Can't believe I'm asking this - mares with dirty boobs?

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Does anybody else's mare get get, for want of a more polite term, dirty nipples?
blush.gif

B has a very deep sort of hollow between her boobs and it seems to collect grease and dirt which is black and sticky then crumbly as it dries out. When the grease accumulates it is very itchy - she adores me using a baby wipe to clean it out, which I do every few days to try and avoid it building up.

I'm puzzled as she is groomed very frequently and very thoroughly - I'm known as a bit of a clean freak when it comes to grooming - and I have no idea where the grease comes from.
crazy.gif

She has quite a lot of deep, convoluted skin folds around her vulva too which I have to keep clean - TMI, I'm sure.
blush.gif
Does she just have weird skin or do other mares have this as well?

I knew there was a reason I wanted a gelding...
tongue.gif

TelH

Visit site
My old mare used to get it, mainly only in summer when it was warm, it didn't itch her but I used to clean it frequently just to keep flies away. I would rather do that than clean a gelding's bits any day
smile.gif

mahorse

Visit site
My mare gets this too!!! In the summer I was cleaning everyday with hibiscrub and then putting some sudocream in between her nipples in the hope the build up would stop. It didn't! Hope you don't think I'm being rude but does she have big boobs
blush.gif
mine are quite large due to her having at least one foal before my time....
I haven't really cleaned between since it is winter and felt guilty to begin with but it doesn't seem to bother her. There is sometimes a big flake of grease that I gently pull out every now and again.
So not a silly question at all!

Gingerwitch

Visit site
No - mine is the same - i just dont worry about it - and use the sensative baby wipes to do her bits nd her boobs - sometimes she objects a little to her boobs being done - as i assume they are a bit more sensative than usual.

I am also very careful to wipe her "bits" Up rather than down - dont know if horses can get infections the same as humans - but i dont fancy finding out.

I perfer girls to boys - i hate messing with the man bits - but to be trueful i cant say either is a delight.

JJtheJetPlane

Visit site
My old mare gets it all yr round, She did get worse after having a foal. She insists on me scratching her there every time i groom her. I dont worry about it. I presume is just a build up of sweat and other stuff. Nothing to worry about!

d_s

Visit site
dont worry about it

my pony has had mastitus (sp??) so i only clean hers once a week... one of hers is really big compared to the other one, the other one is normal size

but its fine, its just a lot bigger
i keep everything clean and then kind of milk the bigger one to make sure its not blocked up

she lactates all the time lol

x

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
PF gets muck in between her boobies, but she's not ecstatic when I clean it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, but B really enjoys it - she straddles out with her back legs, curls her lip up and generally looks totally blissed out.
blush.gif

To whoever suggested baby oil, I did put a spray or two up there today in the hope that it might keep the skin moist and stop stuff building up there. I just thought it was weird that the hollow was so deep, I can fit my fist in there!
crazy.gif

Dottie

Visit site
Both mine get dirty boobies too! And they absolutely adore me cleaning them and pull all sorts of faces! Although i do wonder what the people in the houses across the road think when i'm doing it!
blush.gif
blush.gif

Irishcobs

Visit site
Hattie gets this and she loves me peeling the dry skin and yuck off. Infact all of the mares I have owned and worked with get this.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Both mine get dirty boobies too! And they absolutely adore me cleaning them and pull all sorts of faces! Although i do wonder what the people in the houses across the road think when i'm doing it!
blush.gif
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I must admit I keep looking over my shoulder as I'm doing it, if anyone ever catches me it'll look really dodgy.
blush.gif
Wouldn't be so bad if she weren't grunting and obviously enjoying it, lol!

Serenity087

Now would I be a Kentish lass, or a lass of Kent?
Visit site
Carrie used to get gunk everywhere, poor old girl. Come summer her nipples would be very gunky, the flies would sit on them and then she'd start dripping (white substance, not sure if it was milk?)

She absolutely hated them being cleaned. It was a hard hat and hose pipe job for a fair while!! But once she realised how much better it felt I was able to attack her properly.

Dor is much happier, but her tiny AA's don't have any problems. She gets a gunky lady part, but absolutely loves having that cleaned
blush.gif
blush.gif
(I hate how awful an owner that makes me sound!)

I'll probably get a hoof to the head when she gets proper boobies though
frown.gif

For the record - Embarassing as it is, and awful people as it makes us sound, I do think not enough attention is paid to cleaning horses genitals. Carrie's boobies were shocking when I got her, and had obviously been ignored for some time!
Having seen the state she was in with flies, I'd hate to wish it on another horse!

Oh, and interesting that someone always wipes up - I'd have thought because the anus is above the vulva that they're designed to combat infection better than us. Just a thought though.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

For the record - Embarassing as it is, and awful people as it makes us sound, I do think not enough attention is paid to cleaning horses genitals. Carrie's boobies were shocking when I got her, and had obviously been ignored for some time!
Having seen the state she was in with flies, I'd hate to wish it on another horse!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree - my mother, who shares B, refuses to wipe her boobies and only sponges out her dock with water. If she has sole care of her for a couple of days or more I can really tell the difference, her bits are quite crusty and she might even start scratching her tail on the fence.

Saying that her fieldmate's owner never, ever cleans her horse's wotsits and she doesn't seem to have any problems, although surreptitious glances (god I sound like a pervert
blush.gif
) make me think that her mare doesn't have nearly so fold-y skin in her nether regions as mine does.

I take it back, I'd rather smear a bit of baby oil on some boobies than try to clean a gelding's sheath.
blush.gif

legaldancer

Visit site
I used to have a mare who got quite chafed (sp) in between her udder.

The vet gave me some runny lanolin cream (think it was for cows) & I wiped her daily with that. It really helped clear it up as it looked quite sore. When it ran out I bought a tube of thicker lanolin cream from the chemist - not sure if you can still get it. I suppose it was a little like an unscented handcream.

PurplePickle

www.ipcmedia.com
Mine does a little, but she is a cow and wont let me touch it, so it gets cleaned as and when, I have a smelly boy as well so used to cleaning bits that get you funny looks lol

Snugglebum

Visit site
My pony loves her boobys cleaning , I think they itch her as she stands with neck stretched out lip twirling and on 3 legs so i can get to them better.I tend to clean them with baby wipes and in summer to protect them from fly bites etc as she seems to have bloody splotches all over them in summer I put on some Udder cream just to keep them moisturised and to keep the flys off them.

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
My mare didn't used to mind me cleaning her udders but i think i tickled her once when doing it and now she won't let me near. It is the only thing i can't do to her. I only really do it if she is sedated for any reason or squirt it with the hose in the summer. It bothers me that i can't clean her but there's not a lot i can do about it. i might try squirting in there with baby oil and see if it falls out. hadn't thought of doing that.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
my girl gets dirty bits too and seems to enjoy me picking the stuff off, i like to clean it out at least once a week in the winter and it gets a sponging off daily in the summer
grin.gif

Persephone

Visit site
My girl 'assumes the position' too.

It must be bliss to have them nice and clean I think. Yesterday I had a feel and they had got all muddy, must be horrid.

I have some udder cream, I think it's gold label. It's not like the cow stuff you use for mud fever, this is almost like a pink mousse type of stuff. Anyway I warm that up in my hand and massage in. I don't think it really keeps the udder any cleaner, but she is certainly err....appreciative.

The rest of the time I use a baby wipe as others have said.

At my last yard a woman asked me what I was doing as I was cleaning my last mare's udder, I told her and she was mortified because she had a mare and didn't even know that their udders got a bit claggy. I think there are a good few owners like that!