Cannot believe what I just saw on BBC1

lastphoenix

Visit site
I haven't read all the posts but as a police officer when I watched the footage it is obvious to me that the rider is racking his baton open which you do by flicking it open with some form. It never even crossed my mind that he looked like he was hitting the horse, that is the standard action to open your baton.

I'm glad to hear that, i should not have jumped to conclusions, but it did look like the horse was being hit. I am glad i may have been proved wrong.

Mike007

Visit site
I didn't think it was that bad, but I would have been quite happy for him to hit the t***s round the arse with his baton for throwing the fireworks at the horses :mad::mad:

totaly agree with you Pedantic. The trouble with mounted police is that they cant just hit the T***s around the arse, its arms head and sholders or ride over them(or ride over others to get the one they want) The horses should not have been there,they served no useful purpose.

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
We are not talking about a jumping crop here... you would get a reaction from that, and I didn't see that in that horse!

Yup, if you cracked a horse on the arse with that, in the way he was waving it, even the nicest creature would catapult you into next week! Either that, or go hopping lame from having the top of it's pelvis shattered!

AFlapjack

Visit site
I've watched this numerous times now and it certainly doesn't look like the officer even makes contact with the horse!! :rolleyes:

If he had hit him, surely the horse would have reacted???? The horse doesn't react at all which makes me believe the officer was either lengthening the device (sorry don't know what its called) or was telling the police on foot to move forward.

JenniferS

Visit site
I haven't read all the posts but as a police officer when I watched the footage it is obvious to me that the rider is racking his baton open which you do by flicking it open with some form. It never even crossed my mind that he looked like he was hitting the horse, that is the standard action to open your baton.

I agree :)

sunshine19

Visit site

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies, but having watched the clip and also having handled one of these asps, they need to be flicked really hard to open. I don't think he hits the horse, I think he is trying to get the asp to open.

Mike007

Visit site
So who ordered him to draw his batton because the only other target would be the crowd! You will see that none of the other officers have drawn theirs. I would rather believe that he drew it to give the horse a possibly deserved slap or two ,than that it was to ride into the crowd and crack heads!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
For those of you who feel its OK to beat, thwack or smack. Here are the facts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMfcc0hzGMU&feature=share

That video is absurd in so many ways. WHERE are the facts precisely? You know, the ones, as Lexiedhb says that are published and peer reviewed? Also, why is it necessary to dress someone up in (show) riding gear and a hard hat to conduct an experiment on a bit on a fake horse in a lab? Is this to persuade us that he is a rider? Why doesn't he hold the reins correctly then? Surely the reins should be held in the usual manner so that the simulation is truly accurate? What is the horse head made of? Styrofoam? The jaw apparently has a joint in the chin groove. Why, despite all the fancy video simulation do the scientists not simulate the correct jaw anatomy when applying force on the bit? Why are they not using a skull? Too tough? What degree of force is used? What is the 'tongue' made of? And as for the whipping; the 'scientist' is immobile using downward force in FRONT of him. How is that representative of how a rider hits a horse? What exactly are the photos of? Where did they come from? Did they actually come from the racehorses onto which the images were so dramatically superimposed?
Even the images of riders are only those that support the 'facts'. How convenient.
Load of rubbish.

spaniel

Visit site
So who ordered him to draw his batton because the only other target would be the crowd! You will see that none of the other officers have drawn theirs. I would rather believe that he drew it to give the horse a possibly deserved slap or two ,than that it was to ride into the crowd and crack heads!

Absolutely. It was drawn to encourage the horse back up into the line. If we were on a horse going backwards towards a hazard Im sure most of us would employ a sharp smack too.

Unless of course we are Ethical Trainer in which case we would all dismount and spend a few moments making daisy chains for each other.

Pedantic

Visit site
My personal summary:

1)The students are a pack of prats for throwing the fireworks at the horses.
2) If the officer hit the horse, it was the correct response under the circumstances and in no way excessive.
3) I wanna borrow the stick to go and beat up the students who threw the firework...I promise to be excessive :D

I will help :D

milesjess

Visit site
I've watched this numerous times now and it certainly doesn't look like the officer even makes contact with the horse!! :rolleyes:

^^ Agree with the above post. The video is too far of a distance away and you cannot clearly see if he strikes the horse or not, so you cannot judge the situation properly. It looks like the Officer draws his baton and and racks it to extend it. These horses are highly cared for and the Officers are trained to a very high standard therefore I doubt very much that he was 'beating' the horse.

That's my opinion on the video anyway :rolleyes:

Last edited:

htobago

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies, but having watched the clip and also having handled one of these asps, they need to be flicked really hard to open. I don't think he hits the horse, I think he is trying to get the asp to open.

That's what it looked like to me as well. I think perhaps some people here are rushing to judgement without knowing the facts.