Cancer/Goodbye/Feeding - Help Pls.

KJJ

Visit site
Hi All,

Not sure if anyone remembers me of old? I had a beautiful Ridgeback called Finn.

Sadly my darling boy was taken from me early this year by Cancer, he battled for a short 6weeks and went to sleep at home just 5.5yrs old. I am devastated and can't believe it is over 5months since he has gone.

Finnphotoshoot.jpg

We are due to collect a gorgeous little pup a week saturday and was wondering if people would give me their opinion on feeding!

Finn started life on Royal Canin and Nature Diet and in fairness ate this until he became ill. I tried him with BARF but after 6months he did not enjoy this and we reverted to his favoured RC & ND.

I am slightly concerned about feeding a processed food as the vets suggested that Wheat/Rice encouraged/fed the cancer that Finn had... however didn't imply it was the cause. Peoples opinions would be much appreciated :)

Pup is currently fed on Skinners Puppy mix, mince, scrambled egg and yoghurt.

Do I start new pup on BARF/Raw?
Do I stick with what I know?
Do I stay with teh Skinners? (Of course I will gradually change the pup if he is to be introduced to a diff food!)

Thanks in Advance :) x

Venevidivici

Visit site
Sorry,not a great food expert(& am interested in the replies from those that know more) but just had to post to say how gorgeous your boy was:) I love RR's-my sis has them. We lost our GSP to cancer about 3mths ago and I am still devastated &miss him very
much. Hope you get lots of love,fun and comfort with your new puppy:)

PolarSkye

Visit site
Can't comment on what you should feed your new pup but commiserations on your loss . . . what a beautiful dog he was and congrats on the new pup. I have a huge soft spot for ridgebacks . . . a dear friend of mine has had three and they have all been loyal, loving softies.

P

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Sorry for your loss x

My young dog was weaned onto raw and is flying. There is a good sticky at the top of the page which contains a lot of hints and tips.

Having said that, Skinners is a good midrange food.

smiffyimp

Visit site
Im sorry about Finn - how awful. My setter got meningitis at 2, thankfully she's now 7 and mad but we went to hell and back with her.

As for food, a lot off processed feeds contain crap! Royal Canin being one of them. Burns, James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange are all without additives,preservatives,colorants and are good feeds. I feed Wainrights which is also good. Anything made by Purina and Masterfoods is full of crap! (Masterfoods bought J.W and so far they are still crap free).
Ive never fed RAW myself but a lot of folks love it - there'll be many posts on here.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
So sorry to hear about the gorgeous Finn, I was a big fan of his.
I have used Skinners Field & Trial Duck & Rice for my adult GSDs, it has suited them really well, and it was all Evie had whilst in whelp and rearing her litter . The pup is on Fish4puppies, which is really good but pricey. I get it at breeder rate so am happy to keep Freya on it until she is 12 months old, otherwise I would probably change her to Skinners puppy and then gradually on to the Field & Trial.
Please can we see pictures of your pup :)

FreddiesGal

Visit site
WOW - what a beautiful boy.

RE feeding, rice and tripe is good. Or puppy biscuits with a little bit of chicken for protein :)

acw295

Visit site
What a beautiful dog :(

One of the liveries at our yard lost one of her RR's to cancer last week, very suddenly. She was saying that afterwards she found out that it is common in this breed? She is anxiously awaiting for more info from the vet as she has offspring and wants to know what the likelihood of inheritance is :(

Regardless it is still a tragic loss, for both of you x

lilyoftheincas

Visit site
Consolations on Finn, such a handsome boy. Mine died in October 2011 due to spleen cancer at exactly the same age as yours. It's horrible when they go young. Can't really be any help on the feeding I'm afraid, good luck with the new pup and hope to see lots of pictures!

