Canine Gold/Turmeric

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed improvements by feeding their dogs turmeric? I use a product called Canine Gold (same company who make Equine Gold) & realised, within a few weeks, there was a real difference in my oldest dogs (aged 7yrs) ... much more active & animated, going back to doing things i hadn't seen them do in a while. I don't think it was a placebo effect as i kinda forgot to pay attention to any differences - i just suddenly realised one day they were there. I've since suggested it to a few friends & they've seen big improvements too.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Not enough studies to have a truthful outcome, imo, but to get the best results, you're supposed to feed it with fresh piperine, so pre-packaged supplements are meant to be pointless.

One thing I will say is that my horse had a verrucous sarcoid. I applied turmeric powder in sudocrem religiously and the vet was amazed-it completely disappeared. I fed my dog with dysplasia the 'golden paste' and I think he was very much improved.

I don't see how you can see a placebo effect with an animal, he doesn't know he had 'medecine'!

eatmyshorts

Visit site
The maker of this brand disputes the feeding with pepper theory & uses coconut oil for absorption instead. Of course, I meant the placebo effect from my point of view ie. me seeing an improvement because I was expecting it, hence i wrote “I forgot ...”

What is in the Golden paste you feel helped your dog?

Re sarcoids, I had similar effects & amazement from the after puffing medicated talc on them.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Golden paste-turmeric, coconut oil, freshly ground black pepper.

On what basis does the manufacturer dispute the effect of piperine? Because theirs doesn't contain fresh?!

I do laugh at people thinking it's a silver bullet, I very nearly got into a row yesterday with someone who mentioned it on a springer group as possibly helpful with an epileptic dog. Everyone else was saying back to vet, increase dosage of meds. I'm sure turmeric is useful at times, but this woman counseling someone to use it on an epileptic dog made me very uncomfortable.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Yes, they say it is ineffective unless freshly ground & that they have found it can irritate the lining of the stomach and small intestine. They also say that research has shown oils work just as well for absorption without the need for pepper.

The stuff i use is basically the same as your golden paste,minus the pepper, plus linseed oil. Do you make it yourself or is it the brand? I've thought about making it up myself.

Agree totally re the epileptic dog .. perhaps in addition to a vet visit, on vet advice.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine were OK, horse took ages to accept it, he would just leave his entire feed, yet other horses were desperate to clean his trug!