Can't work him out - does he just hate shows?!

billylula

Visit site
Daughter's pony is a 13.2 cob x. He's very bonded with our other pony and won't load without him which is another issue...
He is amazing at PC rallies (which tend to be on a surface) - particularly jumping, always clear, never stops, goes away from other ponies in the line to jump his round etc etc, often named 'star pony!' by instructors
Take him to a show and its another matter. Refuses to go into the ring - once in he will jump quite nicely round although never seems at his best and a bit reluctant. Do more than one class and you are asking for trouble
No way will he go back in the ring and will buck if you use the whip. Showing (ie WH which we really wanted to do with him!) is a disaster as he will NOT leave other ponies in the line up.
XC and hunter trials he is very good although again reluctant to start, once he starts he's lovely.
I cannot work him out! He's had his back checked and physio said he did have some stiffness as when he came to us he had badly fitting saddle, she's treated him and he should be OK - if it was pain surely he
wouldn't jump so keenly and nicely in rallies? And if it was the surface (which he definitely likes) then why does he go so well XC??
He used to be a nice little dressage pony before he came to us but we are too nervous to do dressage with him - the one time we tried he refused to enter the arena and then was so nappy daughter couldnt
complete the test!

Any advice or encouraging words welcome!

L&M

Visit site
What a shame as sounds a lovely pony otherwise...

If it was my pony I think I would try an in hand class and see if you still have a problem.

Alternatively, find an older/more experienced rider to take him in the ring and see if they can ride through the nappiness?

See what others suggest and good luck.

Goldenstar

Visit site
We used to call it being ring shy , my second pony came to us because she was ring shy , great at rally's fantastic out hunting safe to hack and for a child to ride alone but she would not go an inch at a show .
She had been doing WH before she came to us she worked until she was in her late twenties she never changed .

billylula

Visit site
Yes - ring shy - that describes him perfectly! Honestly I have taken him to rallies where parents have asked to buy him when we outgrow him - he is so honest and forward and fun. But once they see him at a show they soon change their mind! He's a fab hack too - as near to bombproof as it gets - I trust him to look after my 8 year old who rides him confidently off lead rein and canters off and brings him back etc.
My older daughter tried riding him in a pairs class where he had to leave his friend :-/ He absolutely planted and refused to go - eventurally he 'unstuck' and shot round at about a million miles an hour :-/

billylula

Visit site
Although...he does go quite happily into an indoor arena near us to do showjumping. He's won and been placed there. He seems to really like it. It's as if he hates the atmosphere at shows and just clams up.

Gwyntbryn

Visit site
Sounds like something has happened to him at a show in a "former life" ie before you got him. Possibly he napped with a previous rider and got a thrashing for it. I have a gelding who had gastric ulcer disease and associated being worked in a manège with being in pain, although he will hack out fine and can be lunged in a manège. I don't think it's anything we'll over come now.

STRIKER

Visit site
Whats he like in the collecting ring, will he go away from other horses and jump the practice jump. When it is nearer your time to enter the ring make sur he is moving around the practice ring and keep moving to the arena, dont take him from doing nothing i ghe practice ring to walking in to the arena, get him going, no time for walking. You need to growl from your stomach and be standing by the entrance gate when he goes through, teach the growl at home with a little slap of the whip he refers growl to slap, equals get going