Cannot believe what I just saw on BBC1

JaneyP

Visit site
And i would just like to say what brave horses !! I know my horse would have been one million times worse than this. They do a great job, thats the horses, the trainers and the police officers.

I am just glad that non of the horses were injured and they looked to be able to carry on with the job in hand, especially as no one would know what else these MORONS would have been capable of.

jenniaddams

Visit site
I don't see the fuss either. I don't think contact was made, but even if it was, I think that in that situation it is perfectly reasonable. A horse panicking is a danger to anyone around it, so I think doing all possible to make it go forward into the empty space is better than it reversing into the officers behind.
Also, i seem to rememer watching a programme about the mounted police, in which the horses were being trained to go past explosive firecracker type things. They have a job to do and they must do it.
I feel sorry for the officer.

Brontie

Visit site
Thank you for posting this!
You can complain at https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/contact/general_enquiries/complaint_form.aspx

I have, that poor horse is doing its job as best it can. To beat i8t with a metal truncheon is unjust. I feel we should call for this officer to be retrained, a vet to asses this horse and the horse be retrained/rehabilitated.

You are joking? Seriously? It's not a metal truncheon ;) Retrained? Love to see you do better.
A vet? Yes, this horse was clearly injured afterwards and unable to return to patrolling ;)

Spudlet

Visit site
Where is it the newbies pop up from on certain threads??? :confused: Is there some sort of carrot stick hotline???? :rolleyes:

It's some kind of ESP.

Obviously, I could teach you how to do it, through my series of instructional DVDs (entitled 'Into The Light - a guide on how you can pop out of the woodwork at all the least opportune moments'), but only on receipt of the full retail price of £54,000. I take credit and debit cards, cheques, postal orders, cash, PayPal, and your immortal soul.

:p

Emily91

Visit site
Thank you for posting this!
You can complain at https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/contact/general_enquiries/complaint_form.aspx

I have, that poor horse is doing its job as best it can. To beat i8t with a metal truncheon is unjust. I feel we should call for this officer to be retrained, a vet to asses this horse and the horse be retrained/rehabilitated.

WTH????

I cant believe this!!! These people put their lives and their horses lives on the line to protect YOU! They have strong relationships with their horses! Alot stronger than any 'Proffesional' rider I have ever seen! I cant believe you would possibly jeopordise their career over something that is SO open to interpretation and with NO PROOF ( and indeed huge doubts ) about the events.

unbelievable!!

off to go grumble at how ungrateful and naive some people can be.

Whoopit

Visit site
Hmm, having looked at that twice I don't think he is "beating" the horse. Its hard to describe but those sticks they carry (don't know the correct name) are a bit like a magic wand, in sections and they have to be snapped to become one rigid baton, it looks to me as if he was just fixing the baton before he approached the crowd.

Just what I was going to say. It does look to me as if they were trying to get the baton to extend. And if they weren't, I'd hardly call it a "beating" - i've seen showjumpers and eventers smack a horse with a riding crop worse than that. But that horse doesn't look as though it's shying away from being smacked - any horse i've ridden, you smack it with a stick and they get a bit frisky about it.

spaniel

Visit site
OMG what a bunch of hysterical women there are on here. have any of you actually experienced the real world. The PC on that horse is highly experienced and if they felt the horse needed encouraging with a couple of slaps through the sheet (which are padded for those who dont know) it would have been for very good reason.

These horses get a better life than almost any horseowner on this site could give and they are trained to face up to the sort of shite these students faced them with. believe me they see loads more than this in training sessions.

As for making complaints to A+S I suggest you turn your attention to REAL animal abuse....maybe some of you students would like to justify actions such as throwing fireworks. Lets just say your right to subsidised education has gone down the pan as far as Im concerned.

Happy Hunter

Visit site
I usually leave these threads well alone - But forgoodness sakes!

Please pull this thread now! please!

Ridiculous.
Well done Officer - Well done Horse!

As for 'hearing' the beating, yes, because all noises in that clip are so clear and distinguishable!

As for Retraining the horse - Ill have him!!! :D

Because thats what we need our Police force doing, replying to hundreds of complaints about something which clearly isnt evidence worthy footage!!

Its the oik who threw the firework that needs the 'beating'

lexiedhb

Visit site
It's some kind of ESP.

Obviously, I could teach you how to do it, through my series of instructional DVDs (entitled 'Into The Light - a guide on how you can pop out of the woodwork at all the least opportune moments'), but only on receipt of the full retail price of £54,000. I take credit and debit cards, cheques, postal orders, cash, PayPal, and your immortal soul.

