Canine rather than equine (also in AAD)

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
anyone know where I can get an orthopaedic dog bed (large size) without it costing me nearly £60?!

I really think one would help beau but they are all extortionate!!!

Thanks for any help!
smile.gif

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
In what way are they orthopaedic hun? "Orthopaedic" products are often a bit like "equi-" products in that there's nothing special about them except the name, but the name allows them to double the price! Could you have a close look at one then get your OH to build something similar???

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
ahhh didnt think of argos.

Sorry BOF - apparently the more "orthopaedic" style beds are like memory foam beds for dogs.
Beau has hip dysplasia but it only effects him after getting up from lying down for a long time, so I need a bed that will give him sufficient comfot and support whilst he is down, but not be too deep to cause him to strain his joints trying to get out of it!!!
He is only 18mnths old too!
frown.gif

cptrayes

Visit site
Buy a human memory foam mattress and cut it up to the size you want and cover it - several beds for the price of one. A single 1inch mattress on eBay is only £20.

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
hmmm good call cptrayes........ would a topper not be easier to cut up though than an actual mattress?

Also will need to check if my mum is willing to do the sewing as my skills in this area (except for sewing in mane plaits) basically................. sucks!
grin.gif

cptrayes

Visit site
Sorry, I meant a topper of course ! No need for sewing, it's sticky. Buy an uncovered one and wrap it in a old towel or sheet. It will stick to it and you can take it off to wash it. I've got toppers, so I know it will work. There are two on eBay at the moment, not more than £25 includng post.

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
ok next question (i have seen the matressess and am keeping my eye on them)

alot of the dog beds are "crumbed memory foam" these are cheaper, but do they work as well?! As I dont see how crumbs can have a memory?!

cptrayes

Visit site
Ah well if you want crumbs you can buy pillows and split them open. I wouldn't use crumbs for what you want because they can develop "holey" spots if the dog wriggles around on the bed. They pack together densely too and don't give such "forgiving" support.

I think you will find either one or two thicknesses of 1 inch flat cheap memory foam will do the job you are looking for just beautifully. It's easy to cut, and you will get two huge double thickness beds - 18 inches by 36 inches out of one single mattress. I can hardly get our cats off the stuff, (it's also very warm) and it's MY bed
grin.gif

scotia2k7

www.palegallery.com
Hello! It might be worth your while contacting various "memory" type mattress companies & taking one of two stances - either be honest & explain, offer to advertise their product "when" it works for your dog on forums such as this (its not lying, Im sure if it worked youd be only too happy to let other dog owners know) or alternatively contact them blind saying you'd like a sample of their product which "doesnt need to be full size, even a small square would do"...or words to that effect...*grins*...

One of the best things I found for one of my older GSD (& worked for my folks pointers too) was very simple - a do it yourself "bean bag". Buy a cheap single duvet cover & put a layer of something like easibed inside it to around 3inch - then fold it over & button down. Easibed (or other stuff like it) doesnt shift around like foam fillers, or polyball things & retains heat well - a brill help to hips. A bale is around £9 & places like Ikea, or even tescos do single duvet covers for about the same. So £20 max - worth a try?

scotia

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
CPtrayes - thats what I thought!!! at least I am on the right lines!!!
Also, he prefers the donut shaped beds (rarely goes on the flat one I bought him) so I was thinking about how I cud make one of those, best I cud come up with is cut 2 circles, hole out of the middle of one, and cover somehow............. what you think?

Scotia - Sorry what is easibed? (
confused.gif
)
I hadnt thought about asking a company or matress firm....... I have seen one advertised that made them but they were very expensive again.

How long do your memory foam beds seem to last sorry?

cptrayes

Visit site
I've had one topper for four years and it's still like it was when I bought it. I think your idea of a doughnut will be easy. Cut three rectangles and then cut a big centre out of the second and a bigger centre out of the third. Cover with an old sheet or bath towel. It's surprisingly sticky stuff if you buy it uncovered, and any material you put on it, like a sheet, sticks to the surface.

Or if he already has a donut bed, you could just lay a sheet of the memory foam inside that one and put a cover over the top just to keep it clean and washable.

Lots of choices!