Can't deal with this

Dancing_Diva

Visit site
I think I posted about my Falabella passing away from sub-acute grass sickness.

Two days later one of my rescue mares was digniased with chronic grass sickness. I'm about seven weeks in and we was doing so well. Two days ago she went rather quiet and has lost the bright look she usually has in her eye. Yesterday she had a major coughing fit and scared me. Today she choked on nothing.

She's very quiet and dull looking tonight, her heart rates 36bpm so has gone down from 44bpm that it was last Wednesday. She's looking a little thin again, I'm pretending I'm strong and fine but writing this I'm actually getting teary.

I can't deal with loosing a second. I secretly had got my hopes up that she was improving (I'd been telling people I'd not got my hopes up and I'd been telling myself she's going to die as not to be as hurt) I've had this mare nearly four months and she's such a sweetie, I can't loose her I'd planned to keep her.

Someone please tell me she's going to be ok?

Lintel

Visit site
I'm afraid nobody can, keep thinking positive thought but be prepared for the worst.
So sorry about your situation, all the best xx

chillipup

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear this DD, I'd love to be able to guarantee your little girl is going to be OK but sadly I can't, I only wish I could. I'm sending hugs to you both and wishing that she comes good soon.

Ceriann

Visit site
So very sorry - what a terrible set of events. Stay strong, whilst no one can tell you your mare will be ok, please don't lose hope. Big hugs.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I wish I could promise you that she will be ok, but only time will tell. How horrible for you to have had two cases. I don't have experience of grass sickness, but I do know what it's like waiting to find out if your horse is going to survive or not.

I can offer HHO vibes and/or hugs, and my very best wishes for a positive outcome.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I think I posted about my Falabella passing away from sub-acute grass sickness.

Two days later one of my rescue mares was digniased with chronic grass sickness. I'm about seven weeks in and we was doing so well. Two days ago she went rather quiet and has lost the bright look she usually has in her eye. Yesterday she had a major coughing fit and scared me. Today she choked on nothing.

She's very quiet and dull looking tonight, her heart rates 36bpm so has gone down from 44bpm that it was last Wednesday. She's looking a little thin again, I'm pretending I'm strong and fine but writing this I'm actually getting teary.

I can't deal with loosing a second. I secretly had got my hopes up that she was improving (I'd been telling people I'd not got my hopes up and I'd been telling myself she's going to die as not to be as hurt) I've had this mare nearly four months and she's such a sweetie, I can't loose her I'd planned to keep her.

Someone please tell me she's going to be ok?

Poor hunny

My friend bought one back from the brink, she stayed with her 24 hrs a day and sat in her stable for hours, she got her to eat fast fiber as it was the ONLY think she found she would eat after trying numerous feeds.

Fingers crossed for your wee girl

Dancing_Diva

Visit site
I've been through the sitting with her 24/7 just to make sure she eats, she went through a patch of only eating if I sat with her for two weeks.

I have a feed room full of like 7 different feeds for her, I've had to cut a lot of feeds out due to a recent spell of severe itching to rule out a reaction to any feeds she's had. She's been on box rest since last Wednesday, thought that might be why she's looking dull. After a full days turnout today there's no chance, she has no "spark" to her 😞

planete

Visit site
I am so sorry to read this. Can your pony drink? I kept mine going by soaking nuts so that it was a gruel and added oil and molasses and offered this every few hours. The vet also gave mine steroid injections for a while to try and give him a boost. Everything crossed your poney makes it. xx

Tobiano

Visit site
Oh DD, this is just agonizing. I lost my youngster to acute grass sickness last year and I am hoping for a miracle for you. xxx

pennyturner

Visit site
Can't imagine what you're going through. I'm sure she couldn't have any better care, and if anything will bring about a miracle, it will be that.

FFAQ

Visit site
So sorry to read this thread. I lost my first horse to acute grass sickness after only 2 months of having him. I am keeping everything crossed for you and your pony. Hang in there xx

catembi

Visit site
So sorry for you. No experience of grass sickness but sadly plenty of experience with another roller coaster disease. Everything crossed for you.

T x

Dancing_Diva

Visit site
Thank you all x

Just came home from my vets, picked her up more bute and spoken to another vet as my one wasn't about and can't get her on the phone. She's had a full day of turnout today, still rather dull looking. Respiration rate is 38 BPM so high, and her heart rate is 26 BPM which is quiet low for her! She's almost stopped drinking, but is eating and pooing as normal so that's one positive sign I guess.

Am still just monitoring her at this moment in time. Updating vet on Friday.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Will she eat/drink sloppy sugar beet, for water?

A thought about itching. I occasionally take anti histamines and one thing I've noticed is they control itching well, not just itchy eyes/nose hayfever type itching, but any itching regardless of cause eg eczema/thrush/athletes foot (not all at once hopefully, I'm not as much of a diseased thing as I've made myself sound :biggrin3: ). So could you feed her whatever she'll eat and control any allergic type itching with antihistamines? Wishing you all the best with her.

skint1

Visit site
Dancing Diva, I can only imagine how you're feeling, sending all the best thoughts for you and your girl x

RosieJM

Visit site
I lost a pony to GS several years ago, the following year my best friends horse got chronic GS and I thought she was going to loose him too - but she nursed him through it, it took months, and at points he could only eat liquidised food which she syringed into his mouth, and he lost the ability to manage his temperature so he needed billions of rug changes to stop him sweating or shivering, there were touch and go points and he lost a lot of weight, but gradually improved and regained his ability to swallow and digest, and recovered to leave a happy and full life, he is still here now aged 25! Just thought you might like to hear a positive story in your situation, I hope you have some good support round you it sounds very tough x