Canine Joint Supplements

PFM22

Visit site
Can anyone recommend some non-prescrip joint supplements?
I have a 6yo boxer who was a rescue and had previously broken his pelvis in 5 places and dislocated his hip. I've had him since 11 mnths old and have always been careful not to over exercise etc (still gets 2 good off lead walks a day, on mixed terrain, just not too strenuous)!
He is lean and holds very little fat being well muscled (except some deterioration around near side back end due to previous injury).
In the last 12 months he has started to walk/trot short on his hind legs and when cold/wet gets really stiff. He has waterproof pyjamas permanently through the winter with a warm liner when necessary and also wear s the thin layer on cooler spring/summer days and he is on Cortavet HA AND Synoquin.
He is fed Nature Diet Senior Lite wet food which is higher in omega 3/6 and has added MSM with a handful of Arden Grange kibble biscuits. Also have recently started adding Devils Claw to his feeds as a natural anti-inflammatory/pain relief but nothing really seems to be showing any noticeable difference.
My vet has suggest joint injections similar to adequan - and a friend has suggested Metacam which is a prescrip medication. Vet said wants to try joint injections first.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?
Would like to keep things as natural as possible for as long as possible. He is energetic and bouncy and happy in himself so no worries of any 'suffering' as yet but he is clearly uncomfortable.

Thanks!

fruity

Visit site
Seraquin,you can get it from your vets,it's classed as a supplement so you can buy it over the counter. Carthrophen injections or similar works for some but not for others.

dalidaydream

Visit site
I've just started my 13 year old dalmatian on turmeric along with the Equimins Flexijoint she was already having. She's doing so well I'm hoping I'll be able to get her off the Previcox she was prescribed - like you I'd prefer to keep it natural if at all possible.

Also I've just changed vets and the new one is keener on giving them pain killers if and when they need them rather than NSAIDs which can have side effects. I'd already started her on the Previcox from my previous vet so we've kept her on them for the time being but I'm keen to get her off them asap.