for 3, so I had best leave it. Would still have kept her if I'd known, though.

Adopter

Visit site
A charity remaining the owners for life does not mean that they will not be able to move their horses and ponies onto new homes, it just has to be part of the ethos of the organisation that the rescued animal will always be their responsibility to rehome for its life time.

Ponies are being pts, it is only a few weeks ago the reports of a terrible case where 100 ponies were pts which must have been most distressing for all those involved in the rescue.

Ellibelli

Visit site
Wow I am genuinely gobsmacked by this - I am so glad I've recently changed my will and left a legacy and my animals to more responsible charities. Whatever people may think of the RSPCA, they seriously need to work on their public relations!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

I completely agree with your pts point, GS but don't understand your point about capacity. WHW, Happa, etc all retain ownership of their rehomed equines and take back and find new homes for any which need that. It would not need a vast number of spare places to be available, as most of those horses would be moved out again. It does of course mean that RSPCA don't take responsibility for their elderly horses and ponies which can't be ridden and may be at greatest risk of being returned.
It doesn't put the charity in a good light at all imho.

Freddie19

Visit site
Could we have someone from the RSPCA on here to clarify this. I have two rescue equines, 1 donkey, (donkey sanctuary) 1 very old pony (local Horse/Pony rescue centre). As far as I am concerned they do NOT belong to me. If I sold/gave them away I would be stealing. If the RSPCA are passing on ownership, I think that it is wrong. I love them to bits and if anything happened to me, I have specified, that the sanctuaries must be informed and decide what to do about them.