liveryblues

Visit site
Firstly... what a very handsome boy Finn was... my heart goes out to you. I have 3 RR's. Losing them is beyond heartbreaking :(
Mu older boy was diagnosed with bone tumor nearly two years ago. We were heart broken and had to act quickly, PTS or amputate. We decided as a family we wernt ready to lose hime yet (even though the outlook was poor)
It was a wake up call, I had been feeding kibble but in the back of my mind wasnt really happy but it was easy. After much research following the tumor I decided to fight it on all fronts. I read alot on diets to help the immune system etc.
We had the opportunity to rehome a RR pup and I decided he would never eat kibble. I switched all my dogs and have never looked back.
It is a bit fiddly to begin with but once you get into the swing of it, its SO easy.
I cannot be sure kibble caused cancer but I cannot rule it out 100% either as the stuff they put in it is shocking (known carcinogenics)
I would NEVER feed kibble again, I have happy healthy dogs that are what they eat.
PS happy to report my older dog beat the odds (90% death rate post op within 6 months) He shows no signs of ill health and We are thankfull for every single day.
Definitley go RAW :)

liveryblues

Visit site
What a beautiful dog :(

One of the liveries at our yard lost one of her RR's to cancer last week, very suddenly. She was saying that afterwards she found out that it is common in this breed? She is anxiously awaiting for more info from the vet as she has offspring and wants to know what the likelihood of inheritance is :(

Regardless it is still a tragic loss, for both of you x

Ive had RR's for years and am not aware of any information that suggests they are more prone to cancer than any other breed of dog :)

KJJ

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your kind words... he was my big beautiful boy - he weighed in at 10.5 stone of softness!!

I've not heard of cancer being typical or a problem of the breed.. I don't think it is selective and it effect all breeds :( Agreed that some genetic's mean that it 'can' be breed into a line.

Thanks Liveryblues - I am so tempted with the raw diet and am considering the 'cheat' route with the premade, delivered to your door route! www.wolftucker.co.uk I just couldn't stand to think that what I put in contributed to Finns early death - however they say the best die young!

xx

liveryblues

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your kind words... he was my big beautiful boy - he weighed in at 10.5 stone of softness!!

I've not heard of cancer being typical or a problem of the breed.. I don't think it is selective and it effect all breeds :( Agreed that some genetic's mean that it 'can' be breed into a line.

Thanks Liveryblues - I am so tempted with the raw diet and am considering the 'cheat' route with the premade, delivered to your door route! www.wolftucker.co.uk I just couldn't stand to think that what I put in contributed to Finns early death - however they say the best die young!

xx

There are a few facebook pages for RR lovers... a lot of people on there feed raw... its whatever suits you. I dont think buying pre packed raw is cheating, its just convenient :)
Lots of people on there feed pre packed raw and highly rate it.

weevil

Visit site
Firstly - Finn was such a handsome boy and I'm so sorry he's gone. I'm not sure how much actual evidence there is that rice feeds cancer but I understand how you want to feed the new pup the best food you can.
Here is a website someone helpfully posted for me when I asked about dry food as Sprocket has to have grain-free diet.
http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/
Sprocket is on Acana now which seems to suit him, he did have skinners f&t for a while and, though he loved it, he started losing weight on it (he is such an active little dog it is very hard to stop him from getting too skinny)

So exciting about the new puppy - looking forward to seeing lots more photos of him:D

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
After much research following the tumor I decided to fight it on all fronts. I read alot on diets to help the immune system etc.

I cannot be sure kibble caused cancer but I cannot rule it out 100% either as the stuff they put in it is shocking (known carcinogenics)

Oh my God, are you me?! :eek: :D

I am so tempted with the raw diet and am considering the 'cheat' route with the premade, delivered to your door route! www.wolftucker.co.uk I just couldn't stand to think that what I put in contributed to Finns early death - however they say the best die young!

Do it! Pre made is not cheating and it will most likely be balanced so you don't have to think about it. :)

You cannot blame yourself: you clearly adored your boy and we are programmed to believe that good advertising=good product.

Will pm you some links. :)

Puppy pics please!

