Candyfloss walks all over grass sickness

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Don't know how many people know about this but I haven't seen any mention of it so felt I should.

Brave Leanne and her grass sickness survivor mare Candy are doing a massive trek through Scotland and ending up at the Royal Dick Vet, which is the leading authority on EGS and taking part in the EGS survivors parade at the Royal Highland Show.

Having lost two horses to EGS including my horse of a lifetime, I am so proud of her doing this to raise awareness of the disease. Once you've experienced EGS your life is never the same again.

http://www.grasssickness.org.uk/news/

Also some likes on the FB page to show support would be great. FB Candyfloss experience

Last edited:

Tobiano

Visit site
Agree 100% with everything you say here FfionWinnie. Have been following Leanne and teams journey on FB and my word they have some guts - getting stuck in a river and having to be rescued by mountain rescue just for starters!

I never wanted to be part of the EGS club :( and my poor young horse definitely didn't. I hope others reading this never have the experience either but am sure Leanne would appreciate a few extra likes even if it is not a personal issue for you.

Well posted FW!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Don't know how many people know about this but I haven't seen any mention of it so felt I should.

Brave Leanne and her grass sickness survivor mare Candy are doing a massive trek through Scotland and ending up at the Royal Dick Vet, which is the leading authority on EGS and taking part in the EGS survivors parade at the Royal Highland Show.

Having lost two horses to EGS including my horse of a lifetime, I am so proud of her doing this to raise awareness of the disease. Once you've experienced EGS your life is never the same again.

http://www.grasssickness.org.uk/news/

Also some likes on the FB page to show support would be great. FB Candyfloss experience
Agree 100%

I followed very closely with my friends mare who she almost lost to EGS but she managed to nurse her through and she just had a foal. 2 years later

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Thanks for the replies ladies.

Please can we keep this on the first page for as long as possible.

If you don't know the pain of EGS you are lucky. My mare was so beautiful and was completely healthy at 4pm on the Sunday and dead by 7pm on the Monday. We also lost my daughter's first pony in a similar time frame. Both in the last 2 years.

Every day I cry about my mare who died in November last year and worry about my other horses.

We are about half way through a 2 year vaccine trial which could change the lives of people like me.

forever broke

Visit site
What they are doing is amazing. My lad had chronic GS 5 years ago - he survived but he'd never manage what Candy (and Leanne) are doing, it's affected his fitness and stamina ever since. You're so right when you say your life is never the same once you've experienced it, it's horrific

Ladyinred

Visit site
Will go and 'like' her page.

So far this is a subject I have no experience of and I pray it stays that way.

It used to be said that horses on ground that had been deeply dug, eg for pipelaying, were particularly at risk. Is there any truth to this or is it and old wive's tale?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Will go and 'like' her page.

So far this is a subject I have no experience of and I pray it stays that way.

It used to be said that horses on ground that had been deeply dug, eg for pipelaying, were particularly at risk. Is there any truth to this or is it and old wive's tale?

Thanks. Soil disturbance is thought to play a part but when Hallie died there was absolutely no soil disturbance.

horsebenny

Visit site
I lost my beautiful mare to EGS last October and I had a scare when my new boy had colic/virus at the weekend. The disease is so quick and devastating. I pray no-one reading this goes through it. I will never forget the sight of my poor girl going through it. I knew nothing about EGS before Sally got it. Please learn as much about it as you can and manage your horses accordingly.

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
I've shared the page a few times. Lost my beautiful boy to GS last year at the age of 4. He looked a little colicky lunctime on the Saturday, by 12pm Sunday he'd been pts.

LeneHorse

Visit site
They have had some fierce weather to contend with - May is usually a great month in Scotland but not this year. Wishing them well for the rest of the journey. Go girls!
Does anyone know which day they will be at the Highland show?