Canter help please

nemlin

Visit site
Really need some opinions please, my friend's pony has recently started bucking when cantering in company. We've just moved yards, and the said pony is now much happier as he is living out all the time and has lost weight. He has always been good as gold, and still is when out on his own - however he has suddenly decided to buck when cantering out with company.

My friend and I are quite confident it isn't his back/saddle or anything physical as he only bucks when in company, and it is a single "yeeha" kick out with a squeel. The problem is my poor friend is beginning to lose confidence
frown.gif
She has been lunging him before riding him to try and take away any freshness but all it seems to be doing is making him fitter and more keen to run.

The only other things we've thought about are
A) Continue riding out in company but keeping to walk and trot so he cant anticipate cantering (he is good as gold and will walk and trot like an angel through any field)
B) Have a complete month of just walking - taking the pressure off (for my friend's confidence to reform slightly)
C) Lessons/ letting our instructor ride him (we're trying to book one for next week)

Has anyone got any other comments/suggestions that we could try? My friend has come on so far with this pony and I really don't want her to go back to square one
frown.gif
Sorry for the essay

malibu211211

How the hell do I know??? I can barely remember my
Visit site
You are still hacking in the same area, aren't you?

Just wondered whether he has got so used to cantering in the same places that he's anticipating it now and just can't contain his excitement
blush.gif
wink.gif

Is he in front or behind when he does it?
My old boy D used to buck when behind
blush.gif

He's obviously very happy now and likes to show it
grin.gif

Must be hard to be cross with him as he has such a sweet face and so cheeky looking too
tongue.gif
grin.gif

Your friend could put a neck strap or breastplate on to tuck her finger's under for a bit more security. I hack with a breastplate and call it my 'Jesus Christ' handle for those moments when you just have to shout 'Jesus Christ'
blush.gif
grin.gif
It does make me feel a whole lot more secure.
I got my boys back checked recently even though I didn't feel there was a problem and it turns out he was quite sore through his neck and it has made a difference since being treated. Might be an idea to get it checked.
Sorry if I'm not much help
blush.gif

nemlin

Visit site
Thanks for reply, we are still in same area, but we've now got loads of new fields to ride in so its not really anticipation (maybe this is why?!)

He doesn't buck if he's in front, only if he's behind or if other horses catch him up. He will quite happily canter in front and be good as gold until he's caught up!

I don't find it hard to get cross with him (cos I worry about my friend) BUT its impossible to stay mad at him cos of his cheeky cute face
blush.gif
grin.gif

I will pass on message about neckstrap what a fab idea, didn't think of that! And also about getting back checked.
Bl**dy ponies...
confused.gif

joeanne

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
:
Your friend could put a neck strap or breastplate on to tuck her finger's under for a bit more security. I hack with a breastplate and call it my 'Jesus Christ' handle for those moments when you just have to shout 'Jesus Christ'
blush.gif
grin.gif
It does make me feel a whole lot more secure.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have just brightened my day no end, that raised the biggest smile by miles
grin.gif