Canker - help!

Visit site
My 18.1hh gorgeous ISH gelding has just been diagnosed with Canker, Absolutely gutted as he's been being treated for Thrush unsuccessfully and feel we have wasted time where time was really of the essence. Finally been correctly diagnosed by a new vet after he went lame and his frog started to bleed. He needs to have an operation to remove the infection.

This vet (Lingfield Equine Vet) are recommending he goes to Liphook for surgery. He isn't insured and from the research I've done its really important to get someone good to do the surgery to have the best possible outcome. I can't find any recommendations for anyone online who has a good track record with this disease and would just love to know if anyone knows who/if there is a top UK based person for canker?

Thank you so much.

little_critter

Visit site
I don't know if they are seen as experts but my local vets Bellevue Equine dealt with a case the other year so may have some expertise to pass on. Based in Somerset.

tashcat

Visit site
Don't know anything about canker or top professionals, but I live close to Liphook and would recommend them 100%. Good luck with your boy x

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don't think I would put any horse of mine through canker surgery and the follow up treatment required. - It seems to almost inevitably come back and the emotional turmoil for owners and discomfort for horses starts again.

However OP there is a really good uk canker group on FB that would be worth you reading and asking on there. It is a closed group so I am happy to ask for you if you cannot easily join (not sure how quick they are with new members)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1059527797468834/

ETA my bad I don't think they are a UK based group, for some reason I thought they were, might still know though.

Last edited:

hottoddy

Visit site
One of our Liveries has just been operated on at University of Liverpool hospital. Follow up treatment has been excellent and she looks to be making good progress

Visit site
Thanks so much for recommending the group. They've accepted my friend request and have found the information there really helpful. It seems like Liphook is the right place too. Thank you so much!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Good, there is another one on there but I'm not a member but have found the stories interesting if somewhat heartbreaking to follow from my hoof geek viewpoint.

Visit site
Thanks Ester. There are some hopeful stories on there too and lots living 'canker free' - I just hope we can be one of them. Wish us luck! xx