Can't believe some people's ideas..

HayleyDL

Visit site
I was up the yard late. He's at a riding school so when I'm up late I'm alone. The yard is obviously locked up by 2 gates. One just a bar, the second a five bar gate.

While I was up there tonight someone decided to let themselves in by climbing under/over the first gate and shout at me to ask questions about the school. I explained that I was just a livery, if they wanted to know about the school they'd have to either call or come back during their opening hours.

She then went on to ask if there were any for sale as she was looking for one for her almost 5 year old daughter. I explained that there was one, a 13.3 pony but that would probably be too big for a 5 year old to which she promptly told me that it would be fine as she wanted one she could share with her.

I asked how much experience she had she told me very little. She had ridden once or twice and that was it, her daughter hadn't ridden at all. I then told her that in that case the best way forward would be to get a few lessons, get some experience under her belt not just in riding but in how to care for a horse and that if I was being honest with her, even though you can buy horses suitable for novices I would strongly suggest that she gets lessons and some experienced help too.

She honestly seemed surprised by this. I know what people do with their animals is up to them but why is it some people seem to think they can buy a horse with no knowledge, no experience and not bother with lessons and/or experienced help around them?

Shantara

Visit site
Goodness! People are scary!!
I don't know if you saw my thread about taking a 2yr old shetland to Macdonalds (not the best idea, but it's amazing bombproofing) and someone tried to actually place their child on the ponies back :O even after the owner had said no!!

Spotsrock

Visit site
Nah we had similar. Sister on 4 yo newly backed tb on one of it's 1st hacks. Bloke comes asks if 2 ish yo kid can stroke horse. Next thing he's put kid on withers and backed off 10 feet to take pictures. Sister and horse a bit surprised!

Op this is sadly quite common. Keeping a horse badly is cheaper than regular lessons. We have one at our place. Horse gets blamed every time they get it wrong and it's most honest horse, possibly in the world. Very sad. friend had to explain to them this week that my horses have fly rugs on and that's different to their horse being out in this heat (26+) in a new zealand rug. :-(

Shantara

Visit site
Nah we had similar. Sister on 4 yo newly backed tb on one of it's 1st hacks. Bloke comes asks if 2 ish yo kid can stroke horse. Next thing he's put kid on withers and backed off 10 feet to take pictures. Sister and horse a bit surprised! (

Yikes!!! Scary D:
Someone once let her children run in and out of the horses legs and under his belly :O
Thankfully the horse was fantastic, but it might have ended so badly!
Some people just have no clue how dangerous horses are.

donkeyindisguise

Visit site
We almost had that at our RS once, I had a parent enquire about lessons for her daughter, only for me to have to turn her away as she was only 5 and we don't take kids under 6.
Mothers response to this was 'oh don't worry darling, we will buy you one instead then' I was too shocked for words tbh.
Luckily in this case she didn't go get one :p a year on, daughter recently started riding, and spent most of her first lesson in tears bless her!

Tnavas

Visit site
This is quite a problem in NZ where grazing is reasonably easy to find - you get people with no knowledge buy a standardbred of the track - they are usually very laid back, they have no idea how to ride it or care for it so they end up with problems.

I also have to deal with well meaning parents who buy a pony for the kids and turn up at pony club with ill fitting tack and a child that has learnt to ride without proper help crashing and banging around on the ponys back pulling it mouth around - bit usually too big.

When I first came to NZ 25yrs ago there were very few riding schools. Fortunately these are on the increase as more people move out onto lifestyle blocks.

RainbowDash

Visit site
Unfortunately this is very common. My boy is based at a riding school (livery not riding school pony). I often speak to the mums and dads of the kids having lessons.

One couple brought their daughter a pony to ride and having found that she couldn't decided to give her lessons - and these were horsey people apparently...

:confused::confused::confused:

Patterdale

Visit site
TBH the first thing I though when i read that was that she was a 'spotter' for thieves.

Don't want to worry you and I may be wrong, but when a stranger turns up late, asking questions about the yard and the horses on it, I'd be very suspicious.

Ashleigh_

Visit site
TBH the first thing I though when i read that was that she was a 'spotter' for thieves.

Don't want to worry you and I may be wrong, but when a stranger turns up late, asking questions about the yard and the horses on it, I'd be very suspicious.

^^^ This

zaminda

Visit site
Some friends of mine bought a pony for their kids as at 2 and 3 they couldn't find a riding school who would teach them. They proceeded to rad everything, and are now very capable horse owners,I think they now have 5!
Its funny how some people go into it, and think they don't need to learn, and others read everything, and become capable.

mcnaughty

Visit site
OK - if you are going to buy a horse and keep it on your own land with little or no knowledge then fair enough. But, to buy a pony for your daughter and then keep it at livery (even DIY) I personally don't see a problem. We all have to learn somewhere and I can assure you that way back when I learnt to ride, you just got on and rode! You went to PC rallies and they taught you the finer details or you copied the likes of Harvey Smith! You learnt from falling off and those around you helped with stable management. All the information on how to care for a horse is also cunningly hidden in books ..... ;-)

As for turning up late at the stables - its bloody hot out there during the day - perhaps a late evening walk in the cool of the day was a good idea!

HayleyDL

Visit site
Mcnaughty - cant quote as I'm on my phone but I would agree if the yard wasn't so impossibly out the way for a walk. The hills and foot paths actually go the opposite way.

Thanks for the replies the rest of you. Will reply properly when I'm home and have access to a computer!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
It is truly scary the lack of comprehension 'novice' and 'ab initio' owners have regarding how titsup it can all so easily go. What's more, they have little regard for the future of the 'ruined/lame creature' which too often results from this totally half-baked approach.

HayleyDL

Visit site
Goodness! People are scary!!
I don't know if you saw my thread about taking a 2yr old shetland to Macdonalds (not the best idea, but it's amazing bombproofing) and someone tried to actually place their child on the ponies back :O even after the owner had said no!!

I did see that! Somehow though, that doesn't even surprise me.

Its funny how some people go into it, and think they don't need to learn, and others read everything, and become capable.

This! I have no problem with people getting horses even when they don't know anything IF they're willing to learn and get experienced help. My issue here was that she didn't.

That's actually the first thing that entered my mind too if I'm honest but then decided I was being paranoid. However, spoke to the YO today and apparently it's not the first time people have been seen around at night so a little more worried now. Will definitely be keeping an eye out! The yard is pretty secure but nothings guaranteed.