Can't pick up youngsters feet

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I like the idea of a stuffed glove on the end of a PVC pipe.

To the hard hat, I'd add steel toe-cap boots.

^^^^ This. I've seen it used with Parelli, which I instinctively dislike, but having said that don't throw the baby out with the bathwater as it might be one way of getting your pony used to someone touching her legs and feet.

I bought a little 4yo mare last summer: she'd been barefoot, and when we tried to get shoes on we discovered that my nice sweet little girly had an opinion on that!! She was a little cow basically; but luckily the farrier I used was very patient and we did manage to get there. Interestingly, she was more of a madam to get her FRONT shoes on than her hinds!

OP is yours a cob by any chance? And a traditional/gypsy cob at that? I ask this because quite often these little horses have been, shall we say, raised in a fairly "rough" environment (not helpful), where they've been treated a bit roughly, and remember it.

You WILL get there; its just a matter of slowly slowly, and doing what you can and not what you can't (or she isn't happy with). Yes you could sedate her, and may have to if there is an issue with her feet.

The other issue is, there may be a reason she's uncomfy about her feet being handled: my little coblet mare had feather-mite when I had her (lots of these cobs do), and that wasn't helping at all coz she was obviously uncomfortable around her feet. So you may have to get the vet out, sedate her, and get him/her to take some skin samples/clippings to see what is happening, and then sort that out first and foremost, as this might well be a lot of the problem.

It seems OP like you're doing all you can, for now, which is to take things slowly and not rush her. It might help to have a professional come along to work with you and her, because at an early stage it is sooooh damnably easy to have a problem which will only resurrect itself in the future if not handled right. You need someone of the right calibre, I'd suggest an IH affiliate or person of this ilk who could help you and work with you both - it would also help to have someone different around her as this will happen with the farrier.

Like hacking solo: be confident that you WILL get there. It will need a lot of time, commitment, and effort, but I'm pleased to say that my little girl is getting a lot better with the farrier each time round, tho' we do have a little chuck of the toys out the pram just occasionally!!

Good luck! Once a horse has given over custody of its feet, you'll know that they REALLY trust you and the rest will be easy!

What I found helpful with mine, was to do work on the ground as well as just "feet", i.e. making her move around me, going backwards, sideways & forwards, walking over tarps, poles, etc etc, all building up trust, confidence and rapport BEFORE you even think about the "feet" issue!! Ten minutes or so a day is good to aim for, little and often better than overload infrequently. You could build up a little TREC-style obstacle course and "play" with that together; if you can find anything from Vanessa Bee's Horse Agility sessions on-line, that would really help you. All this will make your little mare think about what she's doing generally with her feet, and will make her respect you as herd leader, so that when the time comes for you to want to pick up her feet, she'll already be in the groove for that.

(Edited), yes, DO keep yourself safe and have all the protective gear you can on! Hard-hat and steel-capped boots essential. Even consider body-protector too.......... also, if you can, make sure there's someone else around at the yard while you're messing about with her feet, just in case...

Last edited:

aoibhinn98

Visit site
^^^^ This. I've seen it used with Parelli, which I instinctively dislike, but having said that don't throw the baby out with the bathwater as it might be one way of getting your pony used to someone touching her legs and feet.

I bought a little 4yo mare last summer: she'd been barefoot, and when we tried to get shoes on we discovered that my nice sweet little girly had an opinion on that!! She was a little cow basically; but luckily the farrier I used was very patient and we did manage to get there. Interestingly, she was more of a madam to get her FRONT shoes on than her hinds!

OP is yours a cob by any chance? And a traditional/gypsy cob at that? I ask this because quite often these little horses have been, shall we say, raised in a fairly "rough" environment (not helpful), where they've been treated a bit roughly, and remember it.

You WILL get there; its just a matter of slowly slowly, and doing what you can and not what you can't (or she isn't happy with). Yes you could sedate her, and may have to if there is an issue with her feet.

The other issue is, there may be a reason she's uncomfy about her feet being handled: my little coblet mare had feather-mite when I had her (lots of these cobs do), and that wasn't helping at all coz she was obviously uncomfortable around her feet. So you may have to get the vet out, sedate her, and get him/her to take some skin samples/clippings to see what is happening, and then sort that out first and foremost, as this might well be a lot of the problem.

