Can you settle an arguement?

Cobland

Visit site
My mate and i had a silly wee arguement tonight, she said that I paid too much for my horse and I said that she is asking far too much for her horse!

I have a 13.2hh heavy irish cob mare, she is 3.5 years old, broke in but not schooled. Shes good to work with and is green which im working on. She is in foal to another heavy irish cob and due in May. She is also broke in for driving, but not done any shows, what price would you pay for her?

PICT0037.jpg

My friend is selling a 16.1hh irish draught mare, she is 11 years old. She is a good gentle horse that could be used in a riding stable if schooled. She has some vices, bad on the road, kicks out, "cat" jumps over jumps, not great to box. She is however a nice horse and a confidence giver, she could however kick out at other mares or someone in the stable if she is in a stroppy mood. She rears up on the road but excellent horse in the arena. Shes done some dressage shows but always placed in the bottom 5-10.

PICT0017.jpg

GTs

Visit site
Nothing - I think 3 and a half is too young to be in foal. If she was not in foal I would say she sounds rather nice.

Cobland

Visit site
I was not the one that put her in foal! I totally agree that its far too young, as shes only a baby herself.

She was broke in at a very young age. Now im determind to give her one hell of a home.

GTs

Visit site
I would personally keep her for a year or 2 - at 4-5 if she is quiet, safe on hacks, going nicely, and driving I think she would be a rather nice catch!!!

Tia

Visit site
13.2hh cob - somewhere around £700.

16.1hh ID - £2,750 - £4,000 depending on whether registered and if she has decent conformation.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Sorry don't agree with the comment that 3 is too young to be in foal. They dont have any weight to carry until the last few months when they will either be rising 4 or 4yr olds. As most people start their horses at 3yr then turn them away to bring back at 4yrs or rising what extra strain is being put on a 3yr old going into foal?? There is less harm done to a mare that foals at 4yrs then one that is being asked to work at the levels I see them. I have known (though do not agree with) plenty of people putting their mares in-foal at 2yrs. I worked for someone that did just that, though it did not do the mare any harm what so ever. As for the original post concerning prices, horses are worth what people are willing to pay, just like everything else in this world.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Each horse is worth whatever anyone is willing to pay for them. Arguments like this between friends are such a waste of time and energy.

Sounds like a little green eyed monster is lurking for both of you!
wink.gif

Sal_E

Visit site
Not sure about the youngster (buy one, get one free!), but your friend's horse - probably £2k at that age with those issues. The sort of person that would really apprecite the confidence giving aspects, would not want a horse that rears on the road or kicks out. And someone who will be happy to deal with the issues, will probably want something a bit more talented... Therefore, you've got a fairly small market for her.

the watcher

Visit site
Pony £1000 approx
Horse £1500..can't be a novice ride if it isn't safe on roads, can't jump, doesn't do particularly good flatwork..going to be hard to find a home for this one for any more money

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You are right OP, you have had a silly arguement which is an absolute waste of time. What each others horse is worth is immaterial. If you are both content with your animals then great. Personally I wouldn't by a mare in foal, particularly at that age & I also wouldn't buy a horse that rears or perform s on the road. As I say though, they are obviously worth the money each of you paid for your animals to yourselves. Now stop this nonsense, make up & enjoy your company & horses.

Sal_E

Visit site
TZ - that's a bit strong! She didn't ask for comments regarding whether or not she should have had the argument!!!

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Horse £1500..can't be a novice ride if it isn't safe on roads, can't jump, doesn't do particularly good flatwork..going to be hard to find a home for this one for any more money

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I thought!

WelshRareBit

Visit site
Well I woud pay under £1k for each of them! As some of you know I paid £1200 for Murphy and he jumps well hacks out well box/shoe/catch etc - so Im a bit biased, I think horse prices have gone crazy in this country
xx

Dogbetty141

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Do bear in mind that you are getting coblands view of her friends horse so the bad points may be highlighted to prove her point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree this mare may just need to be worked morewe have not been told of any good points really. You can never tell untill you actually see both horses. Pics are very misleading sometimes.

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
Cob: £500 as its gotta stand in a field doing nothing til shes had her foal. Money spent on a horse through winter that cant really do anything with.

Irish horse i wouldnt touch with a barge pole, even if i was given her. She is NOT a confidence giver if she rears on the road, of if she cat leaps.
Nor is she safe if she kicks in the stable.

KatB

Visit site
RE the irsih mare cat leaping, that could be down to poor riding as opposed to the horses jump. I'dbe less concerned about that than having a stopper! However, shed be in a very small market.
Cob depends on who the foal is by, and how much had been done with her, etc. But about £700.

Tempi

Visit site
i personally wouldnt pay anything for the one that rears, altho id get the owner to get its back checked -especially as its cat leaping fences too.......

the cob id pay around £200 for if i had to........imo you cant do anything wth it for at least year whilst its having its foal and then has the foal at foot..........

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Irish cob mare in foal...did you get it from the gypsies? Or a sales? Without meaning to sound rude, I wouldnt pay more than 500 for it. She looks sweet enough but isnt particulary well marked. Is she well bred or the foal well bred? That's personally what I would pay for it, she's not my type.

irish draught mare that cat jumps, rears on the road, and is silly on the road. If I owned a riding school I'd run a mile from that. So unless she finds someone who doesnt want to hack out, and wants to just plod around the menage I think she'd be lucky to get more than a grand for it. again, not my type.

As someone else said a horse is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. If you paid alot for your mare then that's up to you, you thought she was worth it, and if she makes you happy then no price is too high. As for your friend's mare, she may find someone who wants something that rears on the road and is prepared to pay whatever for her. Silly argument to be having really.

not_with_it

Visit site
As my mouth went
shocked.gif
my tea dribbled out.
grin.gif

I would pay £500 max for the cob depending on its temperament and same for the other if I had to. I would rather buy the cob if I had to chose one but I would never pay that much. There is no way it could be described as a confidence giver

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
I paid less for my 11 yr old gelding who has jumped 1.20m classes and won them!!! he has over £700 winnings, hes not the easiest of rides but hes not naughty or nasty!

And ive just sold a 15hh coloured 7 yr old dutch mare, bombproof in all respects, ideal any rider. £1500

IMO for £2500 you could have bought another cob which was schooled and jumping and hacking out etc etc etc and probs still had money to spare

claire1976

Visit site
Hmmm. a horse that is bad on road, kicks out, cat leaps, rears, won't box - not a confidence giver I'm afraid. People who need confidence givers are novice riders or people who are coming back to riding etc- they need a bombproof horse that is good in all ways. This horse is not.

Prices:
Cob £600 max- can't do anything with it for at least a year.
Horse: £1000 max- needs lots of work

Just basing this on whats been posted, things may be different if I saw them in the flesh and this is just my opinion.

Cobland

Visit site
OMG I cant believe how rude everyone is being! And I didnt pay £2500 for her, I got it talked down to £1900 with an agreement that the ex owner will take the foal for £1000.

I really wish now that I never bothered posting on here

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
OMG I cant believe how rude everyone is being! And I didnt pay £2500 for her, I got it talked down to £1900 with an agreement that the ex owner will take the foal for £1000.

I really wish now that I never bothered posting on here

[/ QUOTE ]

So you value your mare at £900, which isn't far off what everyone else has been saying. What happens if something goes wrong with the foal do you still get your £1000?