:p

Ahahahahahaha LMFAO
:D:D:D:D:D
Paypaling you my life savings as I type...... oh and the deeds to my house are in the post for good measure!

Littlepowderkeg

Visit site
Oh for goodness sake; so you report the officer for what exactly.... the horse clearly panicked and was (possibly although not clear) smacked, in order for the officer to gain its attention. So lets get it straight, if the horse bolted forward into the students and injured one of them (would serve them right!) the officer and the horse would be in serious trouble, the officer if he/she did smack the horse was imo trying to get the horses attention in order to make the situation safe.

It frightens me that there are people out there that appear to be frightened to use a stick if it is warrented. I am not advocating that we hit horses for sily little reasons or spooking as yes, that it counter productive. However, a frightened and out of control horse is a very dangerous horse.

I think that the officer concerned knows his/her horse better than anyone on here so don't think we are in any position to comment.

Lurky McLurker

Visit site
I watched the clip twice and to my eyes it looks like the officer isn't hitting the horse, because as the horse spins towards the camera on the final "whack" you can see the baton is coming down next to the horse's shoulder and doesn't seem to be impacting the horse - maybe the officer was waving the baton at the crowd to keep them away from the clearly frightened horse so no-one would get trampled?

I can't imagine that they would be smacking the horse because the baton-waving seems to occur after the fireworks have disappeared and the horse has stopped running backwards. I have to say, though, that I have delivered my horse a good whack (with a light stick, not a baton!) when he was running backwards in a dangerous situation. He was deliberately napping, not scared of anything, and we were backing rapidly into the path of a double-decker bus... in some situations, self-preservation has to take over! Two or three smacks with a heavy baton would probably be inappropriate, but I don't think anyone could say, hand-on-heart, that they would never act in a way they may later regret when they were trying to save themselves, their horse or bystanders from serious harm.

Spudlet

Visit site
Ahahahahahaha LMFAO
:D:D:D:D:D
Paypaling you my life savings as I type...... oh and the deeds to my house are in the post for good measure!

Oh excellent! I shall throw in a Huggly Horsemanship Patented Affiliated Anti-theft Device as well, to ensure that your horse will not sprout wings and fly away should the Plaiting Fairies strike!

wonkey_donkey

Visit site
(From personal experience) it looks to me that he is trying to flick out his baton for use and not hitting his horse but I could be wrong cos the camera is at a dodgy angle.

miss_c

Visit site
I'm one of those who doesn't see the problem to be honest. It appeared to me that the horse was backing towards the police officers on foot, so for safety reasons HAD to go forward. If my horse was backing towards people on foot, a car, etc, I would be giving her a crack or two on the ass for her own safety as well as that of others if she were not listening to my leg. The horse appeared to be the one nearest to the camera initially, and I thought overall dealt with the firework extremely well - I doubt either of mine would respond that well! (Yes, I know the horse has been trained to deal with such situations which mine have not)

The demonstrations in Bristol today caused absolute CHAOS, but without the work of the police it would have been an awful lot worse. As it was I almost missed playing for a pupil's music exam as you just couldn't get anywhere in the city.

lexiedhb

Visit site
Oh excellent! I shall throw in a Huggly Horsemanship Patented Affiliated Anti-theft Device as well, to ensure that your horse will not sprout wings and fly away should the Plaiting Fairies strike!

Why that is terrible generous of you! I bow to your learned teaching methods! :D

Sanolly

Visit site
I am slightly confused, Ethical Trainer the first youtube link you posted was a campaign to stop all horse sports, however this clashes somewhat with your screen name?
As for the horse, I think it was hit/smacked, however I wouldn't say it was beaten, it didn't even react so it couldn't have been hit that hard.

Fahrenheit

www.ipcmedia.com
I'm not going to get involved in the rights and wrongs but I just wanted to say having been lucky enough to go to Imber Court and see police horses in training, that he wasn't reprimanding the horse for shying away from the fireworks but trying to send him forward again to get him in line with the other police horses, keeping the police horse line in front of the foot officer line, as the police moved forward to contain the crowd.

ethicaltrainer

New User
Visit site
I agree with the majority of what you say. I feel we have this right to free speech, to air our grievances and not fear the wrath of others.
As for focus on real animal abuse, this is my work, world wide and i am no novice at picking up bits of animal carcase left behind in situation far worst than we just seen, this does not make the highly trained horse we have just seen hit feel better. Each and everything has to deal with its our trauma as and when it happens!

JaneyP

Visit site
This might help ? ? You wouldn't even need a stick !

GiantCarrot.jpg

nativetyponies

Visit site