It seems OP like you're doing all you can, for now, which is to take things slowly and not rush her. It might help to have a professional come along to work with you and her, because at an early stage it is sooooh damnably easy to have a problem which will only resurrect itself in the future if not handled right. You need someone of the right calibre, I'd suggest an IH affiliate or person of this ilk who could help you and work with you both - it would also help to have someone different around her as this will happen with the farrier.

Like hacking solo: be confident that you WILL get there. It will need a lot of time, commitment, and effort, but I'm pleased to say that my little girl is getting a lot better with the farrier each time round, tho' we do have a little chuck of the toys out the pram just occasionally!!

Good luck! Once a horse has given over custody of its feet, you'll know that they REALLY trust you and the rest will be easy!

What I found helpful with mine, was to do work on the ground as well as just "feet", i.e. making her move around me, going backwards, sideways & forwards, walking over tarps, poles, etc etc, all building up trust, confidence and rapport BEFORE you even think about the "feet" issue!! Ten minutes or so a day is good to aim for, little and often better than overload infrequently. You could build up a little TREC-style obstacle course and "play" with that together; if you can find anything from Vanessa Bee's Horse Agility sessions on-line, that would really help you. All this will make your little mare think about what she's doing generally with her feet, and will make her respect you as herd leader, so that when the time comes for you to want to pick up her feet, she'll already be in the groove for that.

(Edited), yes, DO keep yourself safe and have all the protective gear you can on! Hard-hat and steel-capped boots essential. Even consider body-protector too.......... also, if you can, make sure there's someone else around at the yard while you're messing about with her feet, just in case...

Definitely being safe around her, wearing my hat any time I'm handling her and I'm using the glove tied to a stick for the time being to stay out of reach of hind legs! She is an ID/Sporthorse type so not very feathery at all, hopefully no feathermite present then :) She is very opinionated so far, if I try to push the boundaries any more than she is comfortable with the front leg comes us and she paws the ground, she lifts it quite high actually, so working on nipping that habit in the bud.

Something that I also find quite intriguing is the fact that every morning without fail, her straw bed is all pushed right to the back 1/4 of the stable even though it is all evenly spread out the night before. I wonder is this her being anxious and pawing/dragging her feet? I know that all horses are different when it comes to their beds but does anyone have any experience of this particular type of behaviour?

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Something that I also find quite intriguing is the fact that every morning without fail, her straw bed is all pushed right to the back 1/4 of the stable even though it is all evenly spread out the night before. I wonder is this her being anxious and pawing/dragging her feet? I know that all horses are different when it comes to their beds but does anyone have any experience of this particular type of behaviour?

There used to be a Norman Cob at our yard, that I rode about three weeks out of every four; I had trouble getting him to lift his feet for cleaning and he also used to drag his feet inside his stable, pushing the straw up against the walls until he was standing practically on bare concrete.

He didn't paw or scrape at the ground, or have any other nervous repetitive movements that I ever saw, so I think that he just wasn't lifting his feet when moveing around...

gnubee

Visit site
Given the issues you had this visit and the fact that you are not currently doing road work, why do you need to target getting fronts on next visit? Even if you have her lifting feet well by the time of your next farrier visit the trim process can be quite tricky for them with having to balance themselves for a longer period and have the patience to b have for all four feet. Unless you really need shoes right now I would focus on asking the farrier for a quick trim on all four feet to keep themin shape, but generally be doing everything I could right now to plan to make your next farrier visit as quick and easy as possible, and build back up to shoeing just in front once you know she can behave consistently for a trim.
I would probably also have mnyour position be thinking really hard about getting her sedated now to have shoes off. Firstly pulling shoes is quite a strange sensation for them if the shoe is not loose and that doesn’t seem like the best way to set her up for an easy next farrier visit, but more importantly I would worry right now about what happens if the shoe comes loose/ half off and you need I removing fast to avoid damage if you can’t pick up feet.
There will be loads of people I’m sure who tell you Why you should expect horse to behave straight away or a good farrier and trainer could get a set of shoes on next visit, but you have a young horse and are building its understanding of life right now so why wouldn’t you do whatever you can to introduce things in easy steps and set it up for good experiences?

aoibhinn98

Visit site
Thank you for reply Keith_beef, seems like a similar enough situation. As far as I can see she is dragging feet when moving and also doing a little bit of pawing, resulting in all of the straw being shoved right up against the back wall. Maybe this will change once she is used to picking up her feet, who knows.

That's an interesting thought gnubee thank you, may try just the trim depending on how much prgress we have made :)