Canada Geese....... any experts?!

Mix26

Visit site
I had geese on the island of my pond, she'd laid eggs and we estimated she was about ready to hatch. They woke me up at 5am squawking and screeching. When I got home tonight there's just half a broken egg shell on the island....... no sign of anything else. Where's my goose family?!? 😞

Clodagh

Visit site
In s foxes tummy probably. There should be no squarking and it is a high risk time when the eggs hatch. I hope I am wrong and Rabatsa is right.

Mix26

Visit site
Would they be up and about so soon?!

We've never seen a hint of a fox here.....

I'm very sad, we've watched them since they arrived ��

popsdosh

Visit site
Do I need to man up to the fact they're all dead and not just on a day too?! ��

It is more likely they have moved them on ! It is not unusual for them to hatch and then move them to a different spot. I think your being to pessimistic .Fox is about the only predator that would attempt taking on a Canada goose at hatching there would be other evidence of an attack also. One of the reasons they will move is to start the goslings on fresh clean grass,they are quite canny like that.

Casey76

Visit site
Likely hatched and mum and dad have taken them off to graze.

Not necessarily. Chicks take 24 hours to dry out/fluff up properly, and geese and ducks aren't immediately waterproof. Other than that the remaining yolk, means that they do not need food for up to 72 hours after hatching, so there would be no need to move on for at least that long.

A predator in the nest (mink/stoat/weasel) is more likely I'm afraid.

Mix26

Visit site
Panic over!! They are in next doors pond!! Less dog, horse and husband disturbance I think!
��

_GG_

Visit site
Was just about to say...the screeching meant something no doubt disturbed them and they've just moved on.

Glad they didn't go far.