KJJ

Visit site
Thanks for your replies everyone.. I did indeed adore my boy, he was my life and I am so lost without him. :(

I will have a lookie at the links thanks again x

liveryblues

Visit site
Oh my God, are you me?! :eek: :D

Do it! Pre made is not cheating and it will most likely be balanced so you don't have to think about it. :)

You cannot blame yourself: you clearly adored your boy and we are programmed to believe that good advertising=good product.

Will pm you some links. :)

Puppy pics please!

Lol cinamontoast... The truth is out there :) Just a shame it takes such awful news to make you sit up and find out ;)

Enfys

Visit site
Oh, I am so awfully sorry to hear this, I do remember you and Finn very well, such a lovely boy and I felt that I almost knew him through your posts and photos, certainly in awe of his hugeness! :)
I got my GSD at about the same time as you had Finn and they were pup 'together' as it were.

Coincidentally one of our 2012 foals is called Finn.

No advice on the feed front as mine would eat muck from the pile if I let him, but I hope your new puppy will bring you joy and although never replace Finn will fill that hole he left behind. Is it another RR you are having?

xx

Last edited:

mattilda

Visit site
Oh no just realised it is you. So so sorry you lost your beautiful boy. We lost Matty dog just over 2 years ago. She had a tumour on her spleen which burst and she almost bled to death. She survived an op and lived cancer free for another 2 years. However, it returned and she had a 2nd op which she survived. Sadly a week later she collapsed and died from a suspected blood clot to her heart. I am in floods just typing this so know exactly how you feel. I miss her so badly every day.
Your new pup is gorgeous and will help heal your heart.

CAYLA

Visit site
Oh no.....I too just realised who you are and indeed remember the gorgeous and strapping Finn:( Im so sorry to hear that news:(
No food advice im not the best to advise on that but wanted to say im so sorry to hear that:(

KJJ

Visit site
Oh, I am so awfully sorry to hear this, I do remember you and Finn very well, such a lovely boy and I felt that I almost knew him through your posts and photos, certainly in awe of his hugeness! :)
I got my GSD at about the same time as you had Finn and they were pup 'together' as it were.

Coincidentally one of our 2012 foals is called Finn.

No advice on the feed front as mine would eat muck from the pile if I let him, but I hope your new puppy will bring you joy and although never replace Finn will fill that hole he left behind. Is it another RR you are having?

xx

Hey Enfys,

I remember you getting your GSD at approx the same time.

Yes Wicket (new pup) is a RR. He is Finn's 1/2 nephew.

Heart is broken for my boy though :(

Hope your well xxx

KJJ

Visit site
Oh no just realised it is you. So so sorry you lost your beautiful boy. We lost Matty dog just over 2 years ago. She had a tumour on her spleen which burst and she almost bled to death. She survived an op and lived cancer free for another 2 years. However, it returned and she had a 2nd op which she survived. Sadly a week later she collapsed and died from a suspected blood clot to her heart. I am in floods just typing this so know exactly how you feel. I miss her so badly every day.
Your new pup is gorgeous and will help heal your heart.

Hey Chick,

I am so sorry to hear about Matty.. what an awful experience for you and her :( *tears*

They take such a massive piece of our hearts.. whilst we always know they won't be here forever secretly I think we all hope they will be.

Did you get another pup?

Wicket (pup) will definatley help and havimg the link to Finn is lovely.

A piece of my heart has broken and gone to heaven with my hound :(

Hugs to you and I'm sure Finn & Matty are up there on their sofa clouds in teh sky just waiting to be re-united with us one day.

Xxxxx

KJJ

Visit site
Oh no.....I too just realised who you are and indeed remember the gorgeous and strapping Finn:( Im so sorry to hear that news:(
No food advice im not the best to advise on that but wanted to say im so sorry to hear that:(

Thanks Cala xx

mattilda

Visit site
No we are currently experiencing a huge ridgeback shaped hole in our lives. :(:(
We still have the 2 rotts and hubs says we cannot have 3 dogs anymore. I am, however, still working on that one! :D:D

Wicket is a great name and will make you smile with his antics I'm sure.