Cancellation of Event.. changes plan, wwyd ?

morrismob

Visit site
Hi,

Just wondering on what others would do. We had planned to start with Aston 100 before going to Lincolnshire two weeks later and doing the Novice. Now Aston is running the next Friday it leaves us with 7 days between the events.

The horse is fit and ready but we were hoping for a run at 100 before moving upto Novice. The pair have competed all last season happily at 100 and we did the Novice at Little Downham which wasn't as successful as we hoped but was mainly due to rider error. They have spent the winter training hard and are ready to do Novice but just now not sure about the week only between events. What would you do ?

dianchi

Visit site
Run in both!

Be good to get a round in before the novice, plus if it does go to plan just withdraw from novice.

Good luck!

Nicnac

Visit site
If the horse is fit and you are starting with a 100, no reason not to do it. You can still withdraw from/ask to change to 100 if space at Lincs if 100 doesn't go to plan or feel move up is too soon.

rising_promise

Visit site
If they are fit and ready running twice in 2 weeks shouldn't be too much , especially if the first run is within their comfort zone.

Much better to have a confidence giving run to start the season.

morrismob

Visit site
Thanks for replies ! Of course if this weather stays Aston won't run. Next year not going to start til April. We are staying the night before at Lincs so at least he doesn't have to travel for hours.

morrismob

Visit site
Oh yikes ! Choose it after reading its write up on BE and the fact the ground sounded good, not too worried by big track more if its very technical but they will use the alternatives if need be. It was that or Goring Heath. Its hard when you don't know the venues but have been to all of the ones local to us but they aren't running til April or later. How does it compare to places like Firle, Brightling, Chilham or Borde Hill ? Thanks :)

Gamebird

Visit site
Haven't done any off the others you mention I'm afraid - based further north. Hope I haven't put you off! There's some biggish tables and some technical stuff at Lincoln (a lot use it as a prep run for Belton). I can't remember about alternatives except for at the coffin near the end where there always used to be an alternative part a. It's flat though and the ground should be good!

morrismob

Visit site
Haven't done any off the others you mention I'm afraid - based further north. Hope I haven't put you off! There's some biggish tables and some technical stuff at Lincoln (a lot use it as a prep run for Belton). I can't remember about alternatives except for at the coffin near the end where there always used to be an alternative part a. It's flat though and the ground should be good!

Thanks GB ! Only ones they have done anywhere near you is Purston Manor, Keysoe and MK. No idea where you are though. No, don't worry about putting us off it will be an education for them and let us know what they need to work harder on. ;)

AnShanDan

Visit site
Lincoln can certainly be a challenge in all phases: cold, windy dressage, up to height show jumping in the big arena, but courses are flowing and not trying to catch you out, and reasonably decent XC, but there are usually plenty of black flag fences, and nothing horrible.

7 days between events is fine, and if first one doesn't run and you're worried, drop down at Lincoln to 100.

becca1305

Visit site
Its thrown me off a little bit too. I'd entered the UA at ALW on 3rd & UA on 9th, then we are also off to Lincoln but to do the 100 as looking at course photos & chatting to trainer decided it wouldn't be the best choice for my first Novice. I was aiming for the Novice at ALW UA after Lincoln, however am now doubting myself as will be missing a run since the UA was rescheduled for 10th which is the day after my first run now! (all going to plan). I wouldn't be concerned about the closeness, I hadn't entered ALW on 9th as thought it was too close to first one on 3rd, but chatting to two of my trainers both assured me it was absolutely fine at 100 level :).

eventing_2012

Visit site
Id def have the 100 run, lincoln Novice is pretty strong, and wouldnt class it as a step up event more of a novice for those who are regularly competing at that level.

meardsall_millie

Visit site
I'm afraid I have to agree with the others. Lincoln is a strong Novice and I definitely wouldn't go into it cold. There's plenty of decent tables and enough technicality for early season. When I did it I'd finished the previous season at Novice and used it as prep for Belton.