Canker experiences :(

S.AAnderson

Visit site
My OTT gelding has been diagnosed with Canker (one heel only so far) and we are looking into debridging at the local equine hospital very soon. Has anyone experienced Canker first hand? How did you treat and what was the recovery period like?

We are based in OZ and recently experienced severe flooding, I am sure the awful weather has played a part in this developing. Currently he lives out 24/7 and we do not have any stables on property :( initial research seems to indicate strict dry/clean conditions and lengthy box rest...so a potential move may be required too.

I have the vet out this afternoon but posting here in the hopes of good results? Feeling totally dispondent at the moment, my poor boy has been one walking vet bill since I got him last August :(

(have attached a photo taken yesterday when we found it)

Attachments

• canker.jpg
    canker.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 137

Baywonder

Visit site
I am so sorry - I can't offer any useful advice, as I have never experienced canker.

I do, however, hope your horse makes a full recovery very soon.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Doesn't look like the pics of canker I have seen and description is that it is a disease of the sole and frog.

What Is Canker in Horses?
Canker in horses is an infectious process that causes a chronic hypertrophy (i.e., enlargement or increase) of the horn-producing tissues of the equine hoof. The disease generally originates in the frog, but if left untreated, it can spread to the adjacent sole, bars, and hoof wall. It is seen commonly in draft breeds, but it can occur in any breed of horse. One or multiple feet can be affected at the same time, but it tends to affect the hindlimbs more frequently.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
That does not look like any kind of canker I have seen either. The ones I see have looked more like awful, stinky thrush.

I presume you are looking at the thing that looks like a pebble? I would imagine it could be a growth, that may need cutting out. I would do the move though as the foot looks dirty and you won't be able to get it clean in the current conditions to manage the injury after excision.

Wizpop

Visit site
Same as others have said. It doesn’t look like the Canker I saw or fit with any description I’ve seen- hopefully that’s good news for you and you get sorted- good luck!

Ossy2

Visit site
If it is canker it would seem to be in the early stages. Canker that’s progressed is quite frankly disgusting ?
How lame is he? If he does need canker treatment he would most definitely need his feet kept dry and clean, the long box rest is generally because so much hoof needs to cut away they need to stay dry and clean until it’s grown back.

Reactions: TPO

PapaverFollis

Visit site
That definitely looks like a keretoma to me. I had a horse with a frog keretoma and it looked just like that. It was deeper though, right in the bottom of the central sulcus, and bled when it was knocked. We decided not to treat as the horse was 25 and lame on all his other legs too basically so we didn't feel it was fair to put him through the treatment and box rest. But from what I recall it was an operation then a fairly long period of keeping it strictly clean and dry. That it very close to the surface though so it might not be so long with the box rest depending on how deep in it goes.

South Dakota

Visit site
My OTT gelding has been diagnosed with Canker (one heel only so far) and we are looking into debridging at the local equine hospital very soon. Has anyone experienced Canker first hand? How did you treat and what was the recovery period like?

We are based in OZ and recently experienced severe flooding, I am sure the awful weather has played a part in this developing. Currently he lives out 24/7 and we do not have any stables on property :( initial research seems to indicate strict dry/clean conditions and lengthy box rest...so a potential move may be required too.

I have the vet out this afternoon but posting here in the hopes of good results? Feeling totally dispondent at the moment, my poor boy has been one walking vet bill since I got him last August :(

(have attached a photo taken yesterday when we found it)

Did you ever find out what it was? As my horse seems to have the same lump. Vets don’t know.