Can you worm when a horse is on bute ?

welshcobabe

Visit site
In the question really we have a livery who's horse is on long term bute medication she is reluctant to worm her horse with the rest of them because of it. I had a quick word with the vet and he said OK just was thinking had any of you lot done so and just to make sure that they were no ill effects. I do know all horses are different but would be grateful for any input just to ease her mind. Thanks.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I never had a problem with Freddy who was on Danillon more or less permanently.

However, we did loose a horse at our yard about four years ago after it was wormed and on Bute. Now the PM was never 100% conclussive that the reason was for the mixture of Bute and wormer - however, the worming company paid for all of the veterinary treatment, and subsequent postmoterm - without obviously admitting any liability.

k9h

Visit site
Years ago had a horse on bute permenatley & was wormed normally with all the other horses. Nowadays I would be more worried about the damage to the liver from all the bute as its not good long term.

selina25

Visit site
yes def worm him,,,,, no problems at all..... there are alternatives to bute but whenever I mention them to my vet he looks to the sky and blows he does not think any of them work he said he would rather a horse be on bute and not in pain for its final days than gain a few extra months being in pain