Can't believe I froze!

Gail1970

Visit site
I went for a lovely ride a couple of weeks ago and my horse tripped and fell,neither of us were hurt but when I asked my horse for a canter today I just froze and couldn't do it!
Anyone help with any advise please,I love him and trust him and he was such a gent and totally knew I panicked!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
It could happen to anyone, my horse trips and has gone all the way over a number of times, you do have to get back
In to it slowly. It is just you being sensible really. You will get over it, just like I have, it will just take time.
Just remember to sit up!! :)

ZondaR

Visit site
A few years ago I fell off my horse when we were xc. The next time I went xc with him, like you, I froze and panicked a bit and went back to the arena and jumped a x pole. I was very upset with myself. The next week, I made myself go into the fields with my friend and forced myself to jump a tiny log. I knew the confidence was there but it was well hidden. I was really nervous jumping something I would not have even bothered with before. But that did it. The next week I went out and I was fine.

I would suggest you go into an area you feel safe in (in my case that is an arena) and make yourself do just a few strides. Start small.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
As all the others have said, just give yourself time and set yourself small goals. Confidence can take many months to build up but can be lost in seconds. Something that I have found helps is to ride another horse that you know is safe if you have one available to you or even go to a local RS for a lesson or two. Remember you are not alone. I bet there is barely a person on here who hasn't had a confidence wobble at some point or other and many of us have them quite regularly. Good luck. :) x

Gail1970

Visit site
Thankyou!
Sammy is such a lovely horse and a pleasure to own.
Gonna give him a few lessons in picking his feet up,I swear he could trip over his own shadow!!..lol

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
Tripping can be such a shock. Usually I can feel a spook coming, even if it's only a split second when the whole horse grows to about 18hh underneath me! But because trips take the horse by surprise as well there's just no chance to prepare yourself at all. As everyone else says, take it slow and build your confidence back up, and try your first canter in a nice enclosed space where you feel safe. I'm sure once you've done it you'll be back cantering in no time. And don't forget to BREATHE!

tankgirl1

Visit site
Our boy is prone to stumbling and tripping, had the farrier out to assess him , put road nails in etc. A few months ago, mid winter, totally out of character for him, he planted, napped, and then his whole body tensed up, never experienced that before, it was terrifying! He bronked a couple of times too, again totally out of character! After this I was scared to get on him for weeks, but slowly slowly catchy monkey - we had our first gallop together 2 weeks ago and it was ace! Time and slowly slowly is what we did, and it worked, we also picked our hacking partners with care!

Mike007

Visit site
Try to remember that this would also have been a shock to your horse. Both of you need to recover your confidence. Is there any reason why he should have fallen? horses trip all the time but falling is extremely rare. This needs some carefull thought and possibly a check out by the vet.(I wouldnt hesitate in this situation) .

tankgirl1

Visit site
Try to remember that this would also have been a shock to your horse. Both of you need to recover your confidence. Is there any reason why he should have fallen? horses trip all the time but falling is extremely rare. This needs some carefull thought and possibly a check out by the vet.(I wouldnt hesitate in this situation) .

I agree, if he actually fell over, then get the vet/farrier out

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Don't panic. My pony stumbled a couple of weeks ago at canter and I fell off him for the first time in 15years! I have to say I was a bit apprehensive about having a canter the nest time I rode. I just put on a big pair of pants and did it. I am going to be more cautious now though. Give yourself time and don't rush things.

STRIKER

Visit site
Why did he trip are his front toes a bit long, my cob and i nearly went head over heels, clever farrier was trying to grow his feet to a bigger size shoe, how ridiculous can you get, so i got them removed and he is back to barefoot and i trim myself nice and short and tight and balanced, as far as cantering just do it in your own time, even if you just break into a canter then bring back to a trot you will feel you want to carry on after awhile

Gail1970

Visit site
Well we went for a lovely relaxing ride on the common again today and rode quietly along the track that we fell on(something I felt we needed to do)
We came across a lovely sand track and had a trot but he went into a canter and I trusted him to look after me and he did,was totally buzzing!