Canter advice?

Lyndseyclewis

New User
Visit site
A bit of advice needed
my 16.2hh gelding is 16, he's got a terrible habit of throwing his neck from side to side, and up and down when cantering, it's worse when I try to slow him down as it is terribly unseating. It feels like his whole body is like a snake.
All his back, teeth etc are checked and he's fine
ive tried a Dutch gag and a Waterford but no difference and he has a martingale on.

my other mare is 16hh and 6 she's good the only thing is she salivates so much when ridden it annoys her and throws her head around as the slob really annoys her. She's in a basic egg but French link no issues stopping her etc. some biting advice?

thanks in advance

gina2201

Visit site
You say this is in canter, what about walk and trot, is he soft and rounded and forward in these paces and it's purely the canter or is it simply more exaggerated in the canter? Hard to advise, perhaps a video might be useful?

Moomin1

Visit site
I'm not sure why you would have tried the gag or waterford in this instance. Nevertheless, I would hazard a guess that something is making him very uncomfortable in canter. As for what, well it may well be a process of elimination case to find out.

What bit is he currently in?

Emma_H

Visit site
Could it be headshaking? The up and down especially is typical.
My boy does this, confirmed with vet, nose net helps him.