Can't work out what is best with this mare

ChestnutConvert

Visit site
Long story short I have taken on a mare that needs restarting after having a foal. Bit of a gamble as her owner only got her when she was in foal so we couldn't be 100% on how she would be coming back into work.
I currently feel lost, we haven't progressed much if anything she is putting barriers up, not wanting to do more then walk in the school, started to mini rear when doesn't want to do something and so on. Going to book some lessons but I just can't get that spark or feeling that this is right.
I feel deep inside that I'm not the one to do this for her, if anything my confidence is being knocked and I guess I'm answering my own question really. If I had bought her she would be going off to be restarted so doesn't that tell me that I'm not the one to be doing this?

JackFrost

Visit site
Restarting horses is not easy, depends on the horse but IMO it's best left to the experts or pros if you don't really know the background. Do you know why she was put in foal? Sometimes it's because the horse had problems as a ridden horse.
The resistance and rearing ring alarm bells. Could be physical issues and before restarting you would ideally want a complete physical check of everything. With respect, no I don't think you should continue, this should be done properly or not at all.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Long story short I have taken on a mare that needs restarting after having a foal. Bit of a gamble as her owner only got her when she was in foal so we couldn't be 100% on how she would be coming back into work.
I currently feel lost, we haven't progressed much if anything she is putting barriers up, not wanting to do more then walk in the school, started to mini rear when doesn't want to do something and so on. Going to book some lessons but I just can't get that spark or feeling that this is right.
I feel deep inside that I'm not the one to do this for her, if anything my confidence is being knocked and I guess I'm answering my own question really. If I had bought her she would be going off to be restarted so doesn't that tell me that I'm not the one to be doing this?

Honestly, I think you should step away. Restarting a horse without known history is always risky, and if your confidence is being knocked, that is not great for you.

If you do decide to carry on, I think the owner needs to tell you/find out:

-Exactly what the mare has done in the past?
-Why she was put in foal?
-If the mare is medically healthy?
-How long she had off in total- was it just whilst pregnant, or was there a longer break first?

Do you know for sure that she was in full work before being put in foal? As my first suspicion would be she is resistant because she doesn't actually understand what is being asked of her!

sport horse

Visit site
Maybe she was put in foal because they could not ride her? A pretty awful reason for breeding from anything but plenty of it goes on. Personally, I would not waste any time, money or most important confidence on her. There are plenty of nice horses out there and they all cost the same to feed and shoe etc. Harsh, I realise, but realistic.

paddi22

Visit site
We get rescue horses in to restart and don't have any idea of their past histories. being honest, the worst ones that come in are mares that have just been used for breeding, as unless the have good bloodlines, they have usually just been put in foal because people couldn't ride them for whatever reason (physical/mental). if you took on this horse as a cheap project you would be better cutting your losses now because you will end up PUMPING money into a horse like this.

when we get them in they get a full check with vet, physio, farrier, dentist. there's no point even starting them at all until they are all checked out because even a tooth problem can just bring the whole thing to a halt. has the mare had a full check up for everything?

have you any idea was the mare ridden previously at all? we often don't have a clue here, but you can usually tell by their reaction to tack a lot of the time. have you done groundwork and long lining or did you pop straight on her?

it sound like your gut is telling you this is an enormous undertaking and you are right. can you return her?

ChestnutConvert

Visit site
It's a long story but she was imported from spain by a lady that imports and sells, we have videos of her being ridden and jumped there. The current owner found out she was in foal the day before she bought her so of course we don't know exactly where when how.
You have all said what I am thinking although others have told me to not give up. I think the main thing is that I have now realised that it's too much for me to take on and I'd be much happier with a horse that is currently in work whether it is young or a bit older.
Luckily she is on loan so won't be a problem with her going back I just don't want to think that I have given up but my confidence is being knocked

fankino04

Visit site
I'd agree with the others and say it's not worth risking your confidence. I have a field ornament that I bought as an unbroken 3 year old, I found out several years later when I met someone who happened to have known her when she was younger that she had been attempted to be started several times and given up on each time as her behaviour was unmanageable. She actually had a sacroiliac issue from a badly locking stifle that took lots of work to keep on top of. I did get through her issues and had her going nicely but my confidence was too bashed to enjoy it and everytime we had some time off (even a week) it was hell to make myself get back on so instead I've stopped putting myself through it and let her chill in the field for the rest of her life.

Muddywellies

Visit site
If you have discounted all pain related issues incl ulcers, then this horse needs restarting by a pro. In Spain, horses are handled very differently, meaning the horses are very compliant. Then they come over here to our lush grass, quality hay and feed, and very 'kind' handling, and sure enough, the wheels then fall off.
Unless you are extremely experienced and fearless, with real stickability, I would step aside and let someone else do it.

JackFrost

Visit site
If you have discounted all pain related issues incl ulcers, then this horse needs restarting by a pro. In Spain, horses are handled very differently, meaning the horses are very compliant. Then they come over here to our lush grass, quality hay and feed, and very 'kind' handling, and sure enough, the wheels then fall off.
Unless you are extremely experienced and fearless, with real stickability, I would step aside and let someone else do it.
I have heard this before - horses that were great in Spain and became unrideable when they got here, just due to different riding and handling. Knowing her Spanish background, if her owner did want to pursue restarting, after all physical checks, a good idea might be a UK rider with a grounding in spanish horses.

fiwen30

Visit site
I definitely wouldn’t be spending time, energy, and confidence on starting/restarting someone else’s bolshy ex-brood are for them! You’re just right in thinking that she should be sent off to be started professionally, and that’s up to her owner to do, not for you.

ChestnutConvert

Visit site
have you any idea was the mare ridden previously at all? we often don't have a clue here, but you can usually tell by their reaction to tack a lot of the time. have you done groundwork and long lining or did you pop straight on her?

it sound like your gut is telling you this is an enormous undertaking and you are right.

I have videos of her being ridden when she was imported walk trot canter and a small jump, to be honest she has to be tied up to get the saddle on. Could be ulcers I guess but I suspect that her history isn't as straight forward as you'd like.

I think deep down I just know that this isn't the situation for me, there will be some one put there for her eventually

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think the owner needs to have a proper work up done on the horse by a vet before continuing to try to ride her, sounds like she has pain somewhere I would want to completely rule that out before carrying on or you are putting yourself at risk.

ChestnutConvert

Visit site
Why have you been landed with the job, ChestnutConvert? This Spanish woman seems to be taking advantage of you.

I have been looking for a loan, took a chance I guess. Was always a gamble but sadly not one that seems to be going in my favour so I think I'm best to back out before something happens or I'm left with no confidence. The owner is genuine but she doesn't know much more than me I guess just that she was imported to here and then sold

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's one of those things that there could be many different causes for, and even if you found one there then might be others. You don't own her so don't have control of the situation to go through all those.
From what you have written it would also seem to me that neither of you are going to do the other any good.

skint1

Visit site
I think it's kind of you to try and help this mare and her owner, but if you aren't feeling confident I think it's not unreasonable to reassess the situation, not worth getting hurt for. Good luck with whatever you decide!

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I can't see how this can work out well for you. If you do get her sorted and going nicely (which would probably need to involve vet checks, saddle fittings and lessons at the min, not to mention your own time and effort) do you have any guarantee the owner won't take her back or sell her as soon as she's